Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone lived/living around the CAIRNS area?

Anyone lived/living around the CAIRNS area?

Old Jan 18th 2004, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Anyone lived/living around the CAIRNS area?

Hi,

My wife and I are now thinking of Cairns instead of Melbourne. Would be interested to hear from people experiences there, how difficult was it getting a job?, whats pay like?, work hours?, how much crime?, if you left, why?. If you stayed why?. All these sort of answers would be most appreciated.

cheers,
65KK
Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone lived/living around the CAIRNS area?

Originally posted by 65 million
Hi,

My wife and I are now thinking of Cairns instead of Melbourne. Would be interested to hear from people experiences there, how difficult was it getting a job?, whats pay like?, work hours?, how much crime?, if you left, why?. If you stayed why?. All these sort of answers would be most appreciated.

cheers,
65KK
65, it might help more if you give an idea of what you do, your age group etc. I cant really help, I was up there at xmas but only for a weeks holiday, I know some people on here have said that its difficult to find work, but from my perception the place is heaving with tourists & there is a massive amount of construction etc going on. I cant imagine it would be easy to find work in IT for example, but I would have thought any sort of construction or tourist/customer service work would have been alot easier to get.

It is certainly one of the most beautiful places you're likely to visit, but holy hell it gets HOT up there, I've spent most of my life in Brisbane & I really felt the heat, I cant imagine what it would be like for someone coming from the UK, most expats complain that the southern states are hot! I cant even imagine why you would consider Melbourne as a destination but then change it to Cairns . They are like chalk & cheese. I would seriously consider a trip there in summer (which is the wet season) first, if you havent been before deciding to settle there.

Hopefully someone can answer the rest of your questions. Good luck .
Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

toots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cairns

Hi 65 million,

My brother and sister in law moved to Cairns in July 2003, they moved back to Australia having been home 5 years and hated every minute of it.

They have rented a place and rents seem to be much cheaper up there but they have stated more than once how much hotter it is than Brisbane.

They are fruit picking to tide them over, it is apparently very good money, but are moving South to Banaraby next month.

I will try to find out what sort of work is available and what salaries are like.

Toots
Old Jan 19th 2004, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi both,

Thanks for your help, I have visited twice before but both times were in March, pretty damn hot, but I think I could handle it. we got married at Kewarra Beach resort, just north of Cairns.

I'm a Packaging/Display designer, so not really expecting to get skilled employment when we move over. The reason for the change in settlement place was because we felt Melbourne was where wehad to go (because of jobs) and Cairns was where we reallty want to go. if we save hard for a year or two we may be able to pay 60% of a modest house and so have a low mortgage and not require huge salaries.

I have a decent job here in the Uk, but at only 34 years old I'm already tired of the ratrace and want out ASAP.

Looking forward to taking the foot off the gas pedal of life!

regards,
65KK
Old Jan 19th 2004, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road
Cool

Hi both,

Thanks for your help, I have visited twice before but both times were in March, pretty damn hot, but I think I could handle it. we got married at Kewarra Beach resort, just north of Cairns.

I'm a Packaging/Display designer, so not really expecting to get skilled employment when we move over. The reason for the change in settlement place was because we felt Melbourne was where wehad to go (because of jobs) and Cairns was where we reallty want to go. if we save hard for a year or two we may be able to pay 60% of a modest house and so have a low mortgage and not require huge salaries.

I have a decent job here in the Uk, but at only 34 years old I'm already tired of the ratrace and want out ASAP.

Looking forward to taking the foot off the gas pedal of life!

regards,
65KK
Hi 65 million

We arrive in Cairns on the 3rd April 04. Going to stay at Palm Cove for a couple of weeks. Until we have purchased cars and found rental accommodation.

Will keep you informed as to how we get on.

Cheers

Lee

Last edited by leejo; Jan 19th 2004 at 4:07 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Palm Cove - pretty beach, not much else there though and accomodation ( especially to buy ) can be astronomical. New developments there ( apartments ) upwards of $250,000.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone lived/living around the CAIRNS area?

Hi

My boyfriend is from Cairns and we are planning on moving back there in June this year, once we ge the de facto visa.

Yes it is hot, but I think it's like anywhere, you have to acclimatise and get used to the weather. The best thing is to get a unit/house/appartment with air con!!

My father in law is in the midst of installing these for our arrival as my boyfriend has been away from that climate for two years now so I think he will feel it too!!!

It is beautiful and the people are friendly too, I would definately give it a go!

Bye for now

Natbat

Hi,

cheers,
65KK
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by steandleigh
Palm Cove - pretty beach, not much else there though and accomodation ( especially to buy ) can be astronomical. New developments there ( apartments ) upwards of $250,000.
Hi Leigh,

Thought Palm Cove would be a nice and easy introduction to Australia, for a few weeks.

Cairns isn't far if we want a night out - 20 mins from what I can remember.

Won't be buying any $250K apartment. Like the look of Redlynch or Freshwater. Maybe Holloway beach closer to the city and not as touristy seems more local residents.

Do you know any of these areas?

Cheers

Lee
Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mate,

redlynch, freshwater, kanimbla, brinsmead, whitfield all nice inland areas ( only 20 mins to beach. Depends whether you want modern or traditional really. Brinsmeads really nice, but you'd be hard pushed to find a queenslander there. More of your new home/self build type of stuff. Nice all the same though.

All the coastal areas are lovely, palm cove, clifton, trinity, kewarra, holloways and machans beaches, especially like Yorkeys knob though. ( The names a bit dubious, but a beautiful place to live and with homes of a bit more character).

Hope you enjoy your trip.