British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone in here NOT in IT? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-here-not-106881/)

rdennys Mar 7th 2002 9:39 am

Anyone in here NOT in IT?

It seems from the debate as though all posters in this group are people in IT entering or entered Aus as skilled migrants

Anyone any experience/guidance for us non-IT people?

I am a marketing director and my wife is a senior advertising sales manager - she is Aussie PR and has been offered a 100k+ job in Sydney through old contacts. I am hoping for (but not counting chickens yet) spouse visa for me and our young daughter. I had planned to spend some time looking after her and building up a consulting business from home but from reading all your 'you need loads of money to live in sydney' comments looks as though I will need a permanent paid job from day one and resorting to childcare.

(Incidentally - childcare is DEFINITELY at least 50% (or more) cheaper in Aus than in the UK. My enquiries tell me that I would pay in dollars what I currently pay in pounds right now)

Anyone any idea of the state of the marketing and media industries? From what I read, it's getting better after a 'lull' (putting it mildly) last year.

seekexecutive.com.au seems to offer plenty of work for me and chats with sydneyside recruitment agents sound positive, but I wonder if this is giving me a true picture.

How about Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane etc etc?

Any help/advice appreciated...

Thanks

Richard

heading downunder 2002 Mar 7th 2002 11:26 am

Re: Anyone in here NOT in IT?

Hi Richard,

Sorry I can't give you any advice regarding your questions but just to let you know there are plenty of us non ITers in here as well. Its just because of our long wait we don't often have much news to report. Hopefully once July gets here this site will be full of those of us that are waiting patiently, anouncing recieving our visas, I can't wait!!!!

Susan

micky Mar 7th 2002 11:50 am

Hi Richard,

I am non IT. We have applied on Skilled Migration under my wifes occupation. She is a Reg. Gen. Nurse.
Her cousin lives in Sydney. VERY expensive ie. accommodation.
We have decided to migrate to Perth.
I went there last August for 2 weeks to suss things out.
If you can afford it, go to Sydney and check out everything you can, eg. real estate, cost of living,
Put it on the plastic card. It cost me about £1500 inc. spending money. But I stayed with my cuz in Perth.
I took the camcorder to let wife & 4 kids get alittle insight to the place.
I dont know where you live just now. We live near Glasgow and are totally p*****d off with the weather, no outdoor life/activities and council tax costs etc!!!!!!!!!
Why Sydney?
Keep in touch.
Regards, Michael

Sandy Cruden Mar 7th 2002 2:06 pm

--

"rdennys" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It seems from the debate as though all posters in this group are people in IT
    > entering or entered Aus as skilled migrants
    >
    > Anyone any experience/guidance for us non-IT people?
    >
    > I am a marketing director and my wife is a senior advertising sales manager - she
    > is Aussie PR and has been offered a 100k+ job in Sydney through old contacts. I am
    > hoping for (but not counting chickens yet) spouse visa for me and our young
    > daughter. I had planned to spend some time looking after her and building up a
    > consulting business from home but from reading all your 'you need loads of money to
    > live in sydney' comments looks as though I will need a permanent paid job from day
    > one and resorting to childcare.
    >
    > (Incidentally - childcare is DEFINITELY at least 50% (or more) cheaper in Aus than
    > in the UK. My enquiries tell me that I would pay in dollars what I currently pay in
    > pounds right now)
    >
    > Anyone any idea of the state of the marketing and media industries? From what I
    > read, it's getting better after a 'lull' (putting it
    > mildly) last year.
    >
    > seekexecutive.com.au seems to offer plenty of work for me and chats with sydneyside
    > recruitment agents sound positive, but I wonder if this is giving me a true
    > picture.
    >
    > How about Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane etc etc?
    >
    > Any help/advice appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Richard

I think your Marketing skills and your wife's PR background will keep you in either
Sydney or Melbourne, simply because of the size of those two city's jobs markets.

The Oz media industry looks like it is heading for one of it's biggest shakeups in
years which could provide opportunities. The marketing industry has always been
robust in Sydney and Melbourne. The way the Oz economy is leading the world at
present means growth there as well.

Also for anyone interested, The IT industry has grown a lot in Canberra in recent
years. It is one of the city's success stories assisted a lot by federal government
outsourcing. House prices are MUCH cheaper than those in Sydney. It is a pleasant
city to live in, green, spacious, with excellent facilities, although the climate is
not as good as Sydney. COLD in winter. HOT in summer. Cost of living is on a par
with Sydney.

