Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with house extentions.....

Anyone with house extentions.....

Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Anyone with house extentions.....

We have had two different extensions on our house.
When i was getting all of the paperwork ready to give to the solicitor i found that i had nothing relating to the first build whatsoever!!!
So i wrote to the council asking for copies etc. Had a phone call yesterday saying that there was no completion inspection carried out on the property! OMG! So i rang them this morning (having kittens) to be told its actually quite a common occurance, yes really! So we have got someone coming out on friday to inspect it, its been there for 10 years so hopefully its ok.
If anyone is a total ditz like me and is crap with paperwork, it might be an idea to get this checked out if you about to sell your house. Oh and just spoke to the solicitor, who said "thanks, you're doing a great job" Do you think i'll get a discount?!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:16 am
WBB

Default Re: Anyone with house extentions.....

Originally posted by h garrett
We have had two different extensions on our house.
When i was getting all of the paperwork ready to give to the solicitor i found that i had nothing relating to the first build whatsoever!!!
So i wrote to the council asking for copies etc. Had a phone call yesterday saying that there was no completion inspection carried out on the property! OMG! So i rang them this morning (having kittens) to be told its actually quite a common occurance, yes really! So we have got someone coming out on friday to inspect it, its been there for 10 years so hopefully its ok.
If anyone is a total ditz like me and is crap with paperwork, it might be an idea to get this checked out if you about to sell your house. Oh and just spoke to the solicitor, who said "thanks, you're doing a great job" Do you think i'll get a discount?!

we had the same problem with our last house, but as you say it is a common thing so there should be no problem.

Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:17 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone think H is an addict

Heather has plumbed new lows in her addiction to Expats. I rang to speak to her regarding what was happening with solicitors etc only to be told "Look on the forum, I've got a client "(no dubious comments please)

So my wife is now communicating to me through the forum. Righto. Whats for tea love, can you pick up my suit from the dry cleaners
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:18 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone with house extentions.....

We had a similar problem on day of contract exchange the solicitor rang to say that documents relating to our kitchen extension which should have been sent with the deeds were not there (land registry, building inspection etc). BF rushed home from work and found them at home - I swear I had never seen them before. Why we had them at home I have no idea.
Faxed them off to the solicitors and exchange took place the following day.

We've now completed and have the dosh in the bank. Nice feeling!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't panic, don't panic!!

We went through all this yesterday, just before we exchanged. Why they wait til the last minute beats me.

We did manage to find the said piece of paper, but our solicitor said that if the worst happened and we couldn't find it, then they could issue an indemnity form for £80 and it would all be up and running within the half hr. I think they can only do this for properties over 10yrs old so you'll be ok.

Come on....book those flights.....I want a Melbourne meet up before Christmas!!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Matt

At least you communicate

Lynn
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi H

Yeah ask for a discount.. Hubby always complains about the solicitors fees and says he could have done that bit himself etc. He got a reduction in fees last time... Just be cheeky and persistant...

BooBoo the cheeky
Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OK, its update time (cos i'm being lazy and responding to lots of people asking of news all at once ) (thanks though, its nice to know you care. aahhh)

at about 4 am i had a horrible thought "when i gave solicitor paper work, did new extension have said docs," oh shite, don't remember seeing any!!! After no more sleep, i rang him and he triple checked the file and said "er no it doesn't seem to be here" So i rang the nice lady at the council who checked her screen and said same as solicitor aRGGHHH

So the buildings reg man is coming out tomorrow and inspecting both extensions.... OMG i hope they are ok:scared:

But then i cheered myself up mightily when i remembered that i had booked my flights with sinagapore airlines yesterday for the 21st of October, they can be changed as many times as we need free of charge (before 10th dec) arty:

Then told the solicitor he needs to get his finger out!!!

Thats all folks xxxxx

Last edited by hevs; Sep 25th 2003 at 7:51 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 5:43 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Extension

OMG I had out the building control yest...
and my loft conversion failed on the floor joists on there bearing surface on the new wall plate. Worst case scenari is that my beutiful new floor has to come out and be put in a nice warm skip :scared:

So good luck Heather and give the soli another kick cos its fun I hate soli`s and U wont get a discount infact they will probably fleece U some more.