Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with info on ADELAIDE

Anyone with info on ADELAIDE

Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Del-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really nice
Default Anyone with info on ADELAIDE

Hi hoping to move to Adelaide and was looking for info on good suburbs, schools etc. Having never visited Adelaide any info would be much appreciated. Also I am an electrician so what are the work prospects like?

Derek (29), Joanne (32), Ben(5), Sienna(3).
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone with info on ADELAIDE

HI,, its very much a personal thing with what you like about where you live,, we loved Adelaide, however struggled a lot for work,, eventually came bk the UK,, thinking about going bk or trying Perth,, Adelaide is my 1 st choice tho,, its quiet, quite spacious and has everything you need really to survive,, beaches are great, school my kids went to was ok didnt have any probs,,we prefer the coast so we havent got far to go to get down to the beach,, some love the hills,, think its best to get there and visit as many suburbs as poss then decide! cant comment on employment for you sorry, best to look on job site!

Bluekipper
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I'm from Adelaide.I lived in the suburbs growing up and then later up country!Firstly there are lots of good suburbs,but it depends what your interests are?Do you want to live near the beach?The city?The hills?If you pm me I can advise which suburbs to avoid!Adelaide is a good city but don't expect it to be London or Manchester because its far from it.Most people (locals)would describe it as a large country town!The city is fairly small and compact but I think thats a bonus because it makes it easier to get around!Rundle Mall is pretty much the place to shop and its central.Most suburbs have very large shopping complexes.For example if you head south you can shop at either Marion or Colonades,both huge.Head north and you have Tea Tree Plaza,equally huge.With each city there are good and bad suburbs to live,and some are much rougher than others.Sorry can't help with the work situ,but if you need any further help,with anything else,just ask.Good luck!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Thanks for heads-up. Livinginreality, may take you up on PM offer as we are due to travel this year. Other resources would be

www.pomsinadelaide.com

www.ozburbs.com

Twinset
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We live in SA and my OH is also an Electrician - works not too bad, and there's still quite a few jobs being advertised in the papers. Although it does depend which type of sparky you are - he has done maintenance for the past 10 years and the overtime has dried up in his company for now, house bashing there's quite a lot of that type of work around.

I'm not even getting into the suburb debate as it's such a personal choice and depends on what you like and don't like, where you are going to be working and a whole heap of other stuff. It's not like it's a tiny place, it's like asking where in the UK you should live - it's massive
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Hi Twinset
Been in Adelaide since June 07, and loving it We live in Blackwood which Is 20mins to the beach 20 mins to the city, PM with any questions. Good Luck
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:46 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del-Jo
Hi hoping to move to Adelaide and was looking for info on good suburbs, schools etc. Having never visited Adelaide any info would be much appreciated. Also I am an electrician so what are the work prospects like?

Derek (29), Joanne (32), Ben(5), Sienna(3).
You should find this site helpful......
http://www.adelaidebound.com/
.............mm
Old May 15th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default where are you

Wendy, how are you its been ages since i have seen any Post on here from you

Arthur
Old May 15th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Hi all,

Righty! I am now booked to come to Adelaide, one-way, arriving on morning of 17th June. My prospective employer is meeting me (after 2 days plus of travelling.....better get a shower en-route!).

Planning to get a short term let for a month or so in Glenelg - I am coming in 3 weeks ahead of my wife and two kids - anyone got any thoughts on accommodation and most cost-effective way of doing it?

Stayz are all around the $120 a night - anyone got any suggestions around some cheaper accommodation? I reckon when the famiuly arrive, that is probably the way forwards, but I would just be kicking around a 2 or 3 bedroom gaff for 3 weeks on my own.

Twinset
Old May 15th 2009, 10:06 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset
Hi all,

Righty! I am now booked to come to Adelaide, one-way, arriving on morning of 17th June. My prospective employer is meeting me (after 2 days plus of travelling.....better get a shower en-route!).

Planning to get a short term let for a month or so in Glenelg - I am coming in 3 weeks ahead of my wife and two kids - anyone got any thoughts on accommodation and most cost-effective way of doing it?

Stayz are all around the $120 a night - anyone got any suggestions around some cheaper accommodation? I reckon when the famiuly arrive, that is probably the way forwards, but I would just be kicking around a 2 or 3 bedroom gaff for 3 weeks on my own.

Twinset
http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/
You could try this site.
They might cut you a weekly deal, seeing as its off season...........?........mm
Old May 16th 2009, 3:08 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

We're in Adelaide and love it!! Very laid back and so much to offer all the family, gets a bad press at times but I guess it depends on what you are looking for!!