Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here got their mam and dad in on a parent visa?????

Anyone on here got their mam and dad in on a parent visa?????

Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone on here got their mam and dad in on a parent visa?????

I was reading on the dept of immigration website that there is a backlog of over 5 years for parent visas.....anyone else trying to get/have got there mam and dad over here on a parent visa????

If so is it a lot of hassle and what was the waiting time?

Cheers....
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on here got their mam and dad in on a parent visa?????

Originally posted by warwick road
I was reading on the dept of immigration website that there is a backlog of over 5 years for parent visas.....anyone else trying to get/have got there mam and dad over here on a parent visa????

Cheers....
If you have been a resident for more than 2 years and if your parents pass the 'balance of family' test then the new Contributory parent visa only takes a few months.
If they do not pass the 'balance of family' test they will not qualify for a parent visa at all.
The non contributory visa is probably a lot longer than 5 years.

If they are over 55 they can get a 410 retirement visa if they have enough money.

G
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
If you have been a resident for more than 2 years
Hi G
Do you actually require citizneship as opposed to residency? I always understood it as that you needed citizenship before you could start the parent migration process.
Thanks
HP
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi G
Do you actually require citizneship as opposed to residency? I always understood it as that you needed citizenship before you could start the parent migration process.
Thanks
HP
HP
It's just residency as I read it.
My son is a citizen but it is not necessary.

Someone may correct me if I am wrong.

Best wishes

G
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi G
Thanks
HP
Just checked the DIMIA website.
2 years PR is OK

G
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:50 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Cheers....

We are going to look into this as well if we ever get out to Oz and there are things called bridging visas whereby the parents can come out on a bridging visa while applying for a parent visa ( I THINK), I know it is quite complicated to go through and an agent is best to advise but we will look into this route if we ever get to Brisbane, good luck!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nice one....

cheers!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:58 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Cheers....
We've been thinking futures, about the same thing. However I think in our case they're more likely to want to split their time between UK/NZ/Oz. They'll need a 'pied a terre' for the time spent in Oz - anyone know what the rules are about owning Oz property if you're not resident?

(Yeah, I know, typical, we'll probably end up having to buy them a flat to stay in, & set rules like no drugs, no loud parties, no old ashtrays under the beds etc )

Anya.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by leanda
We are going to look into this as well if we ever get out to Oz and there are things called bridging visas whereby the parents can come out on a bridging visa while applying for a parent visa ( I THINK), I know it is quite complicated to go through and an agent is best to advise but we will look into this route if we ever get to Brisbane, good luck!!!!
You will need to check this carefully. You can not go out on a bridging visa.It is used when a person is on one type of visa and is waiting for another.I do not think it applies to parent visas.

Get advice. I may be wrong.

Best wishes

G
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

As Grayling said, you must double check everything before you take any course of action. That said, my friends Mum came over last year on a holiday visa, then was granted a bridging visa as she has applied onshore for the Contributory Parent visa. She's just been asked for her meds. In the meantime she has been living in Australia. She hired a migration agent to do all the paperwork for her. cheers adelaidegirl
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
As Grayling said, you must double check everything before you take any course of action. That said, my friends Mum came over last year on a holiday visa, then was granted a bridging visa as she has applied onshore for the Contributory Parent visa. She's just been asked for her meds. In the meantime she has been living in Australia. She hired a migration agent to do all the paperwork for her. cheers adelaidegirl
That is very interesting.
I enquired about this a couple of years ago and,at that time,they would not allow it due to the long waiting time for a parent visa.
I suspect that the new Contributory visa has changed things as it only takes a few months to come through.
I doubt if it would be possible on a Non contributory visa but things seem to change all the time.
An agent would obviously be the best bet for advice.

Best wishes

G
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep Grayling, I think you are absolutely right. adelaidegirl