British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone Immigrated as an Environmental Health Officer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-immigrated-environmental-health-officer-544777/)

getmethere Jun 23rd 2008 7:09 pm

Anyone Immigrated as an Environmental Health Officer

Just wondering if anyone has immigrated listed this occupation.

My OH is not an environmental health officer, he's an environmental scientist but we've asked around a few agents and a few people supposedly in the know and someone pointed out to us that the duties for an Environmental health officer are similar to what my OH does on a day-to-day basis.

They are actually right, for example like waste management and reducing pollution etc but my OH has degree in environ science with work experience for a manufacturing company doing environmental management systems so it doesn't conform to my idea of what an environmental health officer does.

Anyway, just wondered if any environmental health officers out there also worked for private manufacturing companies (ie. not government) and did an environmental/pollution related role rather than government food hygience etc jobs that I associate with environ health.

BEVS Jun 26th 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Anyone Immigrated as an Environmental Health Officer

I dunno if this will help at all

A link to

The New Zealand Institute of Environmental Health.

This for coming from overseas

oopss .
I have just noticed this is in the Ozzy forum. The above links are for NZ.

getmethere Jun 27th 2008 6:56 am

that's ok - thanks BEVS - we are kindof looking at both Oz & NZ at the moment as we haven't yet decided exactly which one will be best for us so it will help.

Geelong Gent Jun 27th 2008 7:21 am

Originally Posted by getmethere (Post 6508645)
that's ok - thanks BEVS - we are kindof looking at both Oz & NZ at the moment as we haven't yet decided exactly which one will be best for us so it will help.

We do a lot of work with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) here in Oz. Alot of what our work involves environmental waste management.

Not sure what sort of work is available but happy to pass on your CV to my colleagues in Queensland?

GinaUK Jun 27th 2008 7:29 am

Sometime ago RabC emigrated to Townsville (Queensland) as an environmental health officer. If I remember correctly at the time the job was so much in demand that he had a telephone interview in the UK and job all sorted before he even got to Oz.

Do a search for RabC and tick "threads started by user" and quite a few posts should pop up.

Gina

dcm Jun 28th 2008 9:19 am

My husband has a degree in environmental science and a MSc in environmental management - he works for a mining company - if you look on seek there are always jobs in this field. He contacted recruitment consultants too who were very helpful and who still send him info on new jobs.

hope you find something

deb

just had a quick check on seek and there are quite a few environmental science/management positions for you to look at

Rabc Jul 4th 2008 8:58 am

Originally Posted by GinaUK (Post 6508718)
Sometime ago RabC emigrated to Townsville (Queensland) as an environmental health officer. If I remember correctly at the time the job was so much in demand that he had a telephone interview in the UK and job all sorted before he even got to Oz.

Do a search for RabC and tick "threads started by user" and quite a few posts should pop up.

Gina

Hello ;)

We both emigrated as EHOs. We are both qualified CIEH acredited degrees and found that employers were falling over themselves to get us over here. I had a phone interview and was offered the job there and then with Townsville City Council and my missus got phoned by the Council next door and offered a job based on her CV (no interview :blink:)

Anyway 2½ years down the line I am the Secretary of the Northern section of the AIEH and Regulatory Services Cordinator and Anne is in charge of a team of EHOs both with council vehicles and a very nice income in a wonderful part of the world.

If you want to work in the private sector there is loads of work, firms like Maunsell and the like spring to mind. I doubt with you get through VETASSES without an EHO degree if you want to take that route. If you cant get a suitable fit see if you can get a sponsorship from a suitable firm and convert it when you get here. If you don't mind working for Councils or State Health there are tons of jobs. Just ask :thumbsup:

Andrew Lloyd Jul 22nd 2008 7:58 pm

Hi RabC,

Great to see soembody that left the UK as an EHO and is doing really well for themselves.

I am also taking the same route, although im only a recent graduate and 25 yo.

Since finishing college ive done a contract over in North England as an EHO (9 month contract around the time the smokefree legislation was introduced), they asked me to stay on and take a perm role but I didnt really like England for a number of reasons (Im form Dublin, Ireland by the way) and with it being near impossible to get an EHO job in ireland at the moment, Im looking towards Oz.

I have CIEH membership and EH registration and am also a member of the EHOA over here in Ireland, so I qualify to work as an EHO in Oz.

I have a mate down in Perth working as an EHO and hes loving every minute of it.

I was onto a LG recruiter in WA and he told me there are 130 EHO vacancies in WA alone! This seems crazy, total opposite to the Irish situation.

Are there many differences between work as an EHO in the UK and Oz? I hear the legislation is not as good as the Uk legislation and this can be quite frustrating.
Also in Oz there seems to be a bigger emphasis on being a district EHO rather than specific work, although im sure this depends ont he individual council.
And how do the councils compare to the UK councils - is it much the same in terms of working hours, benefits etc??

Im sure over the next few months before my move I may have a few more questions, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am still trying to make up my mind at this point!