Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in/near Stanwell Park, NSW?

Anyone live in/near Stanwell Park, NSW?

Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live in/near Stanwell Park, NSW?

I would have thought more like 90 minutes for Avalon tbh, of course Northern Beaches stretches over a long area, my journey is about 45 minutes door to door in the morning, about an hour in the evening. Still a moot point because you are not going to get 4 bed in the northern beaches (with a shorter commute) for $750. I think something does need to give in the wish list and sounds like you would be happy to put up with the longer commute time, I just wouldn't push it too far, Cronulla is about as far as I would want to do on a daily basis.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

I live in sans souci I am working in lindfield/ killara area at the moment getting to work is not a problem it's getting home I dont use the public transport system though .cornulla is about as far south as I would like to go think it would take around the 1 hour actual train time from here to get to town hall.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

barnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nice

I was starting to have second thoughts about Stanwell Park after comments about the commute but looking back at the last 15 years a long commute is kind of the norm for us (or my husband more specifically).

He did Peterborough to White City (London) for 5 years, Sheffield to NW Leeds for 5 years and currently does a 30 mile drive into Newcastle (for 2 days) and a Newcastle-Heathrow flight, working out of the London office for the remaining 3 days. He is therefore away from the rest of his family for almost half the week.

I figure a Stanwell Park - Sydney commute has got to be better than that?? Will he at least get a seat?

Sally xx
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Red_V_Roger;10749219][QUOTE=stevenglish1;10749213]I'm in Wollongong and commuted to Sydney for afew years whether by car or train, makes for a long day, specially when it all goes tits up.

Certainly one of my wife's issues...its alright saying on the train timetable, but how often does it every run right? And when it goes wrong on the line south of Sutherland, it seems to really go wrong.

Even more so...few business are within reach of Central Station, which means changing potentially to another train as well!

But on the positive side, as a place we really like Stanwell Park...I don't want to be negative about the place itself.
Most south coast trains, especially the and pm ones go right through the city now via town halll, martin place and kings cross.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:54 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

OK, having lived in both Manly and now Bulli I think I can give a pretty honest appraisal of the commute.
Stanwell Park is an hour to the CBD by train and in fact your route goes all the way to Bondi Junction so NO issues with offices elsewhere in the CBD. I commute regularly by train to Kings Cross and its actually a fairly pleasant 1.23hr journey and you will have no issues getting a seat at Stanwell Park. We moved to the south coast because it is cheaper than the Northern Beaches and still has the old fashioned beach suburbs that we class as 'typical Australian'.
I was serious about the mixing with locals by the way, several other expats have mentioned it but I tend to just use your own opinions on that score, it can be very subjective. For the OP, also have a really good look at Thirroul which will be cheaper and is the main train station in the area, even more regular than Stanwell Park. Its a great beach suburb with plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants and also easy access to 3 different road routes into Sydney...just in case of accidents etc!
We live in Bulli which is the next suburb down from Thirroul but if I could buy in Thirroul I would.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
OK, having lived in both Manly and now Bulli I think I can give a pretty honest appraisal of the commute.
Stanwell Park is an hour to the CBD by train and in fact your route goes all the way to Bondi Junction so NO issues with offices elsewhere in the CBD. I commute regularly by train to Kings Cross and its actually a fairly pleasant 1.23hr journey and you will have no issues getting a seat at Stanwell Park. We moved to the south coast because it is cheaper than the Northern Beaches and still has the old fashioned beach suburbs that we class as 'typical Australian'.
I was serious about the mixing with locals by the way, several other expats have mentioned it but I tend to just use your own opinions on that score, it can be very subjective. For the OP, also have a really good look at Thirroul which will be cheaper and is the main train station in the area, even more regular than Stanwell Park. Its a great beach suburb with plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants and also easy access to 3 different road routes into Sydney...just in case of accidents etc!
We live in Bulli which is the next suburb down from Thirroul but if I could buy in Thirroul I would.
I took a brief visit to Thirroul a few weeks back. I was pleasantly impressed. Very pretty, enough shops and cafes to keep you interested.

If the government wakes up and realizes that people like to live near the coast and build some decent public transport north and south of Sydney rather than forcing the western subs down peoples throat then its game on. I mean, an 80km commute to central London can take under an hour, why not in NSW.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
I took a brief visit to Thirroul a few weeks back. I was pleasantly impressed. Very pretty, enough shops and cafes to keep you interested.

If the government wakes up and realizes that people like to live near the coast and build some decent public transport north and south of Sydney rather than forcing the western subs down peoples throat then its game on. I mean, an 80km commute to central London can take under an hour, why not in NSW.
I agree, this country is prime for some high speed rail links, however you'd probably be limited to 2 or 3 main stations along the route, and so smaller towns wouldn't get service (much like the high speed link in the UK) this'd be a damned sight more pricy too.

Back on topic though, I would seriously consider living further out if it's better quality of life for the family. I was perfectly willing to commute from the gong to north sydney, because my family fell in love with the area. Sydney doesn't float my boat one bit to be honest, but the work was there and I made a conscious decision. Good job too really, I'm now working in Karratha so it really wouldn't matter where we'd settled down. the very best to you in making your decision, I know from experience that it's alot of balls to juggle keeping everyone happy.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:01 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

steve english....your not flying rotary wing by any chance are you???
Old Jun 11th 2013, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be seriously considering the move all together if I couldn't fit my family within a dwelling with a reasonable commute from work that was near a beach. Most people don't live within walking distance (say 10 minute walk) from a beach. A short drive to the beach perfectly acceptable. I was actually suprised how quick it was to get from Bulli to Cambelltown, not that I would live in Cambelltown but for those who love the McMansion there is a road direct and if I recall correctly it was only about 25 minutes.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:27 am
Social Grenade Thrower

A lot of people in Bulli travel to and from Campbelltown as well as the City.....its a fairly easy route by car. Picton or Appin Road if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
steve english....your not flying rotary wing by any chance are you???
nah mate, I'm strictly in land and 2 wing, yoyu fifo too?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:33 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Nope....its just a mate of mine works in Karratha on the Bristows SAR helo and made a wild assumption
I am ex RN aircrew and design flying training for the RAN and Army here.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 12:05 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Stanwell Park is nice, but like OP above, look at THIRROUL, vey nice place great beach and better train service.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

barnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nice

Hi,
I've tried looking at Thirroul on google street map but not sure I've found where the main cafes/shops are. Can anyone let me know the name of the main streets?

Cheers

Sally
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by barnsleylass
Hi,
I've tried looking at Thirroul on google street map but not sure I've found where the main cafes/shops are. Can anyone let me know the name of the main streets?

Cheers

Sally
Try googling this

295 Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Thirroul, New South Wales, Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.