Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience traveling through the U.S. to OZ?

Anyone have any experience traveling through the U.S. to OZ?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Anyone have any experience traveling through the U.S. to OZ?

can you fly in transit on a one-way fare? like to Los Angeles and then onto OZ with Qantas?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have any experience traveling through the U.S. to OZ?

Yes, you can - although I'd recommend Air NZ over Qantas, even though it stops in Auckland for an hour, you get loads more legroom.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:20 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Yes, you can - although I'd recommend Air NZ over Qantas, even though it stops in Auckland for an hour, you get loads more legroom.

I would second that....
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

wow cool. thanks. great tip.

I would be using an OZ passport and the visa waiver program. coming from the Bahamas > Miami > LA using a one way ticket on Spirit Air which is cheapest.

I guess it would be just like using a UK passport with the visa waiver in transit.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Why not make a holiday of it, once your over here it's bloody expensive to fly to the US. I flew into Boston and AmTrak'ed down to N.Y. and across to L.A. stopping at a few cities on the way.
I flew in to Boston with AA, average, and flew from L.A. with QANTAS, who were also average I think that I booked the separate flights with expedier.com and co.uk
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
Why not make a holiday of it, once your over here it's bloody expensive to fly to the US. I flew into Boston and AmTrak'ed down to N.Y. and across to L.A. stopping at a few cities on the way.
I flew in to Boston with AA, average, and flew from L.A. with QANTAS, who were also average I think that I booked the separate flights with expedier.com and co.uk
I've been to NYC,.... Florida (sooooo many times)...did the whole east coast actually and been round LA and seen a bit of San Fransisco. Generally all the US cities look the same unless you get out into the country. Just want to get to OZ and get on with life and work.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
Why not make a holiday of it, once your over here it's bloody expensive to fly to the US.
It used to be, you can get there now for $850 ($905 to New York) including all taxes. Which is comparable to what you would pay in the UK to get to the West Coast.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

We flew from the States to Australia on one way tickets.
We flew from Florida to LA then onto Fiji before flying into Brisbane
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tweenies
We flew from the States to Australia on one way tickets.
We flew from Florida to LA then onto Fiji before flying into Brisbane
cool. which airlines?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

I see NZ air's cheapest flight is $678 from LA to Brisbane. ...return....one way is way more expensive.

even more way more legroom in economy?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I see NZ air's cheapest flight is $678 from LA to Brisbane. ...return....one way is way more expensive.

even more way more legroom in economy?
I'm 5' 11", plenty of room.

http://i38.tinypic.com/vq6uj5.jpg
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
wow cool. thanks. great tip.

I would be using an OZ passport and the visa waiver program. coming from the Bahamas > Miami > LA using a one way ticket on Spirit Air which is cheapest.

I guess it would be just like using a UK passport with the visa waiver in transit.
Just wondering BeachBassist will you have one ticket to take you all the way through to Aus or do you have one to take you to the US and another one to take you through to Aus?

A problem I had the other year when transiting through the US was that I only had a 2 hour connection in JFK which I missed because my inbound plane was late and it took quite a while to go through immigration, customs etc then get back on the plane. I was travelling on one ticket all the way through so the airline put me on the next flight.

If you were flying on two separate tickets probably best to make sure that you leave enough time to go transit the US airport.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Just wondering BeachBassist will you have one ticket to take you all the way through to Aus or do you have one to take you to the US and another one to take you through to Aus?

A problem I had the other year when transiting through the US was that I only had a 2 hour connection in JFK which I missed because my inbound plane was late and it took quite a while to go through immigration, customs etc then get back on the plane. I was travelling on one ticket all the way through so the airline put me on the next flight.

If you were flying on two separate tickets probably best to make sure that you leave enough time to go transit the US airport.

I found a really cheap one way from Nassau to Miami and then to LA. we preclear US immigration and customs in Nassau. Spirit Air usually pretty good ontime. once at LA I think I will have some time before flight.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

I'm 5' 11", plenty of room.

http://i38.tinypic.com/vq6uj5.jpg
I'm 6' 1" and was very uncomfortable on United last time I went LAX to Sydney. I felt like a sardine. plus we had to stop to refuel in Fiji.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be, you can get there now for $850 ($905 to New York) including all taxes. Which is comparable to what you would pay in the UK to get to the West Coast.
Wow, just did a search and 3 of us can fly SYD-LAX return, in July for just under $3000 (frequent flyer points for PER-SYD).

I can feel holiday plans coming on........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.