Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in Oz with Dad's in UK

Anyone living in Oz with Dad's in UK

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Anyone living in Oz with Dad's in UK

Just found out, its Fathers Day on Sunday 19th June. Still enough time to send gifts/cards - I think!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 6:30 am
julie

jul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone living in Oz with Dad's in UK

Originally Posted by Neil S
Just found out, its Fathers Day on Sunday 19th June. Still enough time to send gifts/cards - I think!
Thanks for that, had completely forgotten.
Still time to sort something out.
Thanks Neil

Julie
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jul44
Thanks for that, had completely forgotten.
Still time to sort something out.
Thanks Neil

Julie
Yes but where to buy cards?? I really thought I had this sussed!! Then promptly forgot
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:07 am
julie

jul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Yes but where to buy cards?? I really thought I had this sussed!! Then promptly forgot
Hadn't thought of that, will try and look this weekend.
If you find any please let me know!

Julie.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a big newsagent in Belmont Forum once, and I noticed in their card stands there were cards in the displays marked "UK Father's Day" or something like that and other occasions from elsewhere in the world. I expect most of the big shops in big cities sell them, haven't noticed in our city.

I just have a reminder set on Outlook, so that when it's Father's Day here in September, I go and buy mine and put them away for the following June, and in May I buy the Mother's Day ones ready for the following March. In fact I was so organised before we emigrated, that I even bought my cards a year in advance to take with us!

Now if you time your emigration right, you might get to celebrate twice. My hubby got Father's Day cards off the kids in June in the UK, then again in September in Oz. I drew the line at buying another lot of pressies though
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

You could try looking on moonpig.co.uk they have all sorts of personalised cards. You can add your own message and they will post it for you. Have some good cards, don't know about the fathers day ones though as I haven't looked.

Tracey
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:49 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Fathers Day is the same date here too? is it not? if so why is Mothers day March in the UK & May here?......sorry probably a really dumb question !!

Donna.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by madsad
Fathers Day is the same date here too? is it not? if so why is Mothers day March in the UK & May here?......sorry probably a really dumb question !!

Donna.
From a UK website:
When is Father's Day?
Father's Day is celebrated around the world on Sunday 19th June 2005.

From an Australian Website:

Father's Day in Australia is Sunday 4th September 2005

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:37 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia ...

Mothers Day - 2nd Sunday in May
Fathers Day - 1st Sunday in Sept

NJJ asked why Mothers Day was different a few weeks ago, my reply was that its probably cos its easier for us stupid aussies to remember .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jun 3rd 2005 at 12:41 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:40 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From a UK website:
When is Father's Day?
Father's Day is celebrated around the world on Sunday 19th June 2005.

From an Australian Website:

Father's Day in Australia is Sunday 4th September 2005

So...why are the dates different ?who invented mothers/fathers day Do you know?
God,i sound like my seven year old here!!

Donna.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Donna.
It was invented by a company called Hallmark, and the reason for the different dates was to increase sales and profits.

Now I suppose i'd better go and try to find the REAL answer

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It was invented by a company called Hallmark, and the reason for the different dates was to increase sales and profits.

Now I suppose i'd better go and try to find the REAL answer

Yes please !!

Donna.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:51 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Donna.
I think the Aussies use the same dates as the Americans, oops ni I ahve just googled and in the states they celebrate mothers day on the same day as the Aussies and fathers day on the same day as the brits????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:53 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I think the Aussies use the same dates as the Americans, oops ni I ahve just googled and in the states they celebrate mothers day on the same day as the Aussies and fathers day on the same day as the brits????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
This is getting confusing now

The story of mothers day from a US website

http://www.holidays.net/mother/story.htm

The Story of Mother's Day

The earliest Mother's Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honor of Rhea, the Mother of the Gods. During the 1600's, England celebrated a day called "Mothering Sunday". Celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent (the 40 day period leading up to Easter*), "Mothering Sunday" honored the mothers of England.
*(For more information on Lent/Easter check out - Easter on the Net)
During this time many of the England's poor worked as servants for the wealthy. As most jobs were located far from their homes, the servants would live at the houses of their employers. On Mothering Sunday the servants would have the day off and were encouraged to return home and spend the day with their mothers. A special cake, called the mothering cake, was often brought along to provide a festive touch.

As Christianity spread throughout Europe the celebration changed to honor the "Mother Church" - the spiritual power that gave them life and protected them from harm. Over time the church festival blended with the Mothering Sunday celebration . People began honoring their mothers as well as the church.

In the United States Mother's Day was first suggested in 1872 by Julia Ward Howe (who wrote the words to the Battle hymn of the Republic) as a day dedicated to peace. Ms. Howe would hold organized Mother's Day meetings in Boston, Mass ever year.

In 1907 Ana Jarvis, from Philadelphia, began a campaign to establish a national Mother's Day. Ms. Jarvis persuaded her mother's church in Grafton, West Virginia to celebrate Mother's Day on the second anniversary of her mother's death, the 2nd Sunday of May. By the next year Mother's Day was also celebrated in Philadelphia.

Ms. Jarvis and her supporters began to write to ministers, businessman, and politicians in their quest to establish a national Mother's Day. It was successful as by 1911 Mother's Day was celebrated in almost every state. President Woodrow Wilson, in 1914, made the official announcement proclaiming Mother's Day as a national holiday that was to be held each year on the 2nd Sunday of May.

While many countries of the world celebrate their own Mother's Day at different times throughout the year, there are some countries such as Denmark, Finland, Italy, Turkey, Australia, and Belgium which also celebrate Mother's Day on the second Sunday of May.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:55 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

the story of fathers day frm the same website

The Story of Father's Day

Father's Day, contrary to popular misconception, was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards. In fact when a "father's day" was first proposed there were no Father's Day cards!
Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a "father's day" in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.

The first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane Washington. At about the same time in various towns and cities across American other people were beginning to celebrate a "father's day." In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Finally in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.

Father's Day has become a day to not only honor your father, but all men who act as a father figure. Stepfathers, uncles, grandfathers, and adult male friends are all honored on Father's Day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.