Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in Springfield Lakes?

Anyone living in Springfield Lakes?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

wheresnick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone living in Springfield Lakes?

Hi there,
We're moving over to Brisbane this July.....initially living in Redbank Plains but looking to live in Springfield Lakes which we fell in love with last time we were over.
It'd be great to hear from any Brits already living there as we won't know too many people when we arrive. We're both teachers so will be looking for work once we get there.
We'd also appreciate hearing from anyone who could answer any of the following questions.
1. What's the situation with broadband/adsl in Springfield Lakes?
2. How busy is the traffic on the centenery highway 7.00am onwards into Brisbane?
3. What's the Spring Lake Hotel like for families?
4. Do you get any problems with mozzys being close to the lakes?
5. How is Brentwood developing (just down the parkway past Augustine Heights?) That's our reserve if we can't afford Springfield Lakes!

Look forward to hearing from anyone nearby. Can't wait to get out there. Any fellow teachers would be really helpful as we try to suss out the job market.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone living in Springfield Lakes?

Originally Posted by wheresnick
Hi there,
We're moving over to Brisbane this July.....initially living in Redbank Plains but looking to live in Springfield Lakes which we fell in love with last time we were over.
It'd be great to hear from any Brits already living there as we won't know too many people when we arrive. We're both teachers so will be looking for work once we get there.
We'd also appreciate hearing from anyone who could answer any of the following questions.
1. What's the situation with broadband/adsl in Springfield Lakes?
2. How busy is the traffic on the centenery highway 7.00am onwards into Brisbane?
3. What's the Spring Lake Hotel like for families?
4. Do you get any problems with mozzys being close to the lakes?
5. How is Brentwood developing (just down the parkway past Augustine Heights?) That's our reserve if we can't afford Springfield Lakes!

Look forward to hearing from anyone nearby. Can't wait to get out there. Any fellow teachers would be really helpful as we try to suss out the job market.
Hi there! No helpful reply here but excited to see a post that is also full of questions spot on for us!

We are moving to Camira at the end of may (my aunt lives there so staying with her initially then looking to buy), but we did look at Springfield Lakes and I'd love to live there! Did you see all the new development they are doing near or in Redbank Plains called Fernbrook? A lady at the Springfield Lakes Disply village (did you go there?) told us about it so we took a look. Interesting as they are also going to do a train line there as well like in Spring Lakes so could be another alternative?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

We were over last Easter and saw Fernbrooke but was hardly anything there at that point. There again, probably developed a fair bit by now. When did you visit? One thing I did notice is that the prices are a lot less than Springfield Lakes though You can't help but love everything the Lakes area has to offer (apart from the small plots!)
Sounds like we should keep in touch and compare notes as we get ready to move over. I actually know that whole area reasonably well as my wife grew up there and we've been back to visit 3 or 4 times.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:22 am
Just Joined

paultully is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not an expat but I can help - as the local Ipswich City Councillor.

Brentwood Estate at Bellbird Park is going great guns - cheaper than Springfield Lakes and just across Woogaroo Creek from Brookwater where land is selling for up to $550,000 for a 600-800 square metre block.

Have you looked at Augustine Heights being - developed by Delfin - opposite Brookwater and just west of Springfield Lakes before you get to the Brentwood Estate.

The Centenary Highway gets busy in the mornings but is being 4-laned back to the Ipswich Motorway. This, plus a rail line from Darra to Springfield Lakes, should be completed by 2010-2011.

Yes, the Spring Lake Hotel is very family oriented.

I'm happy to answer any other queries on this site or via email.

My direct email is: [email protected]

CR PAUL TULLY
COUNCILLOR FOR DIVISION 2
IPSWICH CITY COUNCIL
18 QUEEN ST
PO BOX 1
GOODNA QLD 4300

"Queensland's Longest Serving Elected City Councillor 1979 -2008"
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

We were over last Easter and saw Fernbrooke but was hardly anything there at that point. There again, probably developed a fair bit by now. When did you visit? One thing I did notice is that the prices are a lot less than Springfield Lakes though You can't help but love everything the Lakes area has to offer (apart from the small plots!)
Sounds like we should keep in touch and compare notes as we get ready to move over. I actually know that whole area reasonably well as my wife grew up there and we've been back to visit 3 or 4 times.
We definitely should, especially as we'll be arriving at similar times! Sounds like you'll have the heads up if your wife grew up there! We've been to Oz 5times in the last 7yrs so feel we 100% know we'll be happy living there, and Brissie especially. Last May being the longest we stayed just in Brisbane and we loved it. Spent about 4weeks in the display villages and viewing properties from the paper in the Springfield area! Is it just the two of you moving or do you have kids?

