Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in Brisbane

Anyone living in Brisbane

Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone living in Brisbane

Anyone living at present in Brisbane area or have been for a long holiday can you give any info on good areas to live and bring up children 16 months and 5 years.Obviously we realise we would need to find jobs etc.What is the prospect of finding work in the butchery trade? If anyone can give any advise it would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone living in Brisbane

Originally posted by pete 10
Anyone living at present in Brisbane area or have been for a long holiday can you give any info on good areas to live and bring up children 16 months and 5 years.Obviously we realise we would need to find jobs etc.What is the prospect of finding work in the butchery trade? If anyone can give any advise it would be much appreciated.
Dont know about the first couple of questions as I am hoping to move to melbourne later this year but i have applied to the tra using my qualifications as a butcher. There seems to be plenty of work in the butchery trade but the money aint that great (about 35k$) which is below average wage which is why i will do somthing different when I get there.
Check out this web address www.jobsearch.gov.au
Hope this gives you a bit of help.
Best of luck Paul
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers best of luck for your move to Melbourne.!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default checking out Brisbane

We too are looking for info. about the Brsibane area.We've looked at the Whitsunday/Airlie beach area bit further up and like the look of the houses in Rockhampton/Mackay type of area,but our biggest concern is the mutterings of humid/muggy weather around all these parts every time we mention liking the sound of it there!!!Bit off-putting as we too have a (nearly)five year old and don't want to end up living with the humidity etc if we're all going to be grumpy all the time!
We're trying to find a family-friendly area,not too built-up,near the beach etc in a typical Queenslander style house so will bump up your thread in the hope that we'll both get some info!!
Mrs.Neal
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: checking out Brisbane

Originally posted by neal
We too are looking for info. about the Brsibane area.We've looked at the Whitsunday/Airlie beach area bit further up and like the look of the houses in Rockhampton/Mackay type of area,but our biggest concern is the mutterings of humid/muggy weather around all these parts every time we mention liking the sound of it there!!!Bit off-putting as we too have a (nearly)five year old and don't want to end up living with the humidity etc if we're all going to be grumpy all the time!
We're trying to find a family-friendly area,not too built-up,near the beach etc in a typical Queenslander style house so will bump up your thread in the hope that we'll both get some info!!
Mrs.Neal
You also have to remember that the beaches are dangerous for swimming for over 6 months of the year over the summer period because of the Box jellyfish (stingers).:scared:

G
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, as I keep telling all the people who post on here every 2 or 3 days asking for a "nice area to live in Brisbane" the problem is that your posts are way WAY too general. You have to give more info on the sort of area you want & a host of other things that are important to you to get any meaningful input. I would love to help, but from your post pete, that could cover more than half of Brisbane. Mrs Neal, yours could cover most of Qld! LOL

If you can give more detail of what you need/want then there a good chance of narrowing it down a bit further. If you want some ideas try checking out these threads

Know anything about Brisbane

Where to live in Brisbane - opinions from the forum - PeteY put together a good document which gives alot of info on different areas, download it from this thread.

Mrs Neal, in regards to the humidity bit, with all due respect unless you have been here & know what central Qld & north is like for humidity in summer, Im afraid most people will always try to steer you away from it. The reason of course is that many many people come to Brisbane & complain about the heat here & struggle, the further north you go, the hotter it gets. I think its just a general assumption that many poms wouldnt be able to take the heat & humidity, especially straight off the plane. Ive lost count of how many expats Ive seen say "Oh its OK, I dont mind the heat" who get here & then say "ooooooh I didnt realise it would be this hot!" You may be the exception to that rule, but the truth is that the chances are very low .
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention, Graylings point is a good one for people wanting to head up north, the stingers mean that you cant utilise the water that looks so tempting for more than 6 months of the year.

I just did a search on threads posted about Brisbane in the last 6 months, heres the list. :scared: . Ive posted in some of the threads, some I havent. But most of it would make interesting reading, if you are game & have the time. 122 topics, take your time LOL. Good luck

Threads about Brisbane - click on the pages top right hand corner to look at the rest.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by neal
but our biggest concern is the mutterings of humid/muggy weather around all these parts every time we mention liking the sound of it there!!!Bit off-putting as we too have a (nearly)five year old and don't want to end up living with the humidity etc if we're all going to be grumpy all the time!:
We have a 7 year old daughter, and even in the few weeks of high humidity here, she seems to be the one least affected by it.

