Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone living in a Kit home

Is anyone living in a Kit home

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is anyone living in a Kit home

I am looking into building a house, but am finding that the wait time is anything between 12 and 18 months depending on the builder, due to the lack of materials and the demand in this area for building.

I have also taken a look at the Kit homes, particularly 'Ross Squire Homes', and was wondering whether any one has one of these homes.

My Brother lives in a beautiful kit home, and seem very happy with it. Infact, their home is much warmer in the winter than the one that we live in, and cooler in the Summer too.

If any of you bods out their are living in one of these homes or similar, I would be very grateful of your views.

Whisky
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone living in a Kit home

By the way, if anyone is interested, take a look at www.rsh.com.au

I have a price list here too.

Whisky
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:28 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whisky

Whisky
I've worked in a few Sue. Something to be wary of is that often parts are missing/damaged during transit and you have to wait ages for replacements.
My colleague [he's a painter /decorator] Did an owner builder course to enable him to be the builder [could just be Qld regs]
His kit had loads of bits missing and when he complained the supplier sent out a team of men to fix it up f.o.c sounds good but they bolted the bracing in place and the inspector now wants it welding. Not good as the insulation is placed and his only alternative is to screw the gyprock to the wall with spacings only 100mm apart. A nightmare of a build :scared:
Don't be put off though it looks excellent now
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Whisky
They look fantastic - have you got the price list? - if you have & can put the link on here I would be interested in seeing it - we are coming to Perth in January so it could be an option as the waiting list for materials is so long.

cheers

pockygoes
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've worked in a few Sue. Something to be wary of is that often parts are missing/damaged during transit and you have to wait ages for replacements.
My colleague [he's a painter /decorator] Did an owner builder course to enable him to be the builder [could just be Qld regs]
His kit had loads of bits missing and when he complained the supplier sent out a team of men to fix it up f.o.c sounds good but they bolted the bracing in place and the inspector now wants it welding. Not good as the insulation is placed and his only alternative is to screw the gyprock to the wall with spacings only 100mm apart. A nightmare of a build :scared:
Don't be put off though it looks excellent now

Hi Cresta,

Although we are thinking of a kit home, we just haven't got the time to put it up ourselves. It would have to be put up by them, although putting it up yourself works out a lot cheaper.

We have been and had a look at the show home, which is an Avon, but we have also been to a couple of places where they are being put up.
One of them, a 2 storey, put up by them has been completely finished in 20 weeks. Another, which is a Queenslander (not on the site unfortunately) is being put up by the people themselves, and seems to be a very slow process, but he has had no difficulty with anything as far as bits missing etc.

Another problem that we have come across when having a look at most of these builders, is that they won't come out as far as where we are buying our land, whereas Ross Squire Homes will deliver free within a 200klm area.

I have heard nothing but good reports from these people, but thought that it would be good to hear from some of you on here.

Whisky
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pockygoes
They look fantastic - have you got the price list? - if you have & can put the link on here I would be interested in seeing it - we are coming to Perth in January so it could be an option as the waiting list for materials is so long.

cheers

pockygoes

I can't put the link on here, because I am useless, and there is quite a long list, but if there are any you think you like, then I can give you a rough idea.

There is another company called T&R Homes, www.trhomes.com.au which we have also been to take a look at, and they are very good too, but I warn you, the pictures don't do any justice to the actual home, but saying all that, I think that Ross Squire Homes have the edge.

When you get here, you should take a look at both, and they are bothe within a few miles of eachother, Maddington and Midvale.

Whisky
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a shame they are not in Victoria....some of the homes look lovely!!

Will have to see if there is anything similar...
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 9:32 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

Check these babies out.

http://www.aussiehouses.com.au/exportpricelist.htm

also on this site photos, virtual tour. Nice looking stuff, and a little different.

Steve

I am looking into building a house, but am finding that the wait time is anything between 12 and 18 months depending on the builder, due to the lack of materials and the demand in this area for building.

I have also taken a look at the Kit homes, particularly 'Ross Squire Homes', and was wondering whether any one has one of these homes.

My Brother lives in a beautiful kit home, and seem very happy with it. Infact, their home is much warmer in the winter than the one that we live in, and cooler in the Summer too.

If any of you bods out their are living in one of these homes or similar, I would be very grateful of your views.

Whisky
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 9:37 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, this link is better . Australian prices, from pack to lockup stage to completed.

http://www.aussiehouses.com.au/aussie_modules.html

Whisky
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

I agree they're beautiful. It's our dream to build our own home, I spend loads of time drooling at self-builds on the internet - esp. eco-friendly such as earth-sheltered/rammed earth buildings - there are some beautiful ones across Australia.

I see you've got the visa Hels - big congrats!!!!!!

No doubt loads more

Maybe we'll see you out there - but having major shakes at the moment as my Mum has admitted that she would be very sad to see us go and it's hit me a bit hard

Best of luck - PM me when you've got a min.

Originally Posted by Hels
Its a shame they are not in Victoria....some of the homes look lovely!!

Will have to see if there is anything similar...
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dottyspots
I agree they're beautiful. It's our dream to build our own home, I spend loads of time drooling at self-builds on the internet - esp. eco-friendly such as earth-sheltered/rammed earth buildings - there are some beautiful ones across Australia.

I see you've got the visa Hels - big congrats!!!!!!

No doubt loads more

Maybe we'll see you out there - but having major shakes at the moment as my Mum has admitted that she would be very sad to see us go and it's hit me a bit hard

Best of luck - PM me when you've got a min.

Have PM'd you hon....

xxx