Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone live/lived close to a train line?

Anyone live/lived close to a train line?

Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone live/lived close to a train line?

Originally Posted by belleandscone
I saw him on the telly! Poor bugger!
Was the guy you saw down near Maidstone? I can't remember the name of the station but it was in-between Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells.

I think it was pretty bad luck to have picked that spot but it just goes to show that things can change quickly for the worse ...
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:12 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
I did have a word with the agent and he spoke to the vendors and they said they get on well with the neighbours on each side, so though I'd take what any real estate agent acting on behalf of the vendors would say with a pinch of salt, he did give the impression of being one of the better ones.
is the agent only 'better' cause he thinks you are about to put an offer in?
I would go and knock on the doors of the neighbours and see for yourself, and while you are there ask if there are any boundry disputes & query what it is like to live in the area/railway line etc
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by walla
We live 100 metres from a 4 lane highway, 500 metres from a railway line and 3k's from one of the busiest airports in Australia (Jandakot).

We never hear a thing after the third bottle of wine.

Thanks for the laugh!!!!!!!!! Made my morning !!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Actually, even if you can withstand the noise, don't forget about the resale and it's lessened value due to the perception of potential purchasers.

Properties that have noise issues or other detractors such as this are more difficult to sell and it doesn't matter how much you "pretty" them up- buyers will still only see the trainlines and the power cables overhead when they inspect.

Take everything the agent says with a grain of salt as well- don't forget he may be all friendly with you but he's better friends with the vendor After all, who's paying him?.....

Good luck with it all and, if you do go ahead and agree to purchase, get a great building inspector who can check for foundation movements. Cracking is common in brick homes close to train lines. Underpinning is not a cost you'd like to be up for when you discover problems after your contract becomes unconditional.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

SydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura about

We rented a place in Cronulla which backed on to the train line (no freight trains) and we were woken up by trains most nights. Never again.......