Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Hornsby (Sydney)?

Anyone live in Hornsby (Sydney)?

Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Default Anyone live in Hornsby (Sydney)?

Just trying to get an idea as to what this area is like as looks like a good option seeing as it's on the line into the centre and property is fairly reasonable. Could anyone who lives there tell me what it;s like ie working class, middle class, leafy, good schools etc ??

Many thanks!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live in Hornsby (Sydney)?

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
Just trying to get an idea as to what this area is like as looks like a good option seeing as it's on the line into the centre and property is fairly reasonable. Could anyone who lives there tell me what it;s like ie working class, middle class, leafy, good schools etc ??

Many thanks!
We stayed in Hornsby for six weeks in holiday rental when we first came over and enjoyed the easy train link and shopping centre access the local swimming pool and RSL and decent cinema restaurants take outs etc etc. But living in the centre has a few drawbacks lots of flats/apartments and quite a transient population, the decent housing (hourse and gardens etc) are a little further out. The parking for using the station is weekday limited unless you get there very very early. Now we are near enough to drive to visit the huge Westfield (shopping) centre and would say it is one of our most frequented places in terms of ease of parking and shops and decent pricing.

Families looking for the accommodation without the Northern beaches / slightly inner burbs prices and who need to commute to the CBD using the train possibly look at the next few stations after Hornsby. I have seen some really nice places around Hornsby but only a few are walking distance from the train station and priced accordingly.

Please do not let me put you off - I am possibly biased to the very quiet burbs "dead" after four years of living in St Ives.

For a general response - Could anyone who lives there tell me what it;s like ie working class, middle class, leafy, good schools etc ..... - Yes all of that.

What ages are your family and what is your highest priority, it might help people give you more details responses.

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sandra
We stayed in Hornsby for six weeks in holiday rental when we first came over and enjoyed the easy train link and shopping centre access the local swimming pool and RSL and decent cinema restaurants take outs etc etc. But living in the centre has a few drawbacks lots of flats/apartments and quite a transient population, the decent housing (hourse and gardens etc) are a little further out. The parking for using the station is weekday limited unless you get there very very early. Now we are near enough to drive to visit the huge Westfield (shopping) centre and would say it is one of our most frequented places in terms of ease of parking and shops and decent pricing.

Families looking for the accommodation without the Northern beaches / slightly inner burbs prices and who need to commute to the CBD using the train possibly look at the next few stations after Hornsby. I have seen some really nice places around Hornsby but only a few are walking distance from the train station and priced accordingly.

Please do not let me put you off - I am possibly biased to the very quiet burbs "dead" after four years of living in St Ives.

For a general response - Could anyone who lives there tell me what it;s like ie working class, middle class, leafy, good schools etc ..... - Yes all of that.

What ages are your family and what is your highest priority, it might help people give you more details responses.

Cheers Sandra
Sandra

We are leaving for Sydney next week and have enrolled the "older" kids in St Ives Primary as we have had friends who lived in that area and it looked nice when we visited last year. We have three kids 7, 5 and 2 and wondered if you could let us know what it is like living there. We hope to rent for the first while we are there. How far to the beaches? shops etc
Thanks

Cam
Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:23 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cammym
Sandra

We are leaving for Sydney next week and have enrolled the "older" kids in St Ives Primary as we have had friends who lived in that area and it looked nice when we visited last year. We have three kids 7, 5 and 2 and wondered if you could let us know what it is like living there. We hope to rent for the first while we are there. How far to the beaches? shops etc
Thanks

Cam
Hiya

Hope I have not bored you with answers before?

St Ives Primary is where my daughter went (she is now in St Ives High) I rate the school....St Ives North is supposed to be a better school?? But both support the selective exams for high school selective places or GAT classes in senior.

So academically you are absolutely fine and I would say for sports and stuff you are ok too. The before and after school care at St Ives primary is great and although aussies family do not tend to use it after about year 5 we had our daughter there right up to year 6 age 12 because it made us feel better!

