British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   anyone live near emerald (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-live-near-emerald-546926/)

rrhysevans Jul 4th 2008 8:30 pm

anyone live near emerald

let me know, we will be there soon!

Pollyana Jul 5th 2008 12:44 am

Re: anyone live near emerald

Originally Posted by rrhysevans (Post 6535472)

Wow, that'll be a bit different from Wiltshire! Don't remember seeing anyone posting from out that way, and I would've thought they'd have been commenting after the flooding out there earlier this year, but you never know......

claire doyle Jul 5th 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by rrhysevans (Post 6535472)

Yep was living in Blackwater but i escaped! My second son was born in Emerald its a lOT better than Blackwater. Cinema Pool shops etc and you can always go fossiking for rubies (got a ring with a stone from Rubyvale!) Not to many Brits around there when i was there ... going to the mines?

MORCPOM1 Jul 5th 2008 6:04 pm

What brings you to Emerald? I am orginally from Clermont just over 1 hour away. Been in UK for just over 11 years hoping to go home sometime soon. Family still live around that area. We are heading for Townsville but will be travelling back that way to see family. Might meet you for a beer or two, or three what the hell a carton when we eventually get there.:thumbsup:

rrhysevans Jul 6th 2008 6:59 am

Im gonna be working Oaky North Mine, whats the place like?

WelshSarah Jul 6th 2008 10:17 am

Wheres Emerald?

The lakes are near me but......:)

claire doyle Jul 6th 2008 10:50 am

Originally Posted by justsarah (Post 6539646)
Wheres Emerald?

The lakes are near me but......:)

Emerald is about a 3 hr drive west of Rockhampton in Queensland. Rockhampton is sort of in between Cairns and Brisbane.

WelshSarah Jul 6th 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by claire doyle (Post 6539726)
Emerald is about a 3 hr drive west of Rockhampton in Queensland. Rockhampton is sort of in between Cairns and Brisbane.

Thanks!! NOWHERE near me then!!!:D

Pollyana Jul 6th 2008 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by justsarah (Post 6539894)
Thanks!! NOWHERE near me then!!!:D

Nowhere near most places :eek: 883 km (549 mi) NW of Brisbane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald,_Queensland

WelshSarah Jul 6th 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by rrhysevans (Post 6539276)

Thats a proper Welsh name there Rhys!!!:D

MORCPOM1 Jul 8th 2008 9:53 am

Hi Rrhysevans
Well how to describe Emerald, its better than Clermont!:) Its a country town has a few more shops than Clermont, but is expensive especially property. My brother works in the mines in Dysart he has a young family and manages well. Most of my family have at some time worked in the mines. The pay is fantastic and they tend to invest there money in property. There is a small airport in Emerald so you could always go elsewhere on your days off. When do you hope to arrive in Emerald??

mcgilli Dec 22nd 2008 7:56 am

Hi there 'hope you arrived safely hell of a journey isnt it! My son husband and me moved to Rockhampton in November, we are about three hours from you.Would be happy to meet up with others for a beer barbie or chat. How are you finding the weather,? in Rockhampton it gets really hot and humid.but beats the UK cold any day
Lesley

welshviking Dec 23rd 2008 6:15 am

Rhys

Not to sound horrible, but you have heard the current mining conditions? Lots of lay offs, and I believe Oaky was one of them. I'm having a drink with our neighbour who works there tonight i'll find out the latest.

Nice to hear someone going somewhere different though....if you drive to Bris, or generaly south you'll pass us so please stop in and say hi! We're only 6 hrs south of Emerald.

Emerald has a very nice restaurant called the Capricornian (our waitresses mother was from Bridgend!) It'll be a shell shocker in the beginning but at least it's fairly populated so you'll meet lots of people.

If I can help let me know

Pollyana Dec 23rd 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by welshviking (Post 7093444)
We're only 6 hrs south of Emerald.

A short drive by Qld standards :D

welshviking Dec 27th 2008 4:13 am

OK I chatted with the neighbour and it's only the iron oremines that are suffering, so you'll be right.

He also gave me two "Mining Monthly" Magazines that they're given in work, if you pm me your address they're yours.