British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone live in Hornsby ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-live-hornsby-343315/)

Craigv Dec 17th 2005 8:45 pm

Anyone live in Hornsby ?

Thinking about Hornsby. Anyone comment?

I have 3 kids under 7 years old, I would be working in Sydney CBD, The train takes about 40 mins which is a bugger but the property is reasonable.

Seems to have good shopping / cinema / a few pubs and you have a few national parks nearby.

Would you say that it is good for families or do you think it is a bit far out?

Perthforme Dec 17th 2005 9:03 pm

Re: Anyone live in Hornsby ?

Originally Posted by Craigv

I have 3 kids under 7 years old, I would be working in Sydney CBD, The train takes about 40 mins which is a bugger but the property is reasonable.

Seems to have good shopping / cinema / a few pubs and you have a few national parks nearby.

I lived down the road at Pymble and found it good for commute , but only had to go to linfield!
Hornsy was good for shops etc and train , not to bad a drive to the beach at the weekend , we love Palm beach , and there are plenty of national parks to go for walks and BBQS etc ,
Got mates who live just north of Hornsy and been there for year and love it too.
As for schools etc dunno someone else will know :D

Craigv Dec 17th 2005 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme
I lived down the road at Pymble and found it good for commute , but only had to go to linfield!
Hornsy was good for shops etc and train , not to bad a drive to the beach at the weekend , we love Palm beach , and there are plenty of national parks to go for walks and BBQS etc ,
Got mates who live just north of Hornsy and been there for year and love it too.
As for schools etc dunno someone else will know :D

Thanks

How far to the nearest beach? Are there many nearby. Pymble looks nice but it was a bit more expensive and did not strike me as having many shops / pubs etc

Perthforme Dec 17th 2005 9:31 pm

Thanks

How far to the nearest beach? Are there many nearby. Pymble looks nice but it was a bit more expensive and did not strike me as having many shops / pubs etc

From memory its about 20-25 min drive to palm beach via some big ole hills but that was in my old kombi so a faster car would shave some time off the trip. Sydney is a big and busy city so expect lots of traffic and lots of driving to get to most places. A fun place though and i love it but can't afford to live there and have opted for the quieter life in WA :) Not many shops in Pymble just a few local ones . Rent for a while in hornsby and see how you go !

wanderingwombat Dec 17th 2005 11:30 pm

From memory its about 20-25 min drive to palm beach via some big ole hills but that was in my old kombi so a faster car would shave some time off the trip.

Whereis has it at 52 minutes, but not on weekends :(

WW

binbird Dec 18th 2005 3:50 am

We find that nothing is very far away in Sydney! :D

Hornsby would definitely have all the amenities you would need. And whilst Palm Beach might take the best part of an hour to reach there are other beaches that you could get to that would probably take in the region of 35-40 mins depending on the traffic.

Happy exploring when you get here!

Binbird

Perthforme Dec 18th 2005 6:42 am

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Whereis has it at 52 minutes, but not on weekends :(

WW

my old kombi must be faster than i remember :p
Just put it in to my sat nav and it says 32.3 km 41 mins .

queenie Dec 18th 2005 6:49 am

Hornsby is a little run down, with lots of flats but not bad. Wahroonga is next to it and lovely. Wahroonga Public school (known as the Bush school) is a State primary with one of the best reputations on the North shore. You have to live in the catchment area to get in. Lots of families and reasonably priced houses - nice villagey centre with French patisseries, good coffee. Hornsby has an excellent shopping centre with cinema - Google for Westfield for list. At least with the train you will always get a seat in the morning rush hour which closer stops in don't have. Beach is bit of a hike for Oz - maybe 40 mins to closest so you would have to make a trip of it, not just go for a quick dip, but with 3 kids under 7, anywhere is a big trip out hey!

Queenie

wanderingwombat Dec 18th 2005 7:50 am

my old kombi must be faster than i remember :p
Just put it in to my sat nav and it says 32.3 km 41 mins .

St Ives to Whale Beach used to be 35mins back in the days when Kombies were the preferred surfer transport.

WW

Jimclevs Dec 18th 2005 7:55 am

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
St Ives to Whale Beach used to be 35mins back in the days when Kombies were the preferred surfer transport.

WW

Yeah............ but there was nothing else on the roads then WW.

Jim

jasonK944 Dec 18th 2005 9:47 am

I think you should ask yourself why Hornsby? Its ok as an area, but nothing stands out as particularly appealing. My sister in law lives there and wante dus to move to that suburb but there is no real appeal to it. If you have to commute to the CBD my suggestion is that you look at the Northern Beaches. Good family areas.

Jimclevs Dec 18th 2005 10:01 am

Originally Posted by jasonK944
I think you should ask yourself why Hornsby? Its ok as an area, but nothing stands out as particularly appealing. My sister in law lives there and wante dus to move to that suburb but there is no real appeal to it. If you have to commute to the CBD my suggestion is that you look at the Northern Beaches. Good family areas.

....... so long as you are close by the express bus routes on Pittwater Road. Don't even think of driving unless you leave home before 7am and come home before 4pm.

Jim

Craigv Dec 18th 2005 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jasonK944

Northern Beaches is fine but the cost of property is high. There are also a lot of flats and for a family house it is probably going to be too high for our budget. I think that you are not going to get everything you want unless you pay big bucks therefore somewhere along the line there has to be compromise..

Craigv Dec 18th 2005 10:18 am

Originally Posted by queenie
Hornsby is a little run down, with lots of flats but not bad. Wahroonga is next to it and lovely. Wahroonga Public school (known as the Bush school) is a State primary with one of the best reputations on the North shore. You have to live in the catchment area to get in. Lots of families and reasonably priced houses - nice villagey centre with French patisseries, good coffee. Hornsby has an excellent shopping centre with cinema - Google for Westfield for list. At least with the train you will always get a seat in the morning rush hour which closer stops in don't have. Beach is bit of a hike for Oz - maybe 40 mins to closest so you would have to make a trip of it, not just go for a quick dip, but with 3 kids under 7, anywhere is a big trip out hey!

Queenie

Thanks

I think the beach is a great day out every now and then therefore the national parks close by make a bit more easy to take. When you say run down. I have heard that they have done quite a lot to freshen things up in the last few years. I plan to visit in January before making final decisions. I just seems to have a bit more to do in it than some of the other suburbs like pymble/gordon /killara..

Neil&Jackie Dec 18th 2005 12:30 pm

I'm going to work for an employer in Hornsby - so have found this very interesting - We will probably live in the Hills as I shall not have the commute which I believe will be cheaper - anyone got any thoughts?? :)