British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone joined a football team since moving to Brisbane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-joined-football-team-since-moving-brisbane-260781/)

GrantP Oct 18th 2004 12:17 pm

Anyone joined a football team since moving to Brisbane?

I used to play a long time ago, and have thought of taking it up again once I move out to Brisbane as a way to keep fit :)

What's the deal with Football over there? ....all I know is that they call it 'Soccer'!! :o ...Are there plenty of teams? ....Am I likely to get a game??

All comments appreciated! ;)

Deadmeat Oct 18th 2004 12:23 pm

Re: Anyone joined a football team since moving to Brisbane?

Originally Posted by GrantP
I used to play a long time ago, and have thought of taking it up again once I move out to Brisbane as a way to keep fit :)

What's the deal with Football over there? ....all I know is that they call it 'Soccer'!! :o ...Are there plenty of teams? ....Am I likely to get a game??

I'll join ya once I'm out there, need a 'keeper? :)

GrantP Oct 18th 2004 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I'll join ya once I'm out there, need a 'keeper? :)

Funny enough, I'm a keeper! :) ...although I have played in other positions, and would play anywhere to get a game!!! :D

PommieLeague Oct 18th 2004 12:31 pm

Rugby League is the 'football' of Queensland and such a great game as well. Soccer exists at semi pro level as there is the Australian Soccer League.

Why not have a go at the real football when your there? www.qrl.com.au

GrantP Oct 18th 2004 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Rugby League is the 'football' of Queensland and such a great game as well. Soccer exists at semi pro level as there is the Australian Soccer League.

...because I suck at Rugby, and I wanna fall over and cry when someone touches me!! :p

GrantP Oct 18th 2004 12:39 pm

For those that are interested!....

I've found a few good websites on Soccer in the Brisbane area, but this seems one of the best!!

http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/asso...ssoc=894&pID=1

Deadmeat Oct 18th 2004 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lathlain

I have bad memories of Rugby at school ... I don't know where they breed sadistic PE teachers but it is a very dark and lonely place for bitter sad people.

Ours happened to play for London Scottish (a bit) and used to bore us with tales of his exploits ... he had one video of him playing that he used to play over and over ... <shudder> :)

And wouldn't you know it, I've found him on the 'net ...

Deadmeat Oct 18th 2004 12:47 pm

Funny enough, I'm a keeper! :) ...although I have played in other positions, and would play anywhere to get a game!!! :D

Well, only 20 players to go for a game then ... unless you fancy practising the goalkicks!

GLR Oct 18th 2004 12:56 pm

Hi Grant

I'm heading over to Brisbane in late Nov/early Dec and I'm also looking to play football, sorry soccer. ;)

I'm looking for a game of relatively laid back 5 a side rather than playing 11 a side in an ultra competitive league. Anyone know how these sort of things are structured in Bris?

cheers

GLR

elksa Oct 18th 2004 1:15 pm

Centre back/Midfielder seeks soccer team.

Count me in for any soccer team next season. Will be arriving between April and June and it's first priority!!!!

Soccer team sorted first, houseing and kids schooling second.

RichnKim Oct 18th 2004 1:38 pm

Yep, You can count me in. Should be over in the next month or so. Happy to play fives or eleven. although in that heat. Fives might mean I can make it to the bar afterwards.

Rich

Darren&Leanne Oct 18th 2004 1:58 pm

Hi there,
I was in the same position before coming out here.(been here 4.5 weeks )
I have just got back from my 3rd weeks of 5 a side(futsal they call it) at wellington point.
Also in Jan i start with a 11 aside adult team.
I used to play in the uk at 5 a side(friendly and competative) and 11 a side(sunday league).
Joining was easy. I just e mailed a few clubs and they told me to come along and i was straight in.
If any one is coming to the bayside area then give us a shout.(im 31).
I live in Birkdale in the bayside suburbs.
Darren.

TOADFISH Oct 18th 2004 3:03 pm

Grant my mate moved over last year and joined a footy team straight away, he has registered both myself & him for next season aswell, fingers crossed we will get there in time.

My mate Bam says the only problem is that the aussie Refs were not used to an angry little scots Fuc**r running about kicking seven shades out of the opposition and then screaming at his team mates to do the same!!

Bams philosophy is "thou shalt not pass" if you do, you will be doing so with a severe limp!!

MR MADSAD.

ScuntoBris Oct 18th 2004 11:45 pm

For those that are interested!....

I've found a few good websites on Soccer in the Brisbane area, but this seems one of the best!!

http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/asso...ssoc=894&pID=1

I have just finished my first full Aussie season, the sporting pulse site gives a good run down on the leagues and teams available, which fall under Brisbane Mens Soccer, there are other leagues available (over 35's and lower std).

Be prepared to train twice a week, and pay a fortune in subscription fees ($200-350), depending on what team you are at, top couple of divisions will pay you a small amount for wins and draws.

Any more info let me know.

GrantP Oct 20th 2004 6:26 am

Originally Posted by ScuntoBris
I have just finished my first full Aussie season, the sporting pulse site gives a good run down on the leagues and teams available, which fall under Brisbane Mens Soccer, there are other leagues available (over 35's and lower std).

Be prepared to train twice a week, and pay a fortune in subscription fees ($200-350), depending on what team you are at, top couple of divisions will pay you a small amount for wins and draws.

Any more info let me know.

Holy crap!! ...you get paid?? :scared: ....I'm not good enough to get paid!! I just want to get a game on the weekends!!

I don't mind training twice a week, it'll keep me fit!

I noticed on some of the websites I've visited that teams are advertising for players!! Is there a general shortage of players, or are they just scouting for talent??