British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   anyone know (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-know-305768/)

STEVE&TERRI May 29th 2005 4:17 pm

anyone know

Can you please tell me is it only a solicitor who can verifiy a document,can a police officer do it for us.

moneypenny20 May 29th 2005 4:26 pm

Re: anyone know

Originally Posted by STEVE&TERRI
Can you please tell me is it only a solicitor who can verifiy a document,can a police officer do it for us.

No a police officer can't. Solicitor can and generally charge. You can also contact your local magistrates court. JP's will do it and quite often don't charge.

It is a very limited list of acceptable people to certify in UK.

JAJ May 29th 2005 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No a police officer can't. Solicitor can and generally charge. You can also contact your local magistrates court. JP's will do it and quite often don't charge.

It is a very limited list of acceptable people to certify in UK.

The list of acceptable people in Australia is quite long, but overseas it's limited. In the UK it's a choice between a solicitor, JP or notary public.

Jeremy

Anastasia Beaverhausen May 29th 2005 6:03 pm

Most solicitors are quite reasonable with their charges. I have just had 6 documents done for £10. Other places were quoting around that mark.

pako May 29th 2005 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Most solicitors are quite reasonable with their charges. I have just had 6 documents done for £10. Other places were quoting around that mark.

I used a solicitor in London, they charged £5 a document, that's the standard charge for the area...I called round a stack of them.

Anastasia Beaverhausen May 29th 2005 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by pako
I used a solicitor in London, they charged £5 a document, that's the standard charge for the area...I called round a stack of them.

Most of the quotes I got were £5 per doc, but would make a deal for lots, so they came out at about £10 to £20 for my 6.

Jonahs_mummy May 29th 2005 7:11 pm

Its worth contacting your local Magistrates Court as I have spoken to many people on the forum who have had a JP at the Mags Court certify their stuff completely FOC!

Claire
x:)

hooperhome May 29th 2005 8:43 pm

We paid £5.00 with local solicitor

Theresa

sara-anthony3108 May 31st 2005 8:28 pm

we had a friend who is a jp so he did most of it ..the rest we got done by a solicitor .. not cheap though ..
Have u managed to get everything together .. hope so and good luck ..
we are still waiting for news ..

Originally Posted by STEVE&TERRI