Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with Tennancy Tribunal NSW?

Anyone have any experience with Tennancy Tribunal NSW?

Old Dec 27th 2009, 4:21 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone have any experience with Tennancy Tribunal NSW?

I wondered if anyone had any experience at dealing with the Tennancy Tribunal in NSW? A couple of weeks ago we rented a holiday place which we found on Stayz, but booked directly with the managing estate agent (L J Hooker). When we arrived on the Sunday, the place was filthy. The carpets were black, the place stunk of mould and damp, the carpet in the childrens bedroom made me retch when I got down there to tuck the kiddies in to bed, the bathrooms were dirty as was the kitchen, the swimming pool was cloudy, the sheets and towels were dirty and smelled damp, and (as if those things weren't enough) when I pulled the duvet back to get in to bed, there were stains and hairs in the bed which had obviously not been changed It was all a bit embarassing since we'd booked it as a surprise for mum in laws 60th birthday as they are visiting from the UK.

Consequently, we went to the agent the following morning and complained, told them that we did not want to stay any longer, and asked if they could firstly refund the part of the tarrif that is built in for professional cleaning (as this quite clearly hadn't been done), and secondly if they would kindly refund four fifths of the sum we had paid (we paid for five nights but only stayed one). The agent could not have cared less, neither could the landlord. They told us that we had been underquoted for the price and that they were not willing to refund any. We had to go to another agent and find somewhere else to stay and are thus significantly out of pocket.

We spoke to the agent a number of times, and they still refused to refund any money. We have been to the Office of Fair Trading, and they have been unable to negotiate a refund too. So they have advised us that we need to go to a Tennancy Tribunal. We have photographic evidence, although it is rather difficult to convey just how bad the smell was.

As far as we are concerned, the fact that we were underquoted by the estate agent, is neither here nor there. We still paid a significant sum of money to the estate agent for five nights accommodation, but were only able to stay for one night. We weren't aware that we had been underquoted and were only told this when we complained.

What is the process that you have to go through, do they take in to account photographic evidence and also do they take your word for it on the smell etc? Any advice or experience would be most appreciated.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:04 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Anyone have any experience with Tennancy Tribunal NSW?

Have you contacted the L J Hooker head office.

This is also something that "Today Tonight" likes to air.

I would also tell Stayz about your experience.

Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:27 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
I wondered if anyone had any experience at dealing with the Tennancy Tribunal in NSW? A couple of weeks ago we rented a holiday place which we found on Stayz, but booked directly with the managing estate agent (L J Hooker). When we arrived on the Sunday, the place was filthy. The carpets were black, the place stunk of mould and damp, the carpet in the childrens bedroom made me retch when I got down there to tuck the kiddies in to bed, the bathrooms were dirty as was the kitchen, the swimming pool was cloudy, the sheets and towels were dirty and smelled damp, and (as if those things weren't enough) when I pulled the duvet back to get in to bed, there were stains and hairs in the bed which had obviously not been changed It was all a bit embarassing since we'd booked it as a surprise for mum in laws 60th birthday as they are visiting from the UK.

Consequently, we went to the agent the following morning and complained, told them that we did not want to stay any longer, and asked if they could firstly refund the part of the tarrif that is built in for professional cleaning (as this quite clearly hadn't been done), and secondly if they would kindly refund four fifths of the sum we had paid (we paid for five nights but only stayed one). The agent could not have cared less, neither could the landlord. They told us that we had been underquoted for the price and that they were not willing to refund any. We had to go to another agent and find somewhere else to stay and are thus significantly out of pocket.

We spoke to the agent a number of times, and they still refused to refund any money. We have been to the Office of Fair Trading, and they have been unable to negotiate a refund too. So they have advised us that we need to go to a Tennancy Tribunal. We have photographic evidence, although it is rather difficult to convey just how bad the smell was.

As far as we are concerned, the fact that we were underquoted by the estate agent, is neither here nor there. We still paid a significant sum of money to the estate agent for five nights accommodation, but were only able to stay for one night. We weren't aware that we had been underquoted and were only told this when we complained.

What is the process that you have to go through, do they take in to account photographic evidence and also do they take your word for it on the smell etc? Any advice or experience would be most appreciated.
I'd take it to Today Tonight as well. In the meantime, make sure you have not only photographic evidence, but independent witnesses who can back you up.
Did you and the estate agent do a condition report? I'm assuming not since the lease terms may not be a residency type.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:58 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that guys. When we went to speak to the estate agent about it, I asked her if she had seen the property and she said that she had and that it was fine. I actually don't believe that she had ever been there. Because it was a holiday let, and because we arrived on a sunday afternoon, we just collected the keys, and by the time we had got there and gone in, the office was closed. We did ask the agent that we sopke to on the monday morning if she would like to come with us and see it, but she refused. The only witnesses we have are myself, hubby and both my hubbys parents. Honestly, the place was absolutely disgusting. The agent said that the landlord had had a glowing report from the people who had left the day that we arrived (strange that ) and since we got home I checked on Stayz, and they have put a new review on there, also very good (apparently the best holiday that they had ever had!).

