Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know Melbourne AND Perth well?

Anyone know Melbourne AND Perth well?

Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:14 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone know Melbourne AND Perth well?

Hi, I'm new to the group. I currently live in Beaumaris, Melbourne (Sept 2003). Love it here, fantastic friendly school, feel part of the whole community, latest neighbourhood watch flyer says we have had 6 incidents of crime this year (that would be a day where we lived in the UK!).

The only huge downside is the cost of housing. You can't find a property for less than $500K and that would be a run-down shack with 2 beds! My husband has been looking at a job offer in Perth, I have heard Ocean Reef is supposed to be nice. Does anyone know how it compares? Cost of houses in nice areas? crime? how migrants are accepted into the community?

Another biggie is we have been amazed (but wondering if this is just "snob value" here) People seem to think you are going to bring up hooligans if you don't send your children to Private High School. Well, that just isn't an option to us. Is it the same mind-set in Perth?

I don't want to move the children again to Perth if we are going to come against the same issues, cost of houses, private schooling.

Any advise?
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone know Melbourne AND Perth well?

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi, I'm new to the group. I currently live in Beaumaris, Melbourne (Sept 2003). Love it here, fantastic friendly school, feel part of the whole community, latest neighbourhood watch flyer says we have had 6 incidents of crime this year (that would be a day where we lived in the UK!).

The only huge downside is the cost of housing. You can't find a property for less than $500K and that would be a run-down shack with 2 beds! My husband has been looking at a job offer in Perth, I have heard Ocean Reef is supposed to be nice. Does anyone know how it compares? Cost of houses in nice areas? crime? how migrants are accepted into the community?

Another biggie is we have been amazed (but wondering if this is just "snob value" here) People seem to think you are going to bring up hooligans if you don't send your children to Private High School. Well, that just isn't an option to us. Is it the same mind-set in Perth?

I don't want to move the children again to Perth if we are going to come against the same issues, cost of houses, private schooling.

Any advise?
Hi ljj

Do you specifically want to live in the same area as you are currently in? Have you considered moving to a different area?

I live in the outer eastern suburbs and you can get a great house for $350K over here. There is a train line straight to Flinders Street if your hubby works in the CBD. It takes about 50 minutes.

There are plenty of good schools here as well which are not private either. Haven't felt any pressure at all to send my daughter to private school. She has many options open to her when she leaves primary school.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Regards
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:07 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

If we are to stay in Melbourne we don't really want to move from here as we are all so happy here. Apart from looking like we could never afford to buy a place and will be renting for life.

We need to get out and about to different areas. I think we got scared off a bit by people warning us not to go further away from the city than Mordialloc but the longer we have lived here we are thinking it could be a snob value thing. We are certainly not snobs so we would look around. we quite like Mount Eliza but it's a big commute to the city for Hubbie. Done that in the UK, enjoying having him home to eat an evening meal with the children. They know what he looks like now!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Ocean Reef is nice. A lot of Poms. You could see that as a plus or a minus. You'll get a pretty decent house here for $500,000.

You'll see a big improvement in the weather. Jobs might be a challenge, what do you/your partner do?

Last edited by renth; Jun 16th 2005 at 1:44 am.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:15 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Easy for me, homemaker looking after two kids, studying via correspondance so that's no problem. I will eventually get a part-time pos. in Admin etc.

Husband in IT. Seems to think there is more work here in Melb..... but surely there are less people going for the same job in Perth He has got every job he has applied for here in Melbourne, unfortunatley there doesn't seem to be many perm positions. He is contracting so wouldn't be an problem leaving job here and moving to Perth.

Let me know your thoughts

louise