Reload this Page >

Anyone in Mandurah, Perth?

Anyone in Mandurah, Perth?

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:41 am
...and loving it!

Snaphappy in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Mandurah, Perth?

Hi
We are renting and building in Port Kennedy. Been here 7 months and loving it. Port Kennedy is about a 20 min drive North from Mandurah, next bay up from Seceret Harbour. It is a lovely area, has plenty ammenities around, and 5 mins from Ennis Ave, which takes you anywhere you want. 45 mins to City, which my other half does every day. Says he loves the drive as it is more scenic than when in U.K.
We have a lovely quiet beach 5 mins away and they are going to put a boat launch in very soon. Problem is prices are going up by the minute...we were advised to wait when we arrived, but if we had we wouldn't be able to afford what we have now....and be very aware that if you build the price goes up and up with extras....many of which you would think were included. We had been warned and my other half asked them to be straight up front with us and give us a finished price, but it has still escalated! If you want more info feel free to pm me...don't want to bore everyone by ranting on!
Still have open views on schools...quite behind U.K. but very friendly. Much more informal too...not necessarily always a good thing. Our daughter is settled in the local school but not really been challenged enough. She is 8 and just going into year 3 in Feb. She was very disappointed at having to wait as all her friends in U.K. went up in September. Our other option is to send her private...but $$$$$ so not sure. I feel we owe it to her to give her the best but budget determines!
Sorry for going on....first posting on here so I could cover every topic quite easily....
Thats all for now...

Caroline
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:51 am
Just Joined

kirst is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julesandco
Have you not heard the news? There was a shooting this week in Greenfields and apparantly it's not that hot an area! A man went loopy, shopt his wife and teenage daughter and his eight year old daughter fled the house just in time!

We're in Secret Harbour (about 20 mins to the north of Mandurah). We only arrived in November, our kids are yet to start the local primary school, but it's got a good reputation.

Halls Head seems nice (the part that I've driven through). Port Bouvard is VERY nice if you like man made canals - as are the Mandurah canal developments.

Jules

Thanks for the info so Greenfields is like Brixton!!!!!! Can you let me know the name of the Primary School and how the kids get on. Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:58 am
Just Joined

kirst is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snaphappy in Oz
Hi
We are renting and building in Port Kennedy. Been here 7 months and loving it. Port Kennedy is about a 20 min drive North from Mandurah, next bay up from Seceret Harbour. It is a lovely area, has plenty ammenities around, and 5 mins from Ennis Ave, which takes you anywhere you want. 45 mins to City, which my other half does every day. Says he loves the drive as it is more scenic than when in U.K.
We have a lovely quiet beach 5 mins away and they are going to put a boat launch in very soon. Problem is prices are going up by the minute...we were advised to wait when we arrived, but if we had we wouldn't be able to afford what we have now....and be very aware that if you build the price goes up and up with extras....many of which you would think were included. We had been warned and my other half asked them to be straight up front with us and give us a finished price, but it has still escalated! If you want more info feel free to pm me...don't want to bore everyone by ranting on!
Still have open views on schools...quite behind U.K. but very friendly. Much more informal too...not necessarily always a good thing. Our daughter is settled in the local school but not really been challenged enough. She is 8 and just going into year 3 in Feb. She was very disappointed at having to wait as all her friends in U.K. went up in September. Our other option is to send her private...but $$$$$ so not sure. I feel we owe it to her to give her the best but budget determines!
Sorry for going on....first posting on here so I could cover every topic quite easily....
Thats all for now...

Caroline
Caroline your not going on just saying how you feel and your comments are greatly appreciated. I agree on you views on the schools.... I also am worried that my 8 year old will not be challenged but will be ready to approach the school if this is the case.... Do you know anything about Mandurah???? So hard to know which suburb to start in. We are currently in outer SE suburbs of Melbourne.....can;t get work and is not the place for us. What did you mean by PM you? Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:12 am
...and loving it!

Originally Posted by kirst
Caroline your not going on just saying how you feel and your comments are greatly appreciated. I agree on you views on the schools.... I also am worried that my 8 year old will not be challenged but will be ready to approach the school if this is the case.... Do you know anything about Mandurah???? So hard to know which suburb to start in. We are currently in outer SE suburbs of Melbourne.....can;t get work and is not the place for us. What did you mean by PM you? Thanks
Thanks Kirst.
Mandurah is very nice, but like everywhere it has its good parts and not so good parts, and I don't know enough about it to tell you which is which yet. We go on a weekend to walk by the water and see the dolphins and have great FishnChips at Cicerellos. Their is a wonderful Performance centre their and a good cinema, but as for living I will have to investigate.
As for PM I meant Private Message. Not really sure hoe to do that tho...lol .
To send this I clicked the reply tab on your message, usually I click the one at the bottom. If this comes through in the forum will someone tell me how to pm...please!lol
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:13 am
...and loving it!

Its ok...just found how.....seek and you will find!!!lol
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:02 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hi Kevin,

We've got a Bayliner 205 - probably a comparitive baby!! I know what you mean about the migraine! I turned to Paul after our first trip out and said, "I thought this was supposed to be relaxing - I've never been so tense!!"

It is just a case of practise. Just picking our moment - maybe when the kids are at school

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Jules
A 205, is that 20 ft?
If it is then its plenty, my boat was 24ft and had a 5ltr V8 260hp inboard and cost a fortune to run and maintain.
If I can get to the stage here to aford another boat then a <20footer with a 75hp outboard will do me fine.

Let me know if you want some crew, though I know as much about launching as you.
We are doing driving licences etc in Rocky tomorrow am and then are going to SH for another look around in the afternoon, still can't decide where we want to live.
Did the run into Perth today from Warnbro took 35 mins to south Perth, the Zoo, each way, this was at 10am going and at 5.30pm coming back.

Kevin
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 2:33 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Hi Kirst,

I'm in Secret Harbour (around a 15 minute drive North of Mandurah). You should definately take a look here. There is currently 1 primary school and one high school, but that will change to 2 primaries and 1 high school in 2007.

The beach is fantastic here (although the waves can be quite large which makes for great surfing) and there is a top class golf course built through the estate. I think there is a website online somewhere. There will also be a small shopping mall built here next year which will be handy.

We had a short term rental in Halls head and didn't think too much of it, but obviously it's a case of each to their own.

Mandurah itself is very nice, but the prices are shooting up around the Marina areas, although you will probably avoid those areas anyway if you have primary aged kids.
Here, here - Secret Harbour is gorgeous.

We could have afforded a place there if we'd made the move in 2003, but things will be tight now. Still would love to settle there though. How many residential areas are built by the beach with a golf course running through it!!

The other great thing about the Mandurah area is it's not nearly as 'cut off' from Perth as it used to be. Loads of lovely new developments adding to the local economy, and the train line being built as we speak.

The other bonus, is you're about an hour nearer the Margaret River region if you fancy a weekend away.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Kevin

I'm in real estate in Madurah and Falcon and have been here for 14 months from Devon, so if you need any help (but not with boats) PM mean and I'll do what I can.

Lindsey

Originally Posted by kevinl
Can't recommend any yet but we are going to drive around Mandurah today, buy a car, a house that sort of thing.

Would be interested if anyone knows anything about Greenfield's, Dudley, Halls Head.

Kevin