St Ives.......boring as........it really does not have a life centre and the retirees do tend to take over the shopping centre at times That said we moved here when our kids were 8 and 12 and we both work full time. Andy my hubby took five months off at first and had a ball the social life around the schools and P&C and meeting etc is fantastic.....I think he gave up and went back to work when it came to tennis dates with the girls on Friday...the short skirts and booze would have been too much (or so he told me).

We are now involved with Scouts!!! Well I avoid it and Andy is on the committee as Handy Andy. They are a nice bunch and like to get you involved.

We are 20 mins - 25 if you count getting in the car and getting out, drive from Mona Vale beach (bloody nice and patrolled). A decent express bus service to the CBD (I use it every day) about 45 mins-1 hr depending on traffic.

St Ives has no pub but plenty of restaurants .... we have joined the bowls club in desparation but actually enjoy the very cheap prices and escape from the kids for a drink once a month.

The Church community here is big - just not my thing. You may or may not find St Ives your cup of tea depending on your social life outside the kids?

Honestly I rate the place but get worried about recommending it cause it may not be for all.

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sandra
Hiya

Hope I have not bored you with answers before?

St Ives Primary is where my daughter went (she is now in St Ives High) I rate the school....St Ives North is supposed to be a better school?? But both support the selective exams for high school selective places or GAT classes in senior.

So academically you are absolutely fine and I would say for sports and stuff you are ok too. The before and after school care at St Ives primary is great and although aussies family do not tend to use it after about year 5 we had our daughter there right up to year 6 age 12 because it made us feel better!

St Ives.......boring as........it really does not have a life centre and the retirees do tend to take over the shopping centre at times That said we moved here when our kids were 8 and 12 and we both work full time. Andy my hubby took five months off at first and had a ball the social life around the schools and P&C and meeting etc is fantastic.....I think he gave up and went back to work when it came to tennis dates with the girls on Friday...the short skirts and booze would have been too much (or so he told me).

We are now involved with Scouts!!! Well I avoid it and Andy is on the committee as Handy Andy. They are a nice bunch and like to get you involved.

We are 20 mins - 25 if you count getting in the car and getting out, drive from Mona Vale beach (bloody nice and patrolled). A decent express bus service to the CBD (I use it every day) about 45 mins-1 hr depending on traffic.

St Ives has no pub but plenty of restaurants .... we have joined the bowls club in desparation but actually enjoy the very cheap prices and escape from the kids for a drink once a month.

The Church community here is big - just not my thing. You may or may not find St Ives your cup of tea depending on your social life outside the kids?

Honestly I rate the place but get worried about recommending it cause it may not be for all.

Cheers Sandra
Thanks Sandra,

We really like the sound of the St Ives area. I will be working in Crows Nest and my wife, Emma will not work to start with until our little boy is older.
My main concern is finding enough for Em to do and people to meet up with while I am work. It is easy for me as I will have 20 or so instant contacts, but she will be leavig behind all her friends and will have to make a big effort.

Thanks again for your info.

Cam
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We live in Wahroonga which is just a little south of Hornsby. It is very leafy and green. The public primary school there is supposed to be fairly good (called the Bush School).

Hornsby is a little more built up, but has a good shopping centre (Westfield). Wahroonga seems to have more space around it with some lovely parks for kids, cycling and walking dogs. Obviously we are a little biased.

St. Ives is also nice - again a nice area for bringing up a family. We tend to use the shopping centre there because it is small enough just to pop in for a few minutes, unlike most of the larger centres. There is always lots of kids sporting activities going on there - my daughter plays T ball there on the w/end, which we somehow get involved in.

Hope this is of help .... if you need any more info, I'm happy to help.
best wishes

Trax

Originally Posted by cammym
Thanks Sandra,

We really like the sound of the St Ives area. I will be working in Crows Nest and my wife, Emma will not work to start with until our little boy is older.
My main concern is finding enough for Em to do and people to meet up with while I am work. It is easy for me as I will have 20 or so instant contacts, but she will be leavig behind all her friends and will have to make a big effort.

Thanks again for your info.

Cam