Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what this is?

Anyone know what this is?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:34 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question Anyone know what this is?

I keep finding them under the lids and pouring parts of the containers you'd keep cereal/pasta/rice etc in. They're like little grubs of some description in a cocoon under a little bit of webby kind of stuff?! I get rid of them straight away but they seem to reappear...

YUCK!!!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is?-beastie.jpg  
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:38 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone know what this is?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I keep finding them under the lids and pouring parts of the containers you'd keep cereal/pasta/rice etc in. They're like little grubs of some description in a cocoon under a little bit of webby kind of stuff?! I get rid of them straight away but they seem to reappear...

YUCK!!!
Hard to tell from the photo but probably weevils. Bin the food.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:40 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

That is a flour moth larvae, or otherwise know as a pantry moth. Get rid of them quick as they will eat through cardboard packaging and get into any type of plastic container, even Tupperware. The moths will usually be under the shelf or in a product somewhere.

We were infested last year and threw away about $200 worth of food, they get into everything.

We had never heard of them before last year and thought we saw a maggot crawling out of the cupboard, upon investigation, there were dozens of moths and larvae, everywhere!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:58 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
That is a flour moth larvae, or otherwise know as a pantry moth. Get rid of them quick as they will eat through cardboard packaging and get into any type of plastic container, even Tupperware. The moths will usually be under the shelf or in a product somewhere.

We were infested last year and threw away about $200 worth of food, they get into everything.

We had never heard of them before last year and thought we saw a maggot crawling out of the cupboard, upon investigation, there were dozens of moths and larvae, everywhere!!!
Yuck, can they be 'treated'!? I have removed them from the outside of the containers, but will do a further inspection of the pantry when I'm off for the Winter hols...
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Yuck, can they be 'treated'!? I have removed them from the outside of the containers, but will do a further inspection of the pantry when I'm off for the Winter hols...
Try and get them before they get too bad!!! If you see moths flying around at all, you can by a pantry moth killer thingy from the supermarket. It's a kind of cardboard thing you turn into a kind of triangle. It had some sticky pheromone which attracts them and then they stick to it.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:16 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Rudi
Try and get them before they get too bad!!! If you see moths flying around at all, you can by a pantry moth killer thingy from the supermarket. It's a kind of cardboard thing you turn into a kind of triangle. It had some sticky pheromone which attracts them and then they stick to it.

Love

Rudi
x
Thanks Rudi, will look out for that moth killer thingy, you're a star xo
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rudi, will look out for that moth killer thingy, you're a star xo

it looks a bit like this! It's called "The Pantry Moth Trap"

Love

Rudi
x
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is?-pheronettrap.jpg  
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Rudi
it looks a bit like this! It's called "The Pantry Moth Trap"

Love

Rudi
x
Brilliant, ta
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:06 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I believe one of the ways they arrive is in/on packets of food bought from shops ie flour, sugar - always check in the creases of the folded over bit on the packet for signs of creatures. Also I once found a tiny green worm/caterpiller thingy in some nuts that I had bought in the 'pick n mix' section and I was halfway through the nuts when I found it! yuk!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Bird seed is almost guaranteed to be infected. NEVER take it inside the house.

You see sort of webby silky bits in infected things before the bugs.

Good luck
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:41 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Say, does anything happen when you put a powerful magnet to them ? I do that sometimes. Put powerful magnets to things.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

YUCK!!!
That's Quorn that is.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
That's Quorn that is.
Had same issue myself. Its in the food when packaged as its impossible to be seen. I now put new dry goods in the freezer overnight to kill any eggs that could be in the packaging, so far so good.

Jo
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icarus
Say, does anything happen when you put a powerful magnet to them ? I do that sometimes. Put powerful magnets to things.

Originally Posted by spartacus
That's Quorn that is.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Hard to tell from the photo but probably weevils. Bin the food.
I'm with you BIN all the dried food that looks even a little bit suspect, I couldn't bear the thought of eating any weevils/maggots!!

Scrub out the cupboard with bleach, put everything dried you buy from now on straight into plastic containers and sprinkle some bay leaves and/or cloves around the cupboard to stop re-infestation.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.