My cousin goes to school in Augustine Heights and the area does look nice, I will certainly look up the developments there and the Brentwood Estate.

Thanks for the info Paul, and congrats on being the longest serving elected councillor! Fanstatic! May very get in touch with you if thats ok?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
We definitely should, especially as we'll be arriving at similar times! Sounds like you'll have the heads up if your wife grew up there! We've been to Oz 5times in the last 7yrs so feel we 100% know we'll be happy living there, and Brissie especially. Last May being the longest we stayed just in Brisbane and we loved it. Spent about 4weeks in the display villages and viewing properties from the paper in the Springfield area! Is it just the two of you moving or do you have kids?

My cousin goes to school in Augustine Heights and the area does look nice, I will certainly look up the developments there and the Brentwood Estate.

Thanks for the info Paul, and congrats on being the longest serving elected councillor! Fanstatic! May very get in touch with you if thats ok?
Oops, just re-read that and must have been typing to quickly!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Sure. Always happy to help out for residents - and potential residents - of Ipswich.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paultully
Sure. Always happy to help out for residents - and potential residents - of Ipswich.
Yes, thanks for the info Paul. Always a good sign to see someone in your position taking an interest in potential new residents. We did look at Augustine Heights and liked the size of the blocks (twice the size of Springfield Lakes). However, for this reason, it's just a little out of our price range and, position-wise, on a par with Brentwood.
What did you think of Fernbrooke Brisanebound? They seem to have some reasonable house and land packages - around $370,000 for a 4 bed.
By the way, it's just the two of us right now, although planning a family when we get out there. As I said, my wife Alison is Australian so I'm going out on a spouse visa. We're both in our thirties which seems to be the average age of most migrants. How about u guys?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:26 am
Just Joined

My pick would be Brentwood estate at Bellbird Park over Fernbrooke at Redbank Plains.

Redbank Plains has fewer trees and has black soil - which can cause havoc with foundations. Brentwood estate is about to be extended to the southern side of Augusta Parkway where the development will meet Augustine Heights which is pushing west and north.

Augusta Parkway will be 4-laned from Redbank Plains to the Orion Shopping Centre at Springfield Central by the end of the year, weather permitting.

My wife and I (and 2 boys aged 6 and 8) live at Goodna where my office is. We are full-time Councillors in the majority of large Councils in Queensland.

My wife is from the Phillipines. After a "run-in" with the Australian Embassy in Manila in 1998, I became a registered Australian Migration Agent, so that I can give free migration advice to people, based on my knowledge and experience - as part of my role as the local member.

In Australia, lawyers cannot give migration advice (free or otherwise), unless they become registered as migration agents as well. A bit of a closed legal shop really!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:40 am
Just Joined

I have a website:

Division 2 News

which has a story from today's Queensland Times in Ipswich which states that property prices in Bellbird Park have increased 20.2% in the past year.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:27 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

We moved out here in October 2007 and have been living in Springfield Lakes since we arrived, firstly with the brother in law and family now on our own and we absolutely love it.
If you are thinking of buying here get in as soon as you arrive as the prices are rising and the new land releases are being snapped up pretty quick. We've also noticed that the plot sizes seem to be getting smaller, the new development at the 2nd lake, Wildflower Meadow I think it is called looks like virtually all villa or courtyard size plots.

The question about broadband is a very sticky one at the moment because you can only get adsl if someone unsubscribes due to the shortage of ports at the exchange. We have been using wireless which was crap until a new mast went up near the sports oval which improved the signal but when we moved house the guy leaving was already on adsl and we got his vacant port.

There is not a great mozzie problem here because of the water it seems no better or worse than anywhere else and certainly not as bad as some places we've been on holiday (Turkey is far worse than anywhere here!!)

