Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in the Richmond area?

Anyone living in the Richmond area?

Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:59 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone living in the Richmond area?

Hi Guys

I'm struggling to find some info on the Richmond area - any help appreciated. Hubby has an interview in two weeks for a post at RAAF Richmond. I've heard some bad press about the place and want to do as much research as possible. In all honesty the job itself isn't our main concern as at the end of the day they offer a job and pay for us to get out there and so in some respect take a lot of the risk away. We do however have a 5 year old daughter and so I need to find out as much as I can about the area and the schools there.

Any websites or personal experience would be very much appreciated!

TIA

Ty!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:06 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone living in the Richmond area?

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Hi Guys

I'm struggling to find some info on the Richmond area - any help appreciated. Hubby has an interview in two weeks for a post at RAAF Richmond. I've heard some bad press about the place and want to do as much research as possible. In all honesty the job itself isn't our main concern as at the end of the day they offer a job and pay for us to get out there and so in some respect take a lot of the risk away. We do however have a 5 year old daughter and so I need to find out as much as I can about the area and the schools there.

Any websites or personal experience would be very much appreciated!

TIA

Ty!
Do you mean inland Sydney Richmond?

if that one - bit far from the beach lifestyle ...like a minimum 1.5 hr drive

hotter in Summer and colder in winter

but otherwise most people I know DO NOT slag it off

Cheers
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:17 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Do you mean inland Sydney Richmond?

if that one - bit far from the beach lifestyle ...like a minimum 1.5 hr drive

hotter in Summer and colder in winter

but otherwise most people I know DO NOT slag it off

Cheers
Hi Sandra

Yes thats the Richmond I meant (sorry should have said!). Thanks for the comments! Its nice to finally hear something that isn't negative about the place! I'm sure theres more feedback to come though and if we go I certainly want to go with my eyes wide open.

Anyone else got any info please?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:36 pm

Been looking further afield now and Penrith has been recommended to me. Anyone living there who could advise on the area/schools/cost of living etc please?

TIA

Ty!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:06 am
ABCDiamond

Been looking further afield now and Penrith has been recommended to me. Anyone living there who could advise on the area/schools/cost of living etc please?

TIA

Ty!
Penrith has a nice shopping centre.
Nearby St Marys is full with hairdressers, cost about $7-$10 for a basic ladies cut !! We moved from St Clair, very near there, to the Brisbane area, and now my wife finds that the same haircuts are really expensive up here - $25 to $60+.

Houses in those areas are cheaper than more central Sydney. eg: 3 bed houses from about $300k.

Some nice houses in the Glenmore Park area, a new area just south of the Motorway, minutes east of Penrith.

Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Penrith has a nice shopping centre.
Nearby St Marys is full with hairdressers, cost about $7-$10 for a basic ladies cut !! We moved from St Clair, very near there, to the Brisbane area, and now my wife finds that the same haircuts are really expensive up here - $25 to $60+.

Houses in those areas are cheaper than more central Sydney. eg: 3 bed houses from about $300k.

Some nice houses in the Glenmore Park area, a new area just south of the Motorway, minutes east of Penrith.

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty good (especially the hairdressers prices!!) - thats sold it for me!

What was your reason for moving if you don't mind me asking?
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:10 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty good (especially the hairdressers prices!!) - thats sold it for me!

What was your reason for moving if you don't mind me asking?
When we moved, our house in St Clair was valued at $380k, and a bigger 4/5 bed house 2 mins from the water here was $385k.
My wife got a transfer with her job, to a place just 15 mins away, but on Sydney wages So we moved and bought the new house

Whats the wording ? "An offer to good to refuse"
We didn't sell our St Clair house though, just in case But we've now decided to sell it - http://britishexpats.com/classifieds....php?product=8

Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When we moved, our house in St Clair was valued at $380k, and a bigger 4/5 bed house 2 mins from the water here was $385k.
My wife got a transfer with her job, to a place just 15 mins away, but on Sydney wages So we moved and bought the new house

Whats the wording ? "An offer to good to refuse"
We didn't sell our St Clair house though, just in case But we've now decided to sell it - http://britishexpats.com/classifieds....php?product=8
Can't beat that for a reason!!! Good on ya!!