Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone live in Gladstone, Queensland???

anyone live in Gladstone, Queensland???

Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough
Default anyone live in Gladstone, Queensland???

Hi there does anyone live or know anything about Gladstone in Queensland?

My friend has had a job offer there, any info would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: anyone live in Gladstone, Queensland???

We went there for a visit last week and were quite disappointed. I was expecting quite a large town but it's really small. We got really confused looking for the centre but all we found was a town hall, a library, a few shops. We even went in the library to ask where the centre was and they said this is it! The bigger shops have been built in an out of town centre, your usual Big W, Target etc. The port is very busy and we went up to a lookout point on a hill to see if there was anything else to see only to bump into Peter Beattie! He was there to promise an investigation into why the town has 10 times the average rate of leukaemia. People there have an issue with coal dust. I'm sure the people living there are good sorts but the only two we met were a bogan and a young woman drinking beer at a cafe at 9.30 am. Tannum Sands to the south looks a very nice town, right on the beach. But there were warning signs for marine crocodiles.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: anyone live in Gladstone, Queensland???

Thank you Sue, not sure ill tell him all that as it may dampen his spirits!!

He has been offered a job there with really great pay and added extras, he is a civil engineer, my fiance was considering joining that company too. But ill wait and see how his friend gets on first.

Thank you for the reply x