Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what kind of spider this is?!

Anyone know what kind of spider this is?!

Old May 20th 2010, 10:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know what kind of spider this is?!

My mate just took this photo and she lives in NORTHERN IRELAND!!! OMG!!!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what kind of spider this is?!-spider.bmp  
Old May 20th 2010, 10:50 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know what kind of spider this is?!

Originally Posted by mohogony
l don't know why people are so affraid of spiders in OZ considering they havent killed a single person in 30 years, even the honey bee kills 2 people a year in OZ.
It's not in Oz and I'm not afraid of it, my question was, do u know what it is, SIMPLES!
Old May 20th 2010, 10:51 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
It's not in Oz and I'm not afraid of it, my question was, do u know what it is, SIMPLES!
Sorry l did'nt read you post properly l though it was an Aussie spider not an Irish spider
Old May 20th 2010, 10:57 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by mohogony
Sorry l did'nt read you post properly l though it was an Aussie spider not an Irish spider
And do you know what, I am by no means ashamed to admit that I am frightened of spiders, not because some of them can kill me, but just because I am, and my fear has been with me since I was a child. Everybody has fears, and I have more than one, it doesn't make me a bad person, it just makes me human.

*End of rant*
Old May 21st 2010, 12:15 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

She just found a second one:
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what kind of spider this is?!-spider-2.jpg  
Old May 21st 2010, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/4218436.stm

Just saw this article - thems the ones!!! URGH

My 5 year old was about to put her water bottle in her school bag the other day and found a huntsman sitting right where she was about to open the side pocket - OMG she freaked, I had a look and got hubby to take it outside. She now knows it's a goody but the size put her off!! More than happy to walk around with a dead dragonfly she found though.....
Old May 21st 2010, 1:01 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Thanks itigo, though that article is 5 years old, I wonder if it's the same spider?! Not seen a huntsman yet but I guess it's only a matter of time eh lol

Originally Posted by itigo
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/4218436.stm

Just saw this article - thems the ones!!! URGH

My 5 year old was about to put her water bottle in her school bag the other day and found a huntsman sitting right where she was about to open the side pocket - OMG she freaked, I had a look and got hubby to take it outside. She now knows it's a goody but the size put her off!! More than happy to walk around with a dead dragonfly she found though.....
Old May 21st 2010, 3:29 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

And do you know what, I am by no means ashamed to admit that I am frightened of spiders, not because some of them can kill me, but just because I am, and my fear has been with me since I was a child. Everybody has fears, and I have more than one, it doesn't make me a bad person, it just makes me human.

*End of rant*
l never said theres anything wrong with being affraid of spiders most people are, l just meant they arent as dangerous as most people think.

Last edited by mohogony; May 21st 2010 at 3:33 am.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:56 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

My mate just took this photo and she lives in NORTHERN IRELAND!!! OMG!!!
Hmm, I think the technical term for it is a "Big F*** Off" spider!!!
Old May 21st 2010, 4:59 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Hmm, I think the technical term for it is a "Big F*** Off" spider!!!
lol certainly is, especially for Norn Irn lol
Old May 21st 2010, 5:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a Wolf spider. Nothing unusual at all. Perhaps in the Arctic wastes of Northern Ireland they may be a rarity.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Wolf spider seems likely. But maybe it's a migrant huntsman (*kidding*)...I read online that there's now redbacks in New Zealand and Japan thanks to shipping...

Last edited by Japonica; May 21st 2010 at 6:22 am.