Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone leaving Perth due to the economy?

Anyone leaving Perth due to the economy?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:23 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone leaving Perth due to the economy?

I was working with a guy on a day trip to Karratha yesterday who has lost his job due to the collapse of the mining boom. He has a few fingers in pies but was considering moving his family to the Middle East or Brisbane to find work.

I was just wondering whether there was much of that about. Are you or do you know of someone else in this boat?

Obviously it doesn't bode well for Perth if the population starts shrinking. But if it reduces the competion for jobs it could be a mercy. We also failed to get our daughter into our preferred high school (private) as we registered too late. But she is 10th on the reserve list with a year to go and could rise up that if people move from Perth or decide they cannot afford school fees. (Assuming I still have a job and can afford to pay them myself!)
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone leaving Perth due to the economy?

I reckon there's plenty on 457 visas who will be leaving soon, through no choice of their own, including a number of people I know. Very sad.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

No point in moving to QLD as i am in the mining sector and i have friends who are geologist like myself who have left to go back to the uk and another who is looking for bar work - no jobs there at present
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon there's plenty on 457 visas who will be leaving soon, through no choice of their own, including a number of people I know. Very sad.
It is sad. However the 457 is a temporary visa and those who come on one (me included) know the risks. People on 457 visas should apply for their PR as soon as they are able if they want to stay here long term. If they don't they always have that cloud over their heads.