Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone join any bushwalking clubs?

Anyone join any bushwalking clubs?

Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:54 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone join any bushwalking clubs?

Will be doing so myself. Just wondering if anyone has joined one in their locality and how they found it (hiking wise)
Ta
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone join any bushwalking clubs?

Originally Posted by seang
Will be doing so myself. Just wondering if anyone has joined one in their locality and how they found it (hiking wise)
Ta
One of my mates recently said when you return to live I'll take you rogaining! Think bushwalking and orienteering! He's also into 7 day hikes in the high country with tent and everything else carried on your back.

http://rogaine.asn.au/ara/

OzTennis
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:02 am
Badge

Ta
my wife got up at 6am in the first 4 months of her gestation (or whatever it called) to walk around the village for an hour with a neighbour along tracks in the bushland. I was impressed. I joined my neighbour a couple of times when she couldn't make it and it was great - we have k's of walks around here and you don't even have to go to the main road, nor leave the village and environs.

Badge

Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:11 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Its one of the things I am looking forward to. Am into the hiking/endurance walking and once I get used to heat (adds a whole new dimension) should be good to go. Not a bad way to see some of the "real" landscape. Also good to meet people when starting off. Did the trailwalker a few years back and they do them in Sydney and Melbourne as well (with the gurkha's - bloody fit lads they hold the record 100k in 10hours in the uk-unbelievable stuff )
However to anyone thinking of the bushwalking they do handy 10K walks etc - so worth a look if you are interested.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Its one of the things I am looking forward to. Am into the hiking/endurance walking and once I get used to heat (adds a whole new dimension) should be good to go. Not a bad way to see some of the "real" landscape. Also good to meet people when starting off. Did the trailwalker a few years back and they do them in Sydney and Melbourne as well (with the gurkha's - bloody fit lads they hold the record 100k in 10hours in the uk-unbelievable stuff )
However to anyone thinking of the bushwalking they do handy 10K walks etc - so worth a look if you are interested.
The aforementioned mate also did a walk a few years back from one of the ports near Adelaide in SA to Bendigo in Vic where he lives (goodness knows how many hundred miles let alone k's that is). It was to re-enact the walk the Chinese had to do to the goldfields. The Victorian government put a tax on (Asian) immigrants so the nice shipowners used to dump them at a SA port to avoid paying the tax then they had to walk overland.

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Aug 29th 2005 at 10:34 am.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know of any bush skills/survival courses that you can do in WA?.

I learnt a lot about this when I was in the infantry in South Africa but a lot of it would not be useful in Aussie & I would need to get some local knowledge.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu

I learnt a lot about this when I was in the infantry in South Africa but a lot of it would not be useful in Aussie & I would need to get some local knowledge.
Many get all the local skills they think need by watching Les Hiddins, the 'Bush Tucker Man' from the comfort of their living rooms.

Seriously, I'm sure there will be clubs and courses in WA for you. Google throws up 680 hits for "survival courses australia" and for some strange reason when you search within results and add WA you get 1,330 hits! Have a look anyway.

OzTennis
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:07 am
small steps long journey

Just did a quick google and this one seems to have an online option here might not be what you are looking for though.
Seleous scouts?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:08 am
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The aforementioned mate also did a walk a few years back from one of the ports near Adelaide in SA to Bendigo in Vic where he lives (goodness knows how many hundred miles let alone k's that is). It was to re-enact the walk the Chinese had to do to the goldfields. The Victorian government put a tax on (Asian) immigrants so the nice shipowners used to dump them at a SA port to avoid paying the tax then they had to walk overland.

OzTennis
thats quiet a stroll .........
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a quick google and this one seems to have an online option here might not be what you are looking for though.
Seleous scouts?
That looks quite good. Thanks for that. Selous Scouts were Rhodesian (the finest special forces unit, ever), although we did have some of them serving in our army. No, I was infantry, although heavily involved in counter insurgency.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:30 am
small steps long journey

That looks quite good. Thanks for that. Selous Scouts were Rhodesian (the finest special forces unit, ever), although we did have some of them serving in our army. No, I was infantry, although heavily involved in counter insurgency.
There seems to be heaps of courses there - guess it a case of sorting through the good from the bad but guess you know what your looking for. Some advanced ones look interesting.

agree totally on scouts - bloody tough as nails.

Last edited by seang; Aug 29th 2005 at 11:32 am. Reason: my bloody spelling getting worse
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thats quiet a stroll .........
Yeah, sure is. Done in the heat of summer, a few hundred of them, mainly orienteers, bushwalkers, rogainers and some descendants of the original Chinese miners.

OzTennis
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:54 am
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yeah, sure is. Done in the heat of summer, a few hundred of them, mainly orienteers, bushwalkers, rogainers and some descendants of the original Chinese miners.

OzTennis
Instead of typing all those words in you could have just put headcases in

but seriously thats quiet a feat (get it feet )
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:19 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

You could get in some practice with a walk to Australia - about the same distance as Deborah De Williams waltz around Aus - 15,669 kms in 343 days.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:30 pm
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by Megalania
You could get in some practice with a walk to Australia - about the same distance as Deborah De Williams waltz around Aus - 15,669 kms in 343 days.
Thats amazing. Bit of a Forrest Gump job - just keep going and stop when there's nowhere left.(Average - 45K aday)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.