Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about Alexandra Hills, Brisbane

Anyone know anything about Alexandra Hills, Brisbane

Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:24 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Anyone know anything about Alexandra Hills, Brisbane

Hi folks

We were just wandering if any of you out there already have any info you can share with us on Alexandra Hills suburb, Brisbane.

We have found a nice house that we like and now that Rich has the job at Greenslopes we have started to check out suburbs to live.

Have looked at ourbrisbane .com but nothing there. Any info appreciated.

Thanks guys & gals

Ang
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:54 pm
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone know anything about Alexandra Hills, Brisbane

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Hi folks

We were just wandering if any of you out there already have any info you can share with us on Alexandra Hills suburb, Brisbane.

We have found a nice house that we like and now that Rich has the job at Greenslopes we have started to check out suburbs to live.

Thanks guys & gals

Ang
Hi Ang,
Try these sites
www.redlandstourism.com/info
http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneB...rits/index.php
Both are good sites, hope you find them useful
Jo
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:25 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J+J
Hi Ang,
Try these sites
www.redlandstourism.com/info
http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneB...rits/index.php
Both are good sites, hope you find them useful
Jo

Thanks Jo

But can't get onto the first one saying Not Found.
The second one great forum but Alexandra Hills is not stated.
Any others for me

Cheers Ang
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:34 pm
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

Thanks Jo

But can't get onto the first one saying Not Found.
The second one great forum but Alexandra Hills is not stated.
Any others for me

Cheers Ang
Hi Ang
Sorry!!! Try
www.redlandstourism.com

Unfortunately I haven't found any others but if I do I'll let you know.
Good luck searching
If that link doesn't work let me know
Jo
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of talk about Alex Hills on BBB, but probably in the posts, not individual threads though & the search feature doesnt work. I thought that I had done a few posts here on expats about Alex Hills, cant seem to find any though?

In general, Alex Hills (& Capalaba) is the cheap part of the Bayside area, a bit run down & with hoon/yob mentality (aussie style). Theres a patch in the middle somewhere thats very much better, with small acreage & large houses, but in general the area doesnt have a huge amount going for it. Be wary, part of the acreage area in Alex Hills is close to large powerlines & part is close to the dump.

There are much better places in the Bayside area to live. Having said that, there are alot worse places in Brisbane to live as well.

But, my disclaimer, once again, is that it depends where you come from & what you compare it to!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:27 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

ourbrsibane.com is a website run by Brisbane City Council and Alex hills is just outside BCC in Redlandshire. The redland council site is here but I do not know if there is anything that describes suburbs. It does depend on what you are comparing it to - I would rather live in Alex hills than many places in the UK and as MrsD said, it is a lot nicer than many suburbs in and around Brisbane. It really does depend what you are looking for in a suburb (and, of course, how much you can comfortably afford).

Cheers

DagBoy
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:27 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Plenty of talk about Alex Hills on BBB, but probably in the posts, not individual threads though & the search feature doesnt work. I thought that I had done a few posts here on expats about Alex Hills, cant seem to find any though?

In general, Alex Hills (& Capalaba) is the cheap part of the Bayside area, a bit run down & with hoon/yob mentality (aussie style). Theres a patch in the middle somewhere thats very much better, with small acreage & large houses, but in general the area doesnt have a huge amount going for it. Be wary, part of the acreage area in Alex Hills is close to large powerlines & part is close to the dump.

There are much better places in the Bayside area to live. Having said that, there are alot worse places in Brisbane to live as well.

But, my disclaimer, once again, is that it depends where you come from & what you compare it to!
Thanks Mrs Dagboy. We were wandering why property as cheaper than that of Cleveland and suchlike.
We also like Wellington Point and Ormiston.
Are th4ese any better???

Thanks
Ang
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks Mrs Dagboy. We were wandering why property as cheaper than that of Cleveland and suchlike.
Are th4ese any better???

Thanks
Ang
Cleveland, Wellingtonpoint etc are on the waters edge. Alex Hills and Capalaba are inland, although only between 5-10 minutes by car

Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Are th4ese any better???

Thanks
Ang
Yes, WP, Ormiston & Cleveland are all nicer than Alex Hills, &, as ABC said, they are actually on the water. I would choose them over Alex Hills if it were my choice.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we live in WP but very close to the border of Alex Hills. It depends what you want. We would rather live in a shed in a nicer area than live in a mansion in a not so nice area. It depends on your outlook. Our children go to the state school at present in WP but we probably wouldn't send them to state school in Capalaba etc. This is personal choice. You can get more info on Bayside Brits. Karen
Old Feb 21st 2005, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Are th4ese any better???

Thanks
Ang

Yes, Wellington Point, Cleveland, and *ahem* Ormiston, are coastal, nice breezes and views and restaurants. Also they are right on the train line, so dead easy commute (45 minutes to CBD or 35 if you get an express).

They are all nice areas, I don't know your personal preferences, but it is very quiet, so if your looking for city life, this isn't it! If you are looking for peace, quiet, reasonable land sizes at reasonable prices, and within easy commute of the city, then this area would definitely suit you.

I'm not biased or anything!

Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:23 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh shame.
Hubby is in the bath so I was doing my usual search on www.realestate.com.au (just to keep the dream alive this end whilst we try to sell the house) and I too started to see my dream houses that we could afford in Alex Hills and even found a band 11 school that taught German (dont ask ) started to get quite excited, so thought I would come back on this trusted site to find out more.
Did a search on the other areas and I guess you pay for the better area, we would only be able to afford a Town House in those areas so I guess my dream of large garden and private pool is out of the window again.......

Oh well, back to my house hunting.

Sharon
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Sharon, if you have a specific budget, I'd chose Alex Hills over alot of other suburbs in the same price bracket.

It soooooo much depends on what you compare it to (ie where you come from). Some people would think Alex Hills is paradise compared to where they are leaving.

I know house hunting can be :scared: at the best of times, & especially when you are on the other side of the world .
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:56 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Sharon, if you have a specific budget, I'd chose Alex Hills over alot of other suburbs in the same price bracket.

It soooooo much depends on what you compare it to (ie where you come from). Some people would think Alex Hills is paradise compared to where they are leaving.

I know house hunting can be :scared: at the best of times, & especially when you are on the other side of the world .
Coming from West London, 5 mins away from Heathrow, dont think it is going to be very hard to impress us... But the "yob culture" quote scares me :scared: That is something I really want to get away from.
But I have taken note of what you said and will still take a look when we finally get over there.....

Cheers,
Sharon