I lived in Canberra for 37 years

Sandy
    >
    >
    >
    > --

A+V Johnson Mar 7th 2002 6:07 pm

Hi Michael I am A registered Nurse and we received our Visas 6th Dec 2001. Although
we are going to Brisbane much cheaper and a little warmer good luck Adrian and Roni
"micky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > I am non IT. We have applied on Skilled Migration under my wifes occupation. She is
    > a Reg. Gen. Nurse. Her cousin lives in Sydney. VERY expensive ie. accommodation. We
    > have decided to migrate to Perth. I went there last August for 2 weeks to suss
    > things out. If you can afford it, go to Sydney and check out everything you can,
    > eg. real estate, cost of living, Put it on the plastic card. It cost me about £1500
    > inc. spending money. But I stayed with my cuz in Perth. I took the camcorder to let
    > wife & 4 kids get alittle insight to the place. I dont know where you live just
    > now. We live near Glasgow and are totally p*****d off with the weather, no outdoor
    > life/activities and council tax costs etc!!!!!!!!! Why Sydney? Keep in touch.
    > Regards, Michael
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

ianc Mar 7th 2002 7:21 pm

Hi Richard - I'm an operations director and applied for a PR in Jan.

I share your views that most people here are IT orientated and seem to be
sailing through the application process - I'm in for at least a 12-month
wait however.

I believe that if you're good at what you do and have a track record of
success then you will find work over there - and your in the fortunate
position of having a spouse who's already got a job. I will probably be
starting from scratch if I can't convince my company to let me go out there
on spec for a while!

Ian

Wannastay Mar 7th 2002 8:36 pm

to all you non-it'ers out there - applied (yesterday) for PR - I am in the recruitment industry, and i am currently living in Melbourne on a 457 visa (expires Feb 05). Didnt use an agent, just plain old common sense. Been told i am in for a 50 week wait (provided that the points dont go up that is).

waiting, waiting waiting, christ i got ulcers just trying to get all the documentation together !

cheers
a

dani Mar 8th 2002 12:40 am

How long did you have to wait for your 457 visa?

I have been offered two jobs, one applying for a RSMS visa and the other a 457. Both offer similar salary etc., so the length of time waiting for a visa will be one of the deciding factors!

Dani

Wannastay Mar 8th 2002 12:47 am

got the job secured (ie signed contract), company organised for a 3mth multiple entry/exit visa whilst the 457 was being processed. so in effect, i came over 2 days after signing the contract, and got my 457 about 2 weeks after i arrived (hell of a lot quicker than waiting around in the UK).

ndaltonb Mar 8th 2002 9:49 am

Hi Richard,

I'm the same, (Director, Sales and Marketing) waiting for my Skilled PR visa. A lot of people do post that the job market is low but everytime I look at the job boards for Melbourne, I see loads of sales and marketing jobs.

Personally, I'm going to look for jobs well below my current one as frankly, I have no experience of the local market. It's time to go down a few rungs and work my way back up. If I were to go over and expect to step into a Director's position over there, I'd reckon I'd be disappointed and somewhat arrogant. On the other hand, should a great position fall into my, I'm not going to say no.

I'd say a job soon after getting there, with good prospects, isbe a lot better than hanging out for an equivalent position and burning through my savings.

Best of luck.

Nigel db

rdennys Mar 8th 2002 10:04 am

Thanks Nigel, thats good advice and no I wouldn't mind dropping down a gear - some time ducking the politics and brickbats and actually *doing* stuff seems pretty attractive. Do you think there's a danger to this approach of falling into the 'overqualification' hole? Do you think employers would take the risk? As a director, would you hire someone with the same skills and experience as you into a more junior role?

I also take your point about local markets - I have some experience and contacts within US, which may help, but none at all within Far Eastern/Pacific Rim.

I am thinking that this may be the ideal time to do a full-time MBA, and treat the time and cost (funded by some capital as well as a loan) as an investment for the future as well. It'll also help build up the contacts network. It should also give me a whole year/18 months to find the right position.

Thanks once again.

Richard.

ndaltonb Mar 8th 2002 10:22 am

Hi Richard,

I agree, *doing* something is pretty attractive.

As regards "over qualification", I'd say my new boss would be getting a whole load of practical knowledge (not market relevant admitedly) and experience at a good price. The bigger danger is can the direct manager handle someone more qualified working for them. If you can hammer that out before joining, I don't think there will be a problem. The onus will be on me to make sure I don't annoy my boss. It just wouldn't be right as he has, by definition, more market experience than I. After 12 months, I would be hoping for a rapid promotion.

And yes, I have hired a more experienced person than me. We just got things sorted out at the interview stage.

It's going to be fun! Frankly, if I can't sort this out with my boss-to-be, maybe I shouldn't work for them.

Good idea re the MBA to build up the contacts.

Ndaltonb

britbird Mar 8th 2002 2:49 pm

Hello Richard
I am a fellow non IT person.
I am a wedding dress pattern cutter and grader and semi retired company director.(just sold my company!) The bridal industry seems to be very similar to our uk market and the trends seem to be the same. Not that that will really light your candle!!
I managed to get a full 60' for my skills as a pattern cutter and grader. Looking forward to lighting the Australian bridal industry alight with my amasing skill and creativity!
Have been waiting now for 15 months for our visa and have another wonderful 5 months left!!!
But going out to Brisbane for a couple of weeks soon, which will keep me going!
Britbird