Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know any thing about Aussie rules??

Wikiposts

Anyone know any thing about Aussie rules??

Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:43 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know any thing about Aussie rules??

Dont worry OzTennis

Offside seems to be a thing of the past already......especially if you play for Man Utd and your name is Ruud (I stand offside but never get flagged) van Nistelroy.

TT

Originally posted by OzTennis
Yep, they probably will escape relegation with Joe Kinnear in charge now - they had a good comeback last weekend for a draw from 2-0 down.

It's just what you are used to I guess - promotion and relegation means nothing in footy. I guess you could say it must be boring for a test team playing the same teams at cricket. In AFL they have a final 8 which realistically gives a dozen or so teams hope until near the end of the season and the others may be trying to avoid the dreaded 'wooden spoon'. Even though there is no relegation it is still to be avoided.

Something I've never understand from my footy background is the offside law - why shouldn't you be able to stand where you want on a soccer pitch?

Good luck to Forest, I don't want to see them go the way of some of the once great clubs. Trevor Francis was on Sky last night with a program on him (with his 50th birthday coming up).

OzTennis
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TrickyTree
Dont worry OzTennis

Offside seems to be a thing of the past already......especially if you play for Man Utd and your name is Ruud (I stand offside but never get flagged) van Nistelroy.

TT
Not to mention Alec 'Ruud was never offside, Keano never touched him' Ferguson. The Leicester vs Bolton match was farcical with Bolton devising a strategy to exploit the new interpretation (and even Sam Allardyce saying it was wrong but legal). Gordon Strachan was right - it is within the letter of the law but it's like tax avoidance. Do away with offside and one of the most contentious issues in football (ie soccer) disappears.

OzTennis
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

elbow is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to a couple of games in Melbourne a few years back and had a blast. It was pretty funny seeing all the young un's run on at the interval and kick their footys aroung like champs!

I am in the process of trying to decide who to support when i get back to Melbourne. At the moment i'm going for St. Kilda but that may change..................
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:49 am
WBB

Not to mention Alec 'Ruud was never offside, Keano never touched him' Ferguson. The Leicester vs Bolton match was farcical with Bolton devising a strategy to exploit the new interpretation (and even Sam Allardyce saying it was wrong but legal). Gordon Strachan was right - it is within the letter of the law but it's like tax avoidance. Do away with offside and one of the most contentious issues in football (ie soccer) disappears.

OzTennis
we gotta keep the offside rule, it is the only weapon we have against women (who just watch footie to look at the players legs)

Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it will be good at the City Ground next season seeing Forest play Bristol Rovers, Brentford et al Sorry, couldn't resist that - at least my Bulldogs couldn't get relegated from the AFL last year when finishing 16th.

OzTennis

According to the news this week and the Forest website.They may be playing away from the City ground as they are in duispute with the council.There is talk of them playing home games at the Walker stadium in leicester or

:scared: At PRIDE PARK :scared:
Home of the Sheep Sh***ers

Unless it's already been resolved.

Oh the shame

G
Old Feb 20th 2004, 11:03 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I'll arrange something on OzTips or one of the other tipping compies which automatically send you an email if you haven't completed your tips each week ... and will post back on this thread in due course.

Will give thought to the prize .. :-))

Best regards.

Yep, I meant to say I'm up for a tipping comp this season. I wasn't on this site last season but can I suggest entries to be posted in a thread entitled 'AFL tipping comp' (with the round fixtures pasted in) by Friday 5.00pm east coast time each week? First round starts 5 weeks today on 26th March.

We'll see if we can attract a major sponsor such as Go Matilda and there could be terrific prizes on offer? (sees he cheekily) Otherwise the prizes are as shown below.

OzTennis
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:36 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default AFL Footy Tipping Competition

OK, here we go ... you are invited to join the Go Matilda AFL 2004 Footy tipping competition for British Expats at OzTips.com.

Comp Number: 33534
Comp Name: The Go Matilda Footie Competition for British Expats
Password to join: gomatilda

To join:
----------------
1. Go to http://www.OzTips.com

2. From the home page, select "I'm new and I want to tip", and setup a user account (if you don't already have one on OzTips.com).

3. Select "I want to join a Tipping Comp" on the home page, or the "Tipping" tab.

4. Enter the Comp Number and Password details above.

5. That's it. Full instructions on how to tip can be found on the site by clicking on the "Help" tab.

Best regards.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 4:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Super 12 started this weekend. So Aussies (& wanabees) it's time to watch a proper sport not stupid games like Aussie Fools (Rules) & Rugby league.

Go Bulls!.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 9:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OOIII!
start your own "super 12" thread then, don't pinch mine with ya twaddle!!!
Old Feb 21st 2004, 10:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

You are in good company supporting the Bulldogs! See my new thread on the meaning of aussie rules. I haven't yet checked out the rest of the posts - did the 'Bullies' win?

OzTennis
Great to know i'm in such good company!
They lost but think you know that already, i'll yell for you next time aswel!
WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!!!
Old Feb 21st 2004, 10:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
OOIII!
start your own "super 12" thread then, don't pinch mine with ya twaddle!!!
Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just needed to explain that Rugby Union is the sport of kings & that Aussie Rules is just plain crap.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Amazulu
Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just needed to explain that Rugby Union is the sport of kings & that Aussie Rules is just plain crap.
That's why union will never take over from Aussie Rules in Australia - precisely because it is the sport of kings and public schoolboys and isn't the game of the people.

OzTennis
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
I thought that phrase was for horse racing.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:22 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
I thought that phrase was for horse racing.
it is.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 8:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My tips have been placed despite knowing jack about AFL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.