Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know much about Lane Cove?

Anyone know much about Lane Cove?

Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone know much about Lane Cove?

Hi there
We are off to Sydney in September and are currently researching where to live. We were initially thinking of Mosman/Cremorne/Neutral Bay areas but feel they may be a bit pricey (and we'd prefer a house) so we're know looking at Lane Cove. Especially important is childcare for our daughter who will be 15 months old by then
Any comments on what its like/suitability for a young family would be much appreciated

Many thanks
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know much about Lane Cove?

Originally Posted by Parker
Hi there
We are off to Sydney in September and are currently researching where to live. We were initially thinking of Mosman/Cremorne/Neutral Bay areas but feel they may be a bit pricey (and we'd prefer a house) so we're know looking at Lane Cove. Especially important is childcare for our daughter who will be 15 months old by then
Any comments on what its like/suitability for a young family would be much appreciated

Many thanks
Lane Cove is a good suburb, not too busy but in a convenient spot and ideal for families.

Do a search for a poster called 'mummy' - she moved to Lane Cove with a small baby last year.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

We stayed there two years ago with friends and seemed like a lovely suburb, had meal and watched band in shopping precinct in evening, plenty of families around and children dancing, our friends have moved on due to work but still rates the suburb.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info most people seem to think its a nice place for young families
Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:02 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info most people seem to think its a nice place for young families
Melrose Park, Rhodes are near to Lane Cove, I actually live in the area and is pretty quite, nice parks, etc.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:04 pm
Merlot

Has lovely National Park around it, close to all amenities & city. I used to live North Ryde/Macquarie Park and loved it around there.

Good luck
M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like it would be ideal. Now i just have to find childcare - i hear the waiting lists are horrendous so will be phoning them all next week. Late nights for me then
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

We have Aussie mates who are moving there - and they're about to have a family. They picked it because it is family friendly, good value for money - and from a location point of view, good for the City/North Sydney. The only downside is the lack of a railway station. If you're looking to rent or buy, there is plenty of choice.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

I don't suppose anyone has knowledge of childcare there. Am looking into it now but there are a lot so will have to call them. Time difference a pain though
Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Many thanks
The important thing to note in Lane Cove is the location of the tunnel stacks for the new road tunnel going through. This will affect house prices so best forwarned even if the pollution affects are unknown.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 9:18 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by bondipom
The important thing to note in Lane Cove is the location of the tunnel stacks for the new road tunnel going through. This will affect house prices so best forwarned even if the pollution affects are unknown.
WOW, BP has this been agreed and started?????

All I can remember for the 7 years in NSW is those posters asking for a tunnel to run through!

M

Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Hi Parker, we meet again.

Lane Cove is very nice. It has a lovley villagey centre. Half of it is pedestrianised with lovely trees and picnic tables. There is a band stand too that often has things on in it. Another good thing is that the McDonalds has closed down, and they are currently building another big supermarket too.

There is an olympic pool with gym that is very good and has kids' lessons - I think they teach 4 stroke there though. There is also a good hot yoga centre and the Yum Cha restaurant has an excellent reputation.

There is no train line but everyone gets the express bus into town and as you have direct access to the freeway the trip is usually 15 minutes. From what I remember there are lots of stops in the City too so you end up pretty close to where you need to go.

The houses in Lane Cove tend to be "Californian Bungalows". Most are built in the 1930s and are small by Aussie standards, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and maybe on 800m2 (at a guess) so limited room to extend. Some of the ones that have been done up are lovely though.

As to childcare, you will probably find waiting lists at all the centres. You have to pay $10 or $20 to put your child's name down on the list, which is a bummer if you are overseas and have no $A cheque book. When we moved to Sydney last year I did find one centre that had vacancies and sent my son there - I soon found out why they had vacancies too.

Queenie

Hi there

Many thanks
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:49 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
WOW, BP has this been agreed and started?????

All I can remember for the 7 years in NSW is those posters asking for a tunnel to run through!

M
Yep it has started. They are also building the Chatswood to Epping railway line. The toll will probably be horrendous and all it will do is pile up a bigger jam onto the harbour bridge and tunnel.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by queenie
Hi Parker, we meet again.

Lane Cove is very nice. It has a lovley villagey centre. Half of it is pedestrianised with lovely trees and picnic tables. There is a band stand too that often has things on in it. Another good thing is that the McDonalds has closed down, and they are currently building another big supermarket too.

There is an olympic pool with gym that is very good and has kids' lessons - I think they teach 4 stroke there though. There is also a good hot yoga centre and the Yum Cha restaurant has an excellent reputation.

There is no train line but everyone gets the express bus into town and as you have direct access to the freeway the trip is usually 15 minutes. From what I remember there are lots of stops in the City too so you end up pretty close to where you need to go.

The houses in Lane Cove tend to be "Californian Bungalows". Most are built in the 1930s and are small by Aussie standards, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and maybe on 800m2 (at a guess) so limited room to extend. Some of the ones that have been done up are lovely though.

As to childcare, you will probably find waiting lists at all the centres. You have to pay $10 or $20 to put your child's name down on the list, which is a bummer if you are overseas and have no $A cheque book. When we moved to Sydney last year I did find one centre that had vacancies and sent my son there - I soon found out why they had vacancies too.

Queenie

Hi Queenie

Have you decided about HK?

Thanks for this information, its very helpful.

It sounds as if you've had the same experience as us with child care waiting lists. Are there any particular child care centres that you think are worth looking at? And any to avoid?

Many thanks
Parker
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:39 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by bondipom
Yep it has started. They are also building the Chatswood to Epping railway line. The toll will probably be horrendous and all it will do is pile up a bigger jam onto the harbour bridge and tunnel.
Blimey, I reckon Sydney will collapse one day with all these tunnels and under passes.

I used to live at Macquarie Park/North Ryde and all the locals were dreading a railway station as they believed it would contribute to more "waifs and strays" from the undesirable areas desending and robbing our houses during office house.

I do hope it eases congestion in the N Ryde area as it was murder at peak hour.

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.