Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone living around the Illawarra/Wollongong area?

Anyone living around the Illawarra/Wollongong area?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

tubbybear has a spectacular aura abouttubbybear has a spectacular aura abouttubbybear has a spectacular aura about
Smile Anyone living around the Illawarra/Wollongong area?

Hi all!
Have been an avid 'earwigger' on this forum for a good 10 months or so now and have felt your pains and glories with the whole emigration thing as we've been struggling to sell our house in this slack UK market for 10 months. Fortunately we've got all our visa side of life in order as we ( myself, husband and two wee ones), fall into the category of 'been there, done that, come back to UK and are returning to oz for the better'. Thus our main struggle over the past months (much like a lot of you), has been selling the house, however finally we have managed to agree a sale today! So to those of you still waiting to sell don't give up hope or the mad last minute tidy up before a viewing, you will sell!
Thus other than introducing ourselves to the forum and wishing you all luck with your emigration processes, we were hoping to hear from anyone heading to or living around the Illawarra/wollongong area. Having lived in NSW and QLD before we appreciate all that oz has to offer but know also only too well how far away from UK we will be and would love to meet some fellow Expats who maybe heading in our direction.
Look forward to hearing from you and good luck to you all in following your inner calling to better your lives and take on new challenges.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone living around the Illawarra/Wollongong area?

Hi Tubbybear.

We are not going to your area but wanted to say hello. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:40 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy and welcome to the forum. There are a few BE members in that neck of the woods already - and me and the family (wife, 4 year old son) will be moving out that way in summer 2006. My parents live in Berry, my big sister lives in Roberston and we're looking at the Shoalhaven Heads, Kiama, Gerringong area ourselves. Thanks to my aussie dad I'm a passport holder already and we plan to validate my wife's and son's visas when we got out for all of Dec/Jan.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tubbybear
Hi all!
Have been an avid 'earwigger' on this forum for a good 10 months or so now and have felt your pains and glories with the whole emigration thing as we've been struggling to sell our house in this slack UK market for 10 months. Fortunately we've got all our visa side of life in order as we ( myself, husband and two wee ones), fall into the category of 'been there, done that, come back to UK and are returning to oz for the better'. Thus our main struggle over the past months (much like a lot of you), has been selling the house, however finally we have managed to agree a sale today! So to those of you still waiting to sell don't give up hope or the mad last minute tidy up before a viewing, you will sell!
Thus other than introducing ourselves to the forum and wishing you all luck with your emigration processes, we were hoping to hear from anyone heading to or living around the Illawarra/wollongong area. Having lived in NSW and QLD before we appreciate all that oz has to offer but know also only too well how far away from UK we will be and would love to meet some fellow Expats who maybe heading in our direction.
Look forward to hearing from you and good luck to you all in following your inner calling to better your lives and take on new challenges.
Hi Tubbybear
Well......next year we plan to move to this area....Shellharbour, Windang, W'gong type areas..........just want to get a nice warm feeling between now and then that:

the exchange rate will be better
the house will sell for loads
I can get as good a job there as I have here.....
the commute to Sydney from W'gong area is do-able
the school we find is good
.......there's a lot more I could write about but right now I am scared stiff about it all.

It would be good to keep in touch now and when we are there....what are your plans and what are you looking to do?

cheers & good luck
Old Aug 25th 2005, 12:41 pm
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Anyone living around the Illawarra/Wollongong area?

Yep, we'll be heading towards Wollongong area (where my sis lives) if we can get the visa that is!

Hi all!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

hello, we are going to wollongong(suburbs)dont know where yet will decide when we get there! hopefully in oct/nov this year. we already have our visa's and agreed a sale on our house this monday. its me my husband and our daughter 16mths. oh and our dog!
so hello to you!
when are you planning to go?

Last edited by island.girl; Aug 25th 2005 at 2:28 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:01 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Anyone living around the Illawarra/Wollongong area?

Hi all!
Hi, my hubby, son and I are moving to Wollongong/Illawarra region in January. I start a nursing degree in Wollongon Uni in Feb. Have found some great info about the Illawarra region online and we cannot wait to get there. Not sure which part of the Illawarra we'll settle in yet though - It all looks fabulous! Good luck with everything and keep in touch! x Rachel
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
Hi, my hubby, son and I are moving to Wollongong/Illawarra region in January. I start a nursing degree in Wollongon Uni in Feb. Have found some great info about the Illawarra region online and we cannot wait to get there. Not sure which part of the Illawarra we'll settle in yet though - It all looks fabulous! Good luck with everything and keep in touch! x Rachel
My big sister works at Wollongong Uni - head of marketing
Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

tubbybear has a spectacular aura abouttubbybear has a spectacular aura abouttubbybear has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Anyone living around the Illawarra/Wollongong area?

Hi all and thanks for the 'welcome' to the forum. Nice to hear that there are already a few of you in that area and still more moving over soon, fingers crossed i know!
Having just sold the house and hoping all goes through without a hitch we are now deciding whether or not to stay with family for the Christmas period and then head over to OZ early January time, Hmmmm there's always a decision to be made.
We are probably looking around the Shell harbour area initially, then take it from there. We are very excited indeed as know only too well how lush a part of Oz it is having lived in Sydney for a couple of years. Took us some time to decide to return as is not a decision made lightly when leaving family and friends behind, more so now we've got a couple of little ones ourselves, but it's the knowledge that we know we can provide a better quality of life in the long term for our family that drives us back. Anyway enough of the whys and wherefores about the reasons behind it all, we all have our motivations.

So, yeah hopefully we can keep each other up to date with the count down to the big move and even better perhaps make a few friends along the way!
Those of you on the move in the next few months do you have any pearls of wisdom regarding transferring funds from house sale and who are you more in favour of for shipping your worldly goods? I know i could root through some relevant threads for that info, but I'm too lazy and besides it would be nice to hear from you again.
Bye for now.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

hi think we are using pickfords to move we had a guy round yesterday and seems reasonable, think its good as will b pickfords all the way.(allied pickfords in oz) as for money havn't worked that one out yet
we cant wait to go and have christmas in the sun!!

Hi all and thanks for the 'welcome' to the forum. Nice to hear that there are already a few of you in that area and still more moving over soon, fingers crossed i know!
Having just sold the house and hoping all goes through without a hitch we are now deciding whether or not to stay with family for the Christmas period and then head over to OZ early January time, Hmmmm there's always a decision to be made.
We are probably looking around the Shell harbour area initially, then take it from there. We are very excited indeed as know only too well how lush a part of Oz it is having lived in Sydney for a couple of years. Took us some time to decide to return as is not a decision made lightly when leaving family and friends behind, more so now we've got a couple of little ones ourselves, but it's the knowledge that we know we can provide a better quality of life in the long term for our family that drives us back. Anyway enough of the whys and wherefores about the reasons behind it all, we all have our motivations.

So, yeah hopefully we can keep each other up to date with the count down to the big move and even better perhaps make a few friends along the way!
Those of you on the move in the next few months do you have any pearls of wisdom regarding transferring funds from house sale and who are you more in favour of for shipping your worldly goods? I know i could root through some relevant threads for that info, but I'm too lazy and besides it would be nice to hear from you again.
Bye for now.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:22 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by island.girl
hi think we are using pickfords to move we had a guy round yesterday and seems reasonable, think its good as will b pickfords all the way.(allied pickfords in oz) as for money havn't worked that one out yet
we cant wait to go and have christmas in the sun!!
We'll be out that way for December and January - validation trip for the missus, but a chance to reccy other places too. Spent last xmas out there too - knowing I'll be in the sun at xmas is the only thing that's made this crappy english summer bearable