Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know any thing about Aussie rules??

Anyone know any thing about Aussie rules??

Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know any thing about Aussie rules??

My cousin just rang and asked if me and the kids want to go to the Telstra dome and watch the footy tonight.
So, decision made, me and the kids are off on our first Aussie rules extravaganza!
Anyone got any do's and don'ts, kind of "aussie rules etiquette" for the total novice, as i don't want to embarrass my poor true blue Aussie cousin!
Thanks
PS> We are supporting The Bulldogs, is that good or bad??
Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:49 pm
Merlot

Default Not a patch on soccer!

One for the Melbourne residents.

Enjoy the game!
M

Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Anyone know any thing about Aussie rules??

Originally posted by hevs
Re: Anyone know any thing about Aussie rules??
Isn't that the game of Football, where they don't actually use a ball, but a sort of elongated thing (dictionary definition of ball is a Round object), and where they run with it, carring it in their Hands ?

Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hevs

Just enjoy yourself! My neighbour has invited me to a game soon - he reckons it is the best entertaining game for spectators in Oz. I have been watching a bit on TV and started to understand it a bit more, but still can't fathom out how, as in football or rugby, there are different types of player for different positions!

Regards

Steve
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:09 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Isn't that the game of Football, where they don't actually use a ball, but a sort of elongated thing (dictionary definition of ball is a Round object), and where they run with it, carring it in their Hands ?

Tis true ABCDiamond, but in Australia anything goes!

Merlot

Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney siders call it aerial ping pong. It is hard to get the big picture watching it on tv as the game takes up a huge area.

ABCDiamond I have argued that point many a time here. I sometimes wind them up and ask if they are talking about AFL when they talk football.

As far as I can tell the locals cannot agree on what is football so I shall carry on calling the game played with feet football.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:28 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy it hevs ... though supporting the Doggies means you are destined to a year of disappointment!

Go Cats!

My cousin just rang and asked if me and the kids want to go to the Telstra dome and watch the footy tonight.
So, decision made, me and the kids are off on our first Aussie rules extravaganza!
Anyone got any do's and don'ts, kind of "aussie rules etiquette" for the total novice, as i don't want to embarrass my poor true blue Aussie cousin!
Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:30 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Footie!

And if you want to get up to speed on the game ... http://afl.com.au/

Enjoy!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:05 am
Badge

Default Re: Footie!

you lucky Dog!!!! That will be the Wizard cup. I'll see you on TV!!

badge

Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Alan Collett
And if you want to get up to speed on the game ... http://afl.com.au/

Enjoy!
I can't wait for the AFL season to start.

Go the Eagles!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:14 am
Badge

I would go with the Bulldogs for this game - Melbourne are a kind of team that people love to hate - I think. (Insofar as they have the history, the 'snobby' supporters!)

When a player kicks a goal, shout 'how big is it?" The umpire will then extend his arms out, indicating how 'big' it is.

Badge

Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:15 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I know this much, kick of 7:40 finish around 10:30, hour to get out the carpark. You'd better be praying the kids enjoy it . Plus normal rules are not fully in force tonight, apparanmtly they try out some different rules for the Wizard

I won't wait up but I will get up in the morning with the kids .

Getting home from work, having a swim, having a couple of cold ones, kicking back...I know where I'd rather be on a 36 degrees day.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
I know this much, kick of 7:40 finish around 10:30, hour to get out the carpark. You'd better be praying the kids enjoy it . Plus normal rules are not fully in force tonight, apparanmtly they try out some different rules for the Wizard
Have they dropped the melee rule?

I hate the melee rule, it was much better when they were allowed to "melee"
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:50 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
Have they dropped the melee rule?

I hate the melee rule, it was much better when they were allowed to "melee"
The 5 rule changes are

1) Mark in the goal square players now lined up directly in front
2) Ball hits post and comes into play then play on
3) Boundray umpire moves in 10 mtre to throw in ball
4) 10 metre circle for the ruckmen at the bounce of the ball
5) Umpire signals for vid replay to see if its a 9 point goal

Hope thats clear . Melee rule is still in force

Badge they aren't playing Melbourne theyre playing Richmond Tigers
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:53 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Enjoy it hevs ... though supporting the Doggies means you are destined to a year of disappointment!

Go Cats!
My colleague at work wants to remind you of one of the teams that the Doggies beat last year. Not once but twice.....The Cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.