Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone know about mining jobs?????

Wikiposts

anyone know about mining jobs?????

Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:06 am
Just Joined

jonathan.sl8ter is an unknown quantity at this point
Question anyone know about mining jobs?????

hi.
currently im getting spouse visa sorted , and wish within 9 months of getting to oz, getting a job in the mining( for the cash mainly)
just came back from my last trip to oz, and people are stating that" 100k jobs are the norm" and other jobs in the secter paying even more..
does anyone have any experiance in the sector, who could give me some kind of idea of what its really like, and pay, conditions, and where to get started in the mining industry??
i've looked a bit at dump truck drivers, and it seems to be a good starting point.
actually,previously, i have worked as a mechanical fitter/ technician ( diesels,hydraulics,airport loaders,oil research scientific lab test equipment, service engineer)- just to name a few. unfortunatly, i dont have academic tickets to sustantiate this- as i was usually hired by companys as a contracter-just did the job, got paid - then moved on when the work finished.
does anyone have any idea as to wether any of this would be taken into consideration,in the mining, or would i have to start from scratch over again??
any pointer would be great.. jonathan
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know about mining jobs?????

work in the mines may pay big bucks but it isnt all it is cracked up to be if you have others to think of. Long days in extreme dusty and hot climate and usually weeks at a time away from those you love. My other half does it and the money doesnt make up for the disruption it causes.

Cant offer advice on qualifications but there is a new mining boom about to kick off. My partner gets calls everyday wanting him to go join a new project - they just cant fill the positions.

Good luck with your move

Originally Posted by jonathan.sl8ter
hi.
currently im getting spouse visa sorted , and wish within 9 months of getting to oz, getting a job in the mining( for the cash mainly)
just came back from my last trip to oz, and people are stating that" 100k jobs are the norm" and other jobs in the secter paying even more..
does anyone have any experiance in the sector, who could give me some kind of idea of what its really like, and pay, conditions, and where to get started in the mining industry??
i've looked a bit at dump truck drivers, and it seems to be a good starting point.
actually,previously, i have worked as a mechanical fitter/ technician ( diesels,hydraulics,airport loaders,oil research scientific lab test equipment, service engineer)- just to name a few. unfortunatly, i dont have academic tickets to sustantiate this- as i was usually hired by companys as a contracter-just did the job, got paid - then moved on when the work finished.
does anyone have any idea as to wether any of this would be taken into consideration,in the mining, or would i have to start from scratch over again??
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hot, long hours, and not all jobs are as well paid as peeps think they are..

we thought about it for all of three minutes, I couldn't cope with HIM being away from me and the kids...
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:36 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

hi.
Most unskilled jobs are given to those that live in the mining towns, without qualifications you would be lucky to get a start, also the cost of housing to live in mining towns is another consideration. Driving the big trucks is usually done by women as they are arn't as rough on the trucks as the men.

If I were you I'd have a look at the LNG plants in Gladstone Qld. Lots of work going on there and the added advantage of living on the coast, although in a few yrs I'm not sure it will be any different to any other mining town.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Question Re: anyone know about mining jobs????? any more help??

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Most unskilled jobs are given to those that live in the mining towns, without qualifications you would be lucky to get a start, also the cost of housing to live in mining towns is another consideration. Driving the big trucks is usually done by women as they are arn't as rough on the trucks as the men.

If I were you I'd have a look at the LNG plants in Gladstone Qld. Lots of work going on there and the added advantage of living on the coast, although in a few yrs I'm not sure it will be any different to any other mining town.

thanks for the info.
actually-im a service engineer- but i dont have the ozzy quals as a diesel fitter or mechanical fitter/service technicien, although i have worked as a service technicien on diesels, generaters,airport loaders/tugs/ hydraulics, electrics, etc
i have access to a toyota coaster motorhome- therefore cutting out the accomodation hassle( father in law imports them from japan)
i dont consider myself a brute force and ignorant gorilla on driving machines( after having repaired numerous broken baggage loaders,tugs- i hate people who wreck the equipment in this fashion)
just wondered if anyone had any companys contact details..
i'll be in ocean shores nsw- and missus is ok for the fly in fly out- its a career choice-has anyone seen the rubbish jobs in the u.k- western country paying third world wages- its just appalling here- and i couldnt believe the aussies "dont want to go" to work in the mines to be setup in 10 years time..
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by daunted
work in the mines may pay big bucks but it isnt all it is cracked up to be if you have others to think of. Long days in extreme dusty and hot climate and usually weeks at a time away from those you love. My other half does it and the money doesnt make up for the disruption it causes.

