Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone left or leaving their dogs in the UK - am feeling very unsure

Anyone left or leaving their dogs in the UK - am feeling very unsure

Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:30 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone left or leaving their dogs in the UK - am feeling very unsure

Hi

I am feeling very emotional today and can not decide what to do with my lovely King Charles Spaniel Cooper. A friend of mine has requested an interest in having him and I am in two minds what to do. We had p[lanned for him to come with us and have checked out the costs and everything we need to do. I am now doubting this decision because he has hated the hot weather over the past week and does not seem to cope with it very well. He also loves attention and company so the thought of him being in quarentine is worrying, I think we would be very unhappy for those 30 days, especially if he was next to a big dog.

I know my friend would take great care of him and I want to do the best thing for him, I am also worried that renting with a dog will be a pain and I guess I just want things to go smoothly.

Is there anyone who has left pets with freinds/family? Do you regret it or do you think it was the right decision for the dog?

Thanks
Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone left or leaving their dogs in the UK - am feeling very unsure

If cost isn't the issue, then bring him. They tend to just snooze their way through the flight itself and whilst in quarantine they're assigned a single handler who they get to know and is responsible for them during their stay - you can even phone them direct. As for the heat, they adapt, they regulate their temperatures well and find a shady spot if they want to.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone left or leaving their dogs in the UK - am feeling very unsure

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

I am feeling very emotional today and can not decide what to do with my lovely King Charles Spaniel Cooper. A friend of mine has requested an interest in having him and I am in two minds what to do. We had p[lanned for him to come with us and have checked out the costs and everything we need to do. I am now doubting this decision because he has hated the hot weather over the past week and does not seem to cope with it very well. He also loves attention and company so the thought of him being in quarentine is worrying, I think we would be very unhappy for those 30 days, especially if he was next to a big dog.

I know my friend would take great care of him and I want to do the best thing for him, I am also worried that renting with a dog will be a pain and I guess I just want things to go smoothly.

Is there anyone who has left pets with freinds/family? Do you regret it or do you think it was the right decision for the dog?

Thanks

I will be leaving my old westie he is 12 this August but we wont be leaving for at least another 2 years. As he has the start of arthritis the vet said it would be kinder to leave him. So he is off to my MIL in Scotland a long with the cat who is the same age (they are inseparable) We are taking our young springer who will be about 4 when we go.
It is upsetting me about leaving Angus behind as i have had him from being very little.
From experience we brought our oldish moggy back from Germany she survived quarantine but was never the same after woods, she became withdrawn and as i was expecting a baby (she hated kids) she got re homed with an elderly lady who doted on her.
I know my pets being left behind will be well cared for and they will have freedom to enjoy themselves(1/4 acre of land to play on).
I know in my heart it will be for the best.
Good luck with your decision
Mandy
Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:52 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy,
Sounds like they will be very well looked after. Our dog is only 18 months so still a pup really. With the hot wetaher he has just stayed inside the house and hasn't enjoyed his walks as much which makes me very concerned about him coping with the heat in Oz. I am also worried about quarantine, he hates being alone and I think he would miss having affection and cuddles for 30 days. Maybe it is my fault that I have spolit him a little bit. I wish I knew what to do, I just want him to be happy.

Good luck with your decison too.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy,
Sounds like they will be very well looked after. Our dog is only 18 months so still a pup really. With the hot wetaher he has just stayed inside the house and hasn't enjoyed his walks as much which makes me very concerned about him coping with the heat in Oz. I am also worried about quarantine, he hates being alone and I think he would miss having affection and cuddles for 30 days. Maybe it is my fault that I have spolit him a little bit. I wish I knew what to do, I just want him to be happy.