Do others with children notice if they can handle the weather better ?

The humidity isn't too bad, once you get used to it. As long as you have at least the bedroom air conditioned

Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
We have a 7 year old daughter, and even in the few weeks of high humidity here, she seems to be the one least affected by it.

The humidity isn't too bad, once you get used to it. As long as you have at least the bedroom air conditioned
ABC, are you talking about here in Brisbane or in Nth Qld? Cos even I struggle with the humidity up there & Im a Qlder! :scared:
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:59 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

Joseph (10) is struggling with the heat in school, 42 degrees in his classroom even with ceiling fans. He jumps in the pool as soon as he gets home, though, then he's fine.

The mossies have also turned their attention to him. They're leaving me alone, still, so far!

Jane

P.S. Mrs Dagboy is right, it is hotter than you think its going to be!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 10:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
ABC, are you talking about here in Brisbane or in Nth Qld? Cos even I struggle with the humidity up there & Im a Qlder! :scared:
Here in Victoria Point
I've just noticed the reference to Brisbane and Rockhampton etc. Yes different areas, I've never been higher than Noosa !!!

Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:54 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

I agree that the children do cope with the heat no problem. I think it is where we get used to the aircon at work.

Dawn
Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Being vague

Hi Mrs.Dagboy-you're right,vague is the word at the moment...trouble is I was so ill for so long before the hysterectomy just before xmas that I didn't get involved in choosing the area in Oz that we would eventually live in,and then I woke up one day about 2 weeks ago and thought bloody hell we're emigrating and I haven't had my say!!
Hubby has been working his socks off researching Perth(his first choice)and I started my HRT and began to feel human again and stuck my oar in...!!!
Trouble is I don't KNOW where I want to be(we were in Oz 10 years ago and have always wanted to go back but now that we are older and have a child our needs are different)-I love the Queenslander houses and the coast all up past Brisbane/Whitsundays but appreciate the type of heat/weather Perth way on would probably suit us better.
I'm just bloody awkward I know-think I may be floundering simply because I haven't been well enough to get involved(womans perogative to be contrary ),so all your advice very much appreciated and good to have the heat/humidity thing clarified(at least I know it's not just lots of bleak people I've met shaking their heads ).
Will check out some of the websites you posted I think.
BY the way-are you a teacher?If not you should be-I felt very ashamed for posting such useless vagueness and stood in the corner with my hands on my head for a LONG while..!!!.. -only joking of course although you would be good at keeping unruly kids in check! Mrs.Neal
Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone living in Brisbane

Originally posted by pete 10

We were on holiday over the New Year in the Brisbane area. If you want to live right near Brisbane town centre, here are a couple of places we liked, Fig Tree Pocket, Sherwood, Mount Gravatt, Sunnybank, and Calamvale, all these areas seem nice, very hilly and interesting not flat like I imagined. Every road had tons of great big trees and huge flowering bushes, much prettier that I thought it would be. We didn't like most of Redcliffe as it looked tatty and tired, it was Southend-On-Sea with tropical plants, Wynnum was a big disapointment, it made Redcliffe look jumping. This is just my opinion, everyone see beauty in different things and some people might hate the areas I have just mentioned, but if you are new to this forum you will soon find out people will love to shoot you down in flames for having any opinion.

Jane
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Mrs Neal, in regards to the humidity bit, with all due respect unless you have been here & know what central Qld & north is like for humidity in summer, Im afraid most people will always try to steer you away from it. The reason of course is that many many people come to Brisbane & complain about the heat here & struggle, the further north you go, the hotter it gets. I think its just a general assumption that many poms wouldnt be able to take the heat & humidity, especially straight off the plane. Ive lost count of how many expats Ive seen say "Oh its OK, I dont mind the heat" who get here & then say "ooooooh I didnt realise it would be this hot!" You may be the exception to that rule, but the truth is that the chances are very low .

LOL I cannot count how many times we have had UK visitors in summer, we always tell them to come between April and October but no, they love heat, absolutely love it. Then they arrive and its total shock "OMG I didnt think it was that hot". As mrs D says its always exactly the same. Plus of course they have to try and tan then get sunstroke

As for North QLD, Old Megalania did one of his famous graphs on here, it showed a combo of say 35 with 90% humidity actually feels more like 55. He wasnt joking. You wont catch many aussies moving up there thats why the SE has all the population boom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.