We took photographs of things like the dirty sheets, towels, mould on the kitchen etc, and also took photos of the general state of the place to illustrate just how awful it was (since we couldn't take a record of how bad the place smelt).

I think that we will contact LJ Hooker head office and let them know that we are going to a tribunal and Today Tonight and that we have photographic evidence and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedude will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

Yes we have had experience but on a long term rental we had for 6 months and we got $40 a week back from the start of our tenancy

You need to go to the Office of Fair Trading who will give you details of your nearest Tenancy Advice Office the staff are normally extremely helpful and all are volunteers so don't loose your rag with them, they are trying to help.

You must document all your evidence and take as many photo's as you can. You must also write down all the conversations, emails etc you have had with LJ Hooker including refusal to come and visit the property, times dates etc. The more info you have to take to tribunal the better the tribunals are normally pretty quick.

Where abouts was the property?

Sorry to hear your start in Australia was not up to scratch but it can only get better. Keep positive and get down the OFT ASAP.

Good luck,

Adele
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:02 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have much to add other than to wish you the best of luck.

If I was in this situation I would do everything possible to get a refund for the unused time, even if in the long run it cost more than the amount lost - just to let them know they can't get away with.

Separate from the tenancy tribunal, is there a small claims court you can take it to?
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

No experience with tenancy tribunal. Just wanted to say good luck. We booked into a holiday place once in Margaret River and the carpets just smelled of damp...the bedrooms had a bad musty smell...even though the kitchen and other areas were liveable. But it still affects your holiday and if you're paying for a place, you expect it to be as clean as possible...

LJ Hooker...sigh...we have them as agents for our regular rental here. Their reps said our house was in "clean and excellent condition," but I spent two weeks cleaning after we moved in. Dead insects in the kitchen. Oven full of burnt on food. Filthy blinds. Thick layer of grease on the cabinets. I took photos and logged everything into the inspection report.

I'd make sure you post a review on Stayz too. I hope the agents can't delete bad reviews. Let others know that the place was awful.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that is disgusting. I am really sorry to hear about your experience. Definitely contact Stayz about it. I advertise through Stayz and it is people like you dealt with who completely make people mistrust short term let providers. I hope you have some luck getting your money back.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:34 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

Thanks once again for the replies.

I have tried to leave a bad review on Stayz, but (surprise, surprise) it hasn't been displayed on the properties page. I have also tried to find where to complain to Stayz - can't find it on their website. I would be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Hubs and I are just thinking of booking another holiday rental through Stayz. Really hoping we pick a good one this time. It is to celebrate our 1 year in Australia, our youngests 2nd birthday, my 35th (sshh, don't tell!) and will also be our first 'family holiday' that hasn't involved visiting Australia for research purposes.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks once again for the replies.

I have tried to leave a bad review on Stayz, but (surprise, surprise) it hasn't been displayed on the properties page. I have also tried to find where to complain to Stayz - can't find it on their website. I would be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Hubs and I are just thinking of booking another holiday rental through Stayz. Really hoping we pick a good one this time. It is to celebrate our 1 year in Australia, our youngests 2nd birthday, my 35th (sshh, don't tell!) and will also be our first 'family holiday' that hasn't involved visiting Australia for research purposes.
No, it won't get displayed - owners get to choose what reveiws they post. I will see if I can find an email contact for you and get back to you.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Dec 31st 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rudi
No, it won't get displayed - owners get to choose what reveiws they post. I will see if I can find an email contact for you and get back to you.

Love

Rudi
x

"If you require any assistance, contact our Customer Support team at [email protected] or call 1300 550 251."

Love

Rudi
x
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi

Love

Rudi
x
That's really lousy and basically false advertising. Some place could get a hundred bad reviews and one good one and the owner posts just the good review...and others make their bookings based on that. Terrible.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:46 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

Or possibly put their own review on there? Don't know if that is possible? When we got back from the holiday, I looked on Stayz and there was a new review on there stating that

"We booked this cottage for a long weekend to celebrate my birthday. We had the best weekend! The cottage was clean, spacious and had great facilities. The Spa and pool were well used throughout the weekend and the champers was welcome after the journey down from Sydney! Great place to stay, and would recommend it to anyone! " Anonymous, December 2009.

Strangely, we had booked the place for a birthday, had driven down from Sydney where we live and found it to be neither clean, spacious nor with great facilities. We couldn't use the pool and didn't stay there more than one night. We wouldn't recommend it to anyone! Seemed strange that that review appeared after we had complained, and from an anonymous source !