Benji my springer is constantly getting cuddles too and hates being on his own. But as Hutch says they will get their own handler and he will get affection from them. Im sure the dog will acclimatise soon after arrival. More so if they arrive in the autumn by summer the changes of temp will be gradual.
Mandy
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Benji my springer is constantly getting cuddles too and hates being on his own. But as Hutch says they will get their own handler and he will get affection from them. Im sure the dog will acclimatise soon after arrival. More so if they arrive in the autumn by summer the changes of temp will be gradual.
Mandy
Go for it. One of my dogs is 14 with cancer, the other is 18 and his back legs are going. If your dog is young, fit and healthy - go for it. Dogs adapt very quickly. I know that I couldn't leave mine.
Nick
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

my two springers are 3 and 1 yr old.

Have to say I didn't really have a second thought about taking them... they were going and i was as well.

The puppy (she's still called that despite being 1 1/2 now!) was a total nutter during the UK summer.... she just used to run and run and run and run and run and ..... well you get the picture, and I was convinced that if she did this in australia she'd pass out from the heat and die!

Was also worried for 2 dogs who're used to sleeping next to the bed (although they always seemed to end up on the bottom of it during winter!) spending a month in a kennel - and they'd never been in kennels before!

but they were packed up and shipped out and have been in australia for almost 6 months now.

they arrived into sydney in the middle of the summer heat and seem to have coped just fine. The puppy still runs all the time - but stops just long enough to cool down and have a drink. when it gets really hot they hide either under the trees at the back of the yard, or under the house! the dogs just love it here.... they were never this happy back in the UK I'm sure!

renting has'nt really been an issue - we knew that we'd have the dogs so only looked at the houses that said pets OK. took us just under 3 weeks to get a rental

the dog's part of the family!! just take him! he'll be fine!!!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:11 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy,

'If the pet is part of the family and all the family are going, then so should your pets.' Thats what my lot are telling me about our pets, as I was undecided about taking them too. As for quarantine its only similar to cattery/kennels, and you can visit and pet them. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:13 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Thanks everyone. It is such a hard decision. He really is part of the family and I worry about him so much. I am also worried my friend will be really disappointed if we take him. The estate agent even asked if we were taking him today and said if not he would love to have him!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:18 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. It is such a hard decision. He really is part of the family and I worry about him so much. I am also worried my friend will be really disappointed if we take him. The estate agent even asked if we were taking him today and said if not he would love to have him!

Take him!!! you know you want to really!!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shiels
Take him!!! you know you want to really!!!!!

Yeah take him.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

yeah totally take him...

if your friend is that arsed they can go out and get a dog of their own!!! tell them to get to the local animal shelter and re-home one!!!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:32 pm
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Anyone left or leaving their dogs in the UK - am feeling very unsure

Originally Posted by Hutch
If cost isn't the issue, then bring him. They tend to just snooze their way through the flight itself and whilst in quarantine they're assigned a single handler who they get to know and is responsible for them during their stay - you can even phone them direct. As for the heat, they adapt, they regulate their temperatures well and find a shady spot if they want to.

Thanks for this Hutch - it really put my mind at rest and it wasn't my question.

For me if my little girl (border collie) couldnt go then it would be a very hard decision - I don't think I could leave her behind.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:46 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

I think he will be coming with us, the thought of leaving him brings tears to my eys. As you have all said I am sure he will cope and he is so adorable I am sure he will have them all over him. As for the heat I guess he can just sit in the shade and hopefully we will sort the rental issue. Thanks loads
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:23 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

You HAVE to take him. I will never speak to you again if you leave him! ;o)

Seriously, we are taking our cocker spaniel, "Sprocket". He'll be a year old when he goes.
Actually I just emailed the quarantine station today at Spotswood in Melbourne to ask if we could visit him more often than the twice a week as stated while he's there. Just waiting to hear back from them.The quarantine looks clean and spacious with a big green area to run in. Apparently the flight is ok for them and most recover as soon as they've bounded off at the other end and jumped up onto anyone they can lick!!! I know it's a lot of cash to take them but I think we just resigned ourselves to it. We wont even think of the cash once it's been paid and there's something else to pay for.
I say definately take your beloved pooch. They show us so much love, give so much enjoyment and you wouldn't leave a child behind,would you?
Go on - just take him!!

Woof!!

*pearly*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.