Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone leaving UK in May?

Anyone leaving UK in May?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone leaving UK in May?

Is anyone leaving the UK in May? We are and I just wanted to see how others are feeling.

I finished work today (admin job that I've been at for 7yrs - and closing massage business at the end of this week). I drove away feeling elated, like a 100 weights had been cut from me, and I'm starting to realise that with every little thing I cancel, every piece of junk mail I send back as 'no longer at address', every thing I end of selling on ebay or give to chariy (to lighten the load), I feel that little bit more free, which is both exciting and also a bit scary, like being exposed. When we get to Oz we will have no job (not scared at all, can't wait!!!), we're initially staying with family and will have a nice bit of money in the bank and I believe we will feel free. This is such a foreign concept, feeling free, when you've been geared your whole life to work work work and be stuck in the same place etc. I guess the freedom feeling is counter-balanced by the sadness of leaving people but it still so exhilarating!

So I would love to hear what everyone has done in preparation for their move in May and what they still have left to do. I'm sure I've left lots off my list below! Its certainly not difinitive!
  • I have organised cancellation of broadband to day (30days notice), 14days for BT line so will do in April.
  • Paying off car finance this week then selling car
  • Shipping is booked, just need to fill in forms
  • Started clearing out the flat of bits we don't want to take
  • Sorting out nick-naks to make sure they come with, already have a hand luggage shelf for important mementos!
  • Changing contract phones to Pay&Go
  • Final accounts for work will be done April 5.
Hoping for May to be cleaning everything (oh joy!) and making sure all bills etc paid, sorted, bank accounts closed etc. And of course catching up with people for all those goodbyes!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone leaving UK in May?

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
Is anyone leaving the UK in May? We are and I just wanted to see how others are feeling.

I finished work today (admin job that I've been at for 7yrs - and closing massage business at the end of this week). I drove away feeling elated, like a 100 weights had been cut from me, and I'm starting to realise that with every little thing I cancel, every piece of junk mail I send back as 'no longer at address', every thing I end of selling on ebay or give to chariy (to lighten the load), I feel that little bit more free, which is both exciting and also a bit scary, like being exposed. When we get to Oz we will have no job (not scared at all, can't wait!!!), we're initially staying with family and will have a nice bit of money in the bank and I believe we will feel free. This is such a foreign concept, feeling free, when you've been geared your whole life to work work work and be stuck in the same place etc. I guess the freedom feeling is counter-balanced by the sadness of leaving people but it still so exhilarating!

So I would love to hear what everyone has done in preparation for their move in May and what they still have left to do. I'm sure I've left lots off my list below! Its certainly not difinitive!
  • I have organised cancellation of broadband to day (30days notice), 14days for BT line so will do in April.
  • Sorting out nick-naks to make sure they come with, already have a hand luggage shelf for important mementos!
Hoping for May to be cleaning everything (oh joy!) and making sure all bills etc paid, sorted, bank accounts closed etc. And of course catching up with people for all those goodbyes!
Well you sound positive and very organised. Although we are not sure yet when we will be going (We have to wait for the house to sell). The only thing that we have done so far is get a quote from a shipping company and clear out a few wardrobes of unwanted clothes. We have done a lot of talking about what we would like to do, but our life feels as though it is on hold at the moment. I think that when things do start moving, I will be in a right panic trying to organise everything, but I feel that will just add to the fun and excitement of it all.
We also do not have jobs to go to, we are not taking much money, but we do know a few people and we are determined to make it work. I know that it will be very hard and I am sure that we will be faced with many dilemmas, but we will deal with one at a time.
Good luck with all of your preparations and all the very best for the future.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:20 pm
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

we are going to brisbaine on may 17th,
-house on market, but not sold
-shipping company booked and insurance forms all filled out and comformation back.
-dogs license being applied for
-house getting there on the de-cluttering
-phone just turned over to pay as you go
-found people to rent house while we wait for sale
-austrailian bank acc set up
-money starting to be transfered
-leaving party booked
-flights and acc booked for first week

Looks like a start but there is sooooooooo much to do. Plus we are off to disnay land for a long weekend, malta for a week, wedding, hen night the list goes on and now are time is running out fast. I wish I just sold up and went without all the good bye we have to say.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008

