Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone heard of a place called Albury?

Anyone heard of a place called Albury?

Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

icec111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone heard of a place called Albury?

Hello All,Just found this web site and spent the last three hours reading some very interesting posts. My wife and I, along with our two young daughters, have just been granted our SIR visa to reside in Murrayshire, NSW. The major town/city in the region is called Albury and that's where we plan to live. As almost every post I've read involves people living in state capitals, I was wondering if any members had any experience of living in 'rural' Australia. Particularly Albury or its surrounding area but anywhere inland really.We'll be heading out as soon as the house sells or at the end of the school year (july 20th) if it doesn't sell.Regards,Craig and Pauline Hammans.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone heard of a place called Albury?

Originally Posted by icec111
Hello All,Just found this web site and spent the last three hours reading some very interesting posts. My wife and I, along with our two young daughters, have just been granted our SIR visa to reside in Murrayshire, NSW. The major town/city in the region is called Albury and that's where we plan to live. As almost every post I've read involves people living in state capitals, I was wondering if any members had any experience of living in 'rural' Australia. Particularly Albury or its surrounding area but anywhere inland really.We'll be heading out as soon as the house sells or at the end of the school year (july 20th) if it doesn't sell.Regards,Craig and Pauline Hammans.

My rellies live in Albury and i have a few links to websites about the area if you are interested
Mandy
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Yeah cheers Mand, that'd be great!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:46 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Craig and Pauline

You should have a chat with Mandy she visited this area (hers hubby's family)
Most likely she will see this thread shortly and let you know more.

See 2 great minds think alike - Hi Mandy
Attached Thumbnails Anyone heard of a place called Albury?-albury.jpg  

Last edited by thebears; Jan 7th 2007 at 9:50 pm. Reason: Didnt see Mandy had already replied
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah cheers Mand, that'd be great!
A couple of websites that i used for info are www.alburywodongaregion.com.au
www.albury-wodonga.com.
I loved the whole area around there and have a few photos of the hume weir region.
My rellies live in an area called splitters creek which is about 10-15 mins out of Albury itself, they live on a 5 acre block.
if you go on to www.realestate.com.au and use there new map facility it will give you a good idea of the lay out.
A lot of my research on the area is more concernered with the military there as we are in the process of joining the oz army. But i will happily share some of my info on the general area.
Mandy
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Craig and Pauline

hi shane, yep great minds do indeed think alike i never did pass that sign LOL
Mandy
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mandy,Much appreciated. I'm a regular on the real estate au website but I haven't checked the others out. Is your hubby in the RLC? I notice there's a logistics base near Albury. I'm ex-REME myself. Craig.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Mandy,Much appreciated. I'm a regular on the real estate au website but I haven't checked the others out. Is your hubby in the RLC? I notice there's a logistics base near Albury. I'm ex-REME myself. Craig.
Ive sent you a pm(private message)
Mandy
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:14 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Ive sent you a pm(private message)
Mandy
I have actually lived in Wodonga which is the Town right across the Murray River from Albury.

Its a lovely area and I enjoyed living there.

If you want any specific info about actually living there, let me know

Edit: LOL...Sorry Mandy, didnt mean to quote you It was for the OP
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there we live in Wangaratta about an hour on the Victoria side of Albury. I will be going there for my teacher training course next year as Albury/ Wodinga is our nearest largish city. Let me know if you need to know anything in particualr about the area and good luck. It is a nice small city (large town really in Uk terms) and has good facilities, living away from the state capitals isn't the scary experience that many people think it is .
All the best and let me know when you are here and fancy a coffee.
You do know that the school year here is Feb to December? so your children will be heading into school mid year (not really a problem as ours did that as well).
Nicky
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Big thanks to Geordie Mandy, HellsBells, Nicky P and Geordie Kaz for their responses. Much appreciated. I haven't heard a bad word about the place. Why has this thread been moved? Took me ages to find it.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Anyone heard of a place called Albury?

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Craig and Pauline

I think it would be worth moving there just for the satisfaction of being able to tell people that you live in a place called "Burrumbuttock".
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Big thanks to Geordie Mandy, HellsBells, Nicky P and Geordie Kaz for their responses. Much appreciated. I haven't heard a bad word about the place. Why has this thread been moved? Took me ages to find it.

Just glad i could help Craig, after all that is what the forum is about helping each other.

by the way if you go to your profile page it will list all the posts you have been on and that way you can always find it
Mandy