Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience traveling through the U.S. to OZ?

Anyone have any experience traveling through the U.S. to OZ?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone have any experience traveling through the U.S. to OZ?

some good deals out there.

looks like I will have to overnight in LA as my flight gets in late. has anyone over nighted in the US on the way to OZ with a one way ticket?

ie. one way ticket to LA then another ticket onto OZ the next day. hope I don't have to stay in a transit lounge till the next day!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Hi,

We flew with Delta from Florida to LA and stayed 3 nights on a one way ticket then we flew with air pacific to Fiji for 3 nights then air pacific to Brisbane again all one way tickets.We thought both airlines were good.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tweenies
Hi,

We flew with Delta from Florida to LA and stayed 3 nights on a one way ticket then we flew with air pacific to Fiji for 3 nights then air pacific to Brisbane again all one way tickets.We thought both airlines were good.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
thanks for the info. thats good news.

Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I found a really cheap one way from Nassau to Miami and then to LA. we preclear US immigration and customs in Nassau. Spirit Air usually pretty good ontime. once at LA I think I will have some time before flight.
We pre-clear US customs & immigration when coming from Toronto, too. You will still have to collect all your bags and go through security and all the other crap again in LA. Do not underestimate how bloody long it takes to do all that stuff. I nearly missed my flight from LA to Sydney and I had 3 hours between flights. First you will have to wait for your bags to be unloaded and go through customs (even though you pre-cleared in Nassau). You have to change terminals from Tom Brady to Terminal 4, and the shuttle bus is a joke. You are quicker to walk. Then you have to check in again and go through security again. Just make sure you have a lot of time between flights. I would say at least 4 hours.

Most of the flights to Australia leave after 10 pm out of LA or SFO, so overnight is ok but you will also have to kill the evening.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
wow cool. thanks. great tip.

I would be using an OZ passport and the visa waiver program. coming from the Bahamas > Miami > LA using a one way ticket on Spirit Air which is cheapest.

I guess it would be just like using a UK passport with the visa waiver in transit.
Remember you have to do the new ESTA thing online as well now when using the Visa Waiver. Have a look here
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:13 am
Just Joined

sonyabreen is an unknown quantity at this point

going to LA for a few weeks in june, does anyone know any where to stay?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We pre-clear US customs & immigration when coming from Toronto, too. You will still have to collect all your bags and go through security and all the other crap again in LA. Do not underestimate how bloody long it takes to do all that stuff. I nearly missed my flight from LA to Sydney and I had 3 hours between flights. First you will have to wait for your bags to be unloaded and go through customs (even though you pre-cleared in Nassau). You have to change terminals from Tom Brady to Terminal 4, and the shuttle bus is a joke. You are quicker to walk. Then you have to check in again and go through security again. Just make sure you have a lot of time between flights. I would say at least 4 hours.

Most of the flights to Australia leave after 10 pm out of LA or SFO, so overnight is ok but you will also have to kill the evening.
actually going to Orlando first and then onto LA so will end up in LA domestic terminal so won't have to clear security. yes maybe in Orlando. but I doubt that. never have to when landing in Fort Lauderdale.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Remember you have to do the new ESTA thing online as well now when using the Visa Waiver. Have a look here

yep just registered yesterday with my UK passport so I can take a trip to Miami next week. had no problems. was very easy to do.