Hiya, we are going the beg of June so not too far behind here. Sometimes I feel excited & at other times feel panicky! Giving up work in 4 weeks time & have never not worked! So will be weird but looking forward to being one of those Yummy Mummies that do Lunch!lol
Hadnt even thought of doing half those things on your list yet! yikes but leaving party is booked, also weekend away with the girls to Spain so getting my priorities right first. Sorted out the dog today though and still trying to sort out the finances. Seems like an endless list to do list at the moment. There is a list on the useful information at the beg of the forum to check if anything else. Feels like we joined a mad rollercoaster ride at times. All the best.
Michelle
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
we are going to brisbaine on may 17th,
-house on market, but not sold
-shipping company booked and insurance forms all filled out and comformation back.
-dogs license being applied for
-house getting there on the de-cluttering
-phone just turned over to pay as you go
-found people to rent house while we wait for sale
-austrailian bank acc set up
-money starting to be transfered
-leaving party booked
-flights and acc booked for first week

Looks like a start but there is sooooooooo much to do. Plus we are off to disnay land for a long weekend, malta for a week, wedding, hen night the list goes on and now are time is running out fast. I wish I just sold up and went without all the good bye we have to say.
Where abouts are you heading to in Brisbane? We fly out there on 27th.

I too am off to France for a week next week then as you say loads of meeting up and weekends away to fit in! The only thing really annoying me is the money transfer - got an account, just waiting for a good rate!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG You all make me feel so disorganised. We leave our house May 9 to overnight in London with family before the flight on the 10th to Sydney. We have pretty much sold the house - just waiting for the legal stuff to go through, but thats about it!!
We have accomodation sorted for when we arrive because thats been done by the company i am going to work for. Havent thought about anything else yet. I blame BE for keeping me sat in front of the computer instead of getting organised.
Oh - the OH has put her notice in yesterday at work
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:40 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG now I am panicing

We leave around May 9th to Perth (second choice to cairns, but OH job dictates )

we have sold the house just waiting for legals to go through once I am satisfied that things arent going to go belly up I will book one way flights.

We do have to be there by May 16th though so hoping we dont have to book returns.

I havent even rang removals yet although we arent taking a lot so can live without stuff.

We have a rental sorted though a 4 x 2 through someone I meant on another forum.

Have to say I am so nervous worrying about the house sale going through that maybe i am a bit behind.

We have been sorting out now for some time so the bulk of the stuff is gone.

Good luck everyone
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
OMG now I am panicing

We leave around May 9th to Perth (second choice to cairns, but OH job dictates )

we have sold the house just waiting for legals to go through once I am satisfied that things arent going to go belly up I will book one way flights.

We do have to be there by May 16th though so hoping we dont have to book returns.

I havent even rang removals yet although we arent taking a lot so can live without stuff.

We have a rental sorted though a 4 x 2 through someone I meant on another forum.

Have to say I am so nervous worrying about the house sale going through that maybe i am a bit behind.

Good luck everyone
Hi Kaye
Pretty much the same situation as us
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:48 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi Kaye
Pretty much the same situation as us
Glad i'm not alone then we must be the norm
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Glad i'm not alone then we must be the norm
Nearly choked then
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:28 am
aka DORIS

Originally Posted by Bix
Nearly choked then
Cheeky bugger
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

trice_ie will become famous soon enoughtrice_ie will become famous soon enough

hey
we're leaving ireland 26th april finish work tomorrow and like a lot of others never been unemployed, totally freaked out when i got my last salary and p45.Anyway we got some really good advice of l the things to do list on the stickies at the front of this forum. Moving in with our parents for 2 weeks before we go so we're close to living out of suitcases. This is an idea of what we've done (i'm trying to be superorganised)
Booked holiday rental and rent a car for when we arrive
Shippers are organised
Money transfered (jumped on the good euro-aud conversion rate earlier this week scary though as all our savings are currently mid air!)
organised originals of our birth certs/no claims bonuses/glasses perscriptions etc
Started to throw out all the crap we've been hoarding for last however long
Organised our going away party (most important!)

I'm sure we've done other stuff the whole list thing really worked for me as i'm a total phaffer and would forget everything otherwise
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't want to panic everyone! he he! We'll all get there and itll be great. So long as we have passports, money and tickets thats really all that matters!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

OMG now I am panicing

Good luck everyone
Hi we are going to Perth just not to sure about the date yet

Its great that you have a rental where abouts are you going?
everything will work out with your house sale
we have started to sort out all our bits and bobs but I think someone comes in behind me with some more never knew we had so much (crap)
but good luck to everyone
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Were flying out to Perth on 2nd May, we have pretty much everything under control, I leave work tomorrow so have a month home to finish up those odds and ends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.