British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone live in Fairlight, Sydney? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-live-fairlight-sydney-338835/)

SuperSeagulls Nov 22nd 2005 7:11 am

Anyone live in Fairlight, Sydney?

If so, I was wondering what it is like? Would it be a good place for a young couple? How much would you expect to pay for a 2 bedroom unit (to rent)? And.......how long does it take to walk to Manly beach? :)

Thanks

SS

HeatherandTim Nov 22nd 2005 8:07 am

Re: Anyone live in Fairlight, Sydney?

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
If so, I was wondering what it is like? Would it be a good place for a young couple? How much would you expect to pay for a 2 bedroom unit (to rent)? And.......how long does it take to walk to Manly beach? :)

Thanks

SS

I think this is a perfect place for a young couple
Expect to pay about $350 -$450 for a two bed unitand it will take you 10-20 mins to walk to the beach.

Goodwin Nov 22nd 2005 8:42 am

Fairlight is a very nice place just up the Sydney Road out of Manly town centre. Depends where in Fairlight you live, its not a big place but it goes back off the main Sydney Road and down towards the coast. I would say it takes about 10 minutes walk from the main road to Manly beach and Wharf.

The best place to check out prices of renting go to www.domain.com.au and put in your budget and how many rooms, etc. We are a young couple and live right in the centre of Manly and pay $365 per week for a 1 bed apartment overlooking the beach and ocean so i would expect to pay less or at least the same for 2 bed, maybe?

When are you coming out here? Keep in touch and maybe we could celebrate your arrival with a beer????

Breezey Nov 22nd 2005 9:28 am

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
I think this is a perfect place for a young couple
Expect to pay about $350 -$450 for a two bed unitand it will take you 10-20 mins to walk to the beach.

fairlight is a great place to live-and a little cheaper than teh rest of the northern beaches-a good starting point-much smarter than the mugs that get sucked into going to perth or adelaide.
The norhtern beaches-Australias best kept secret.

DerekM Nov 22nd 2005 9:49 pm

It is at the top of a hill so walking down is ok! :) :rolleyes:

SuperSeagulls Nov 22nd 2005 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Goodwin
Fairlight is a very nice place just up the Sydney Road out of Manly town centre. Depends where in Fairlight you live, its not a big place but it goes back off the main Sydney Road and down towards the coast. I would say it takes about 10 minutes walk from the main road to Manly beach and Wharf.

The best place to check out prices of renting go to www.domain.com.au and put in your budget and how many rooms, etc. We are a young couple and live right in the centre of Manly and pay $365 per week for a 1 bed apartment overlooking the beach and ocean so i would expect to pay less or at least the same for 2 bed, maybe?

When are you coming out here? Keep in touch and maybe we could celebrate your arrival with a beer????

Thanks for your replies everyone - they are much appreciated.

Goodwin - I arrive in May so am hoping rentals will be slightly lower than normal because the winter will be approaching (and hopefully competition for places will also be easier). It'd defo be a good idea to hear about your experiences in Manly as that is where we (me and my partner, I'm 31, she is 28) are heading. We will be after a 2 bed flat and have begun to think that Manly could be a bit too pricey - thats why we have one eye on Queenscliff, Fairlight and Harbord. We dont want to be too far out as I susect we will be getting the ferry to work.

How have you found settling into Manly? Was it a real bun-fight finding somewhere to live? We visited in June on a validation trip and loved it.

Thanks a lot

SS

gedge Nov 22nd 2005 10:18 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone - they are much appreciated.

Goodwin - I arrive in May so am hoping rentals will be slightly lower than normal because the winter will be approaching (and hopefully competition for places will also be easier). It'd defo be a good idea to hear about your experiences in Manly as that is where we (me and my partner, I'm 31, she is 28) are heading. We will be after a 2 bed flat and have begun to think that Manly could be a bit too pricey - thats why we have one eye on Queenscliff, Fairlight and Harbord. We dont want to be too far out as I susect we will be getting the ferry to work.

How have you found settling into Manly? Was it a real bun-fight finding somewhere to live? We visited in June on a validation trip and loved it.

Thanks a lot

SS

You can have our place in Queenscliff.
We're ditching the hustle bustle of the Manly area for a more chilled out Avalon. Wish us luck this weekend.

SuperSeagulls Nov 23rd 2005 7:03 am

Originally Posted by gedge
You can have our place in Queenscliff.
We're ditching the hustle bustle of the Manly area for a more chilled out Avalon. Wish us luck this weekend.

Good Luck....

By the way, whats wrong with Queenscliff? I thought it was quieter than Manly. And where's Avalon?

And can I ask how much rent you pay in Queenscliff?

SS

gedge Nov 24th 2005 10:59 pm

Good Luck....

By the way, whats wrong with Queenscliff? I thought it was quieter than Manly. And where's Avalon?

And can I ask how much rent you pay in Queenscliff?

SS

Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with Queenscliff. I'm still a fan of the place and am leaving with some regrets.
It's a decent option if you want the hustle and bustle of Manly without being in the thick of it. Here's a piccie from our place for an idea of why I like it.

Avalon is about 30km further north from Manly, one of the last beaches on the peninsular. It's a lot quieter, and a bit cheaper. We've got a 2 bed house with garden for 20% less rent than the 2 bed penthouse in Queensie.
I've pm'd you before with the rental costs in Manly and Q.

SuperSeagulls Nov 25th 2005 6:55 am

Thanks gedge.

SS

DerekM Nov 25th 2005 7:45 am

I dont know Queenscliffe but Avalon is nice, great beach and a pretty village style atmosphere. Facilities are good with DR's and Dentists, shops etc and few cafes and eateries. And of course a couple of good bottle shops! Theres also a cinema and a library so alround for me its a good choice. But then I am prejudiced I guess as my sisiter lives there! :)