Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone here changed their name on uk passport ?

Anyone here changed their name on uk passport ?

Old Feb 14th 2004, 12:45 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone here changed their name on uk passport ?

The question is : The passport website indicates that you surrender your passport when you change your name, but doesnt mention if it then gets cancelled and returned to the holder. Anyone here changed their name and can tell me ?

Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2004, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi Luke

No you dont get the old one back.. i had to changed mine after remarrying 3yrs ago, had to surrender old one and it never been seen since ...... ahhhhh..hang on a mo...i might be lying!!...i now vaguely remember tht i ight have got it back but its unusable......

just forget everything...the heats playing me up :scared:
Old Feb 14th 2004, 12:52 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about UK passports but have changed name on aussie passport and just got an amendment on page 3.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:06 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I really need to know.
Problem I have is that when I got my passport in 70's my surname was that of my step father's, even though it was never legally changed.
I reverted back to my birth surname while in canada in the mid 80's but never got around to changing my passport because it was easier to just send expired one to passport office and get a new one.
I will be changing it to my birth surname while in uk this month but I really need to get my old one back as prof to dimia of my being in oz for the amount of time I have (as proof of living de-facto etc)
If I dont get my old passport back I suppose the only thing I could do would be to photocopy each page, showing all my entries into oz and get the photocopy's signed by jp etc, but dont know if that would be acceptable for dimia.
Surely they could type my passport number in their puter and see all the entry dates into oz ?
Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

just include a letter with it all expalaining the situation... i a sure its a vry common problem these days
Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Write a letter explaining that you need it back, and why. I will have a similar problem when I get mine changed to my married name, as my visa will be in the passport in my maiden name. They will send it back to you, with the new one, it just has "cancelled" stamped across the pages.

My mate got a new one last month, and just asked for the old one for sentimental reasons - he got it back, no problem.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
Problem I have is that when I got my passport in 70's my surname was that of my step father's, even though it was never legally changed.
I reverted back to my birth surname while in canada in the mid 80's but never got around to changing my passport because it was easier to just send expired one to passport office and get a new one.
I will be changing it to my birth surname while in uk this month but I really need to get my old one back as prof to dimia of my being in oz for the amount of time I have (as proof of living de-facto etc)
If I dont get my old passport back I suppose the only thing I could do would be to photocopy each page, showing all my entries into oz and get the photocopy's signed by jp etc, but dont know if that would be acceptable for dimia.
Surely they could type my passport number in their puter and see all the entry dates into oz ?
I guess you remember the rough dates of entry. If the info is not forthcoming put in the month rather than an inaccurate date. For the visa no put in ETA. As you say DIMIA have all the info on computer if they want to check it.

You will have to attach some explanatory notes regarding your name changes. I do not know what documentation DIMIA require for name changes.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:43 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
Ive got 3 passports downstairs..all different names as Im on marriage no 2...they send them back to you they cut a corner off the cover so that its invalid....Ive done this litterally 4 or 5 months ago..so dont worry your get em bak for the photocopying..
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:49 am
Banned

Default Thanks everyone for the info :)

Thanks all !

cheers
Old Feb 14th 2004, 7:31 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

No but I have had mine changed by deed poll. I got a copy of my full cert sent by ONS. It is terrible, you can't even read my date of birth. I find it very unlikely that immigration will accept it. I am going to call ONS when they open to see if they can do me a better copy.

Sarah
Old Feb 14th 2004, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine back when I changed my name (marriage)
As mentioned before, corner gets cut off to denote that it is invalid.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:47 am
Banned

Originally posted by teach
No but I have had mine changed by deed poll. I got a copy of my full cert sent by ONS. It is terrible, you can't even read my date of birth. I find it very unlikely that immigration will accept it. I am going to call ONS when they open to see if they can do me a better copy.
Sarah

newport eh ? dats me local passport office is newport
maybe only those who marry/divorce etc get their old passport back, in my case Im just reverting back to my birth surname. keeping fingers crossed
meanwhile back on the ranch here its way past 8pm sat, I should have at least 1/2 litre vino by now an I only had one glass, so cheers again everyone.

Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My mate wasn't getting married (LOL at the thought!!), just getting near the expiry date of the passport, so I reckon you'll be OK, but certainly if you request it back, you'll get it.