Cant offer advice on qualifications but there is a new mining boom about to kick off. My partner gets calls everyday wanting him to go join a new project - they just cant fill the positions.

Good luck with your move
well would it be possible to get some addresses to check these companys out??
im not the type to wimp out over heat, and work-especially as we can be setup cash wise in a few years of graft( try that in the u.k.) and my o.h. is ok for it as we can do it for a few years to get ahead..
it just seemed the ozzy blokes just had it tooo easy over there speaking to them- cant be bothered for 17 quid a hour-pool cleaners on 55aud /hr, water meter readers on 1000aud a week.. in the uk, you would get knifed in the fight for the place in the queue at that price..
i weighed it up-
a few years of graft , and being able to live confortably,
-or a lifetime of scratching around for a pittance- and a pitiful retirement at the end of it all.
just one bullet now for the second option
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:16 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know about mining jobs????? any more help??

thanks for the info.
actually-im a service engineer- but i dont have the ozzy quals as a diesel fitter or mechanical fitter/service technicien, although i have worked as a service technicien on diesels, generaters,airport loaders/tugs/ hydraulics, electrics, etc
i have access to a toyota coaster motorhome- therefore cutting out the accomodation hassle( father in law imports them from japan)
i dont consider myself a brute force and ignorant gorilla on driving machines( after having repaired numerous broken baggage loaders,tugs- i hate people who wreck the equipment in this fashion)
i'll be in ocean shores nsw- and missus is ok for the fly in fly out- its a career choice-has anyone seen the rubbish jobs in the u.k- western country paying third world wages- its just appalling here- and i couldnt believe the aussies "dont want to go" to work in the mines to be setup in 10 years time..
Have a look at the mining companies websites there are lots if them. If your in NSW I know Peabody have operations in the hunter valley, singleton area.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:17 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Was told by my company was that I would have my pay increased to 130k from 85 and I was to do 3 on 1 off. I told my company to piss off wasn't interested in going up North it's shit.

Not everyone but mining is full of people who generally have failed at life.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weebie
Was told by my company was that I would have my pay increased to 130k from 85 and I was to do 3 on 1 off. I told my company to piss off wasn't interested in going up North it's shit.

well 130k, is a fair old whack-in the uk, you would be looking at 50kaud about..
what would 35kaud get you in 5 years??
not a question of failing- its a question of getting cash for a project- and quickly.anyhow- depends where you want to go in mining-i reckon with the right drive, and skills, its possible to move upwards- and increase earning potential aswell.btw- who do you work for???
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:43 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

So is the british army
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
So is the british army
yeah-i was delivering concensus and voting forms-a couple of years ago- to the "houses" of squaddies in iraq/afghanistan- -i saw the wives of squaddies at the barracks- living in shoddy squalor, and spoke to these guys that had been more or less conned into joining the british army from some far away african country--all that what for??
risking yer nuts for 17 grand( if that)and risk loosing your legs - cos the british army( who in ww2 invented tanks with chain flails on the front to get troops through minefields)havent yet figured out that they could use s/h chieftan battle tanks-converted to the same purpose(which can be bought for not much on the web)-to detonate these ieds without risk.or-finding them with metal detecters, and using a .50cal rifle with h.e. rounds to safely detonate them from a distance..
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:32 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for the info.
If you base yourselves in NSW you won't be working on the mines I'll tell you that right now. You also won't be able to live in a Campervan hahah but nice try . Mining jobs are still hard to get essentially you need to get somone to vouch for you or posess an Engineering degree.

Theres nothing wrong with doing a couple of years on site. Long term though don't be suprised if your partner leaves you. In Australia that will mean a loss of more than half your assets and essentially from then on whats the point of going on site?

Some of my mates have been at it for 5 years and are despite being savvy investors like many young Australians they're are far from set up. Basically the costs of living in Australia is so high these boys aren't going to be retiring early. The cost of living in Perth is double that off London don't underestimate how little 100k can be. The reality is that the smart educated people don't go on minesites as they know it's not worth the money. One of best mates is at Rio and wants out after 6 years. He is totally lost for words on how to exit the industry and find something else in the city.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's my life over then.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of living in Perth is double that off London
Double? Life in Perth (like the rest of Australia) is expensive but it ain't double that of London.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Double? Life in Perth (like the rest of Australia) is expensive but it ain't double that of London.
Yeah it is except for Fuel and High End Hyde Park Flats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.