Even though we had rellies here the first thing we did was get involved with the local community by joining one of the leisure groups (The Lifestyle Leisure Group) and we are also founder members of the new Greater Springfield Lions Club. This stopped us from just surrounding ourselves with fellow brits and we have made some excellent friends through our involvement with these.

On a personal note we are not too enamoured with the Spring Lake Hotel, we find it over priced and very impersonal, but there is no competion for them at the moment so they can dictate the relatively high prices but some people love it. As I say it is just a personal observation.

If I can be of any more help just ask away either on this thread or pm me and I will be only too happy to help.

Loz x
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Yes, thanks for the info Paul. Always a good sign to see someone in your position taking an interest in potential new residents. We did look at Augustine Heights and liked the size of the blocks (twice the size of Springfield Lakes). However, for this reason, it's just a little out of our price range and, position-wise, on a par with Brentwood.
What did you think of Fernbrooke Brisanebound? They seem to have some reasonable house and land packages - around $370,000 for a 4 bed.
By the way, it's just the two of us right now, although planning a family when we get out there. As I said, my wife Alison is Australian so I'm going out on a spouse visa. We're both in our thirties which seems to be the average age of most migrants. How about u guys?
Hello! Fernbrook had hardly begun when we were there and no dispay homes etc but after what Paul said and the fact it's that little bit further out then I think we'll give it a miss. I remember driving past the Brentwood sign but we never thought to investigate. My auntie lives on Cairns Road in Camira and Brentwood is literally right near them! Perfect! I'm thinking Springfield Lakes may be too expensive for us although we really need to suss out mortgages. Is it right you have to have 6months worth of payslips first? Loz said buy as soon as you get here but think we'll have to wait…..I guess that’s not a problem if we're gunna rent for 6months anyway, will prob work out well! How much were the Brentwood packages? I can't see prices on their website.

We had thought about buying a cheaper established house around that area but Hubby wants a new house (and I won't say no!) Even though he's a brickie we're coming out so he can have an easier life and he won't want to be renovating a house after work!!! New is good though, they are all big enough that space isn't an issue when kids or guests arrive so chances are we will stay there for many years!

I'm 28 and Ian's in his 30's and we also hope to start a family when we arrive. I'm a massage therapist but am studying for my aussie massage quals at the moment so I can get insurance and offer health rebates. I've been working in Recruitment for the last 6years so in the meantime and to help out the mortgate situation I'll get an admin job when we arrive while studying eves and w/e.

We should definitely keep in touch and meet up when we are all in Oz. Where do you live in the UK?

Paul, any tips for Ian on finding Bricklaying work when he arrives? We had thought of calling some of the house builders to see who their contractors are and taking that route as well as scanning the papers for job ads - anything else that might work better? (Took a look at your news website - its great!)
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:19 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst prices are on the rise in all areas, and specifically Ipswich, redbank plains and bellbird park !!

Be careful.

BellBird park !!! Be aware, has quite a high rate of crime, and unsociable damage ( graffitti )

The new super shire nr springfield lakes should be underway soon, largest planned sub-city !

Springfield lakes is ok.. but the blocks are quite small. Good mix of house types though.

Ste
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Whilst prices are on the rise in all areas, and specifically Ipswich, redbank plains and bellbird park !!

Be careful.

BellBird park !!! Be aware, has quite a high rate of crime, and unsociable damage ( graffitti )

The new super shire nr springfield lakes should be underway soon, largest planned sub-city !

Springfield lakes is ok.. but the blocks are quite small. Good mix of house types though.

Ste
Oooh, whats the new Super Shire? Where can I look this up? I thought the lakes were the newest/biggest thing happening in that area?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:35 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, whats the new Super Shire? Where can I look this up? I thought the lakes were the newest/biggest thing happening in that area?
Will try and get details now.

BRB

There was something on the news couple of months back, that the original architect and development planner for Springfield Lakes, was spear heading a new larger west corridor development for the Ipswich Area.

I cannot find the link at the moment, but its a goer ! Apparently, something to do with Ipswich 2020 plan.

Ste

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Jan 21st 2008 at 8:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.