Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience in

Anyone have any experience in

Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone have any experience in

The Adelaide Hills?

Seems more affordable - however, conscious SA has high unemployment vs rest of Aust.

Just wondered if anyone had lived there (or is currently there).

Looks like a beautiful area.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 10:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have any experience in

Originally Posted by Still Game
The Adelaide Hills?

Seems more affordable - however, conscious SA has high unemployment vs rest of Aust.

Just wondered if anyone had lived there (or is currently there).

Looks like a beautiful area.
Try Rasen78, think she still pops in
Old Aug 30th 2016, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Try Rasen78, think she still pops in
Thanks will do x
Old Aug 31st 2016, 12:09 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks will do x
I'm up the Barossa but have friends in the Hills in different parts. Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

From a work point of view, there is still work around but ASC let people go recently and Holden's is obviously winding down to closure next year which will have an impact.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm up the Barossa but have friends in the Hills in different parts. Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

From a work point of view, there is still work around but ASC let people go recently and Holden's is obviously winding down to closure next year which will have an impact.
Hi old.sparkles, nothing specific, just wondered if the Hills were a nice place. Albeit it I'm sure it's a large area so probably good and bad. It's a place we're considering, still undecided however. There seems to be quite a bit going for Adelaide, however, have heard the employment situation is worse/tougher than Perth. Housing seems much more affordable in Adelaide however.

Although I haven't joined, have been reading threads on other forums. Some say Adelaide is great, although slower pace of life. Some say it's full of druggies, hoons and only good if you're retirement age. Would appreciate an honest portray from someone who lives there.

We wouldn't be looking for work in the mechanical/naval (think that's ASC?) fields, although I understand that would mean more people looking for work in other areas.

It's tough to know where to move to.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 11:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi old.sparkles, nothing specific, just wondered if the Hills were a nice place. Albeit it I'm sure it's a large area so probably good and bad. It's a place we're considering, still undecided however. There seems to be quite a bit going for Adelaide, however, have heard the employment situation is worse/tougher than Perth. Housing seems much more affordable in Adelaide however.

Although I haven't joined, have been reading threads on other forums. Some say Adelaide is great, although slower pace of life. Some say it's full of druggies, hoons and only good if you're retirement age. Would appreciate an honest portray from someone who lives there.

We wouldn't be looking for work in the mechanical/naval (think that's ASC?) fields, although I understand that would mean more people looking for work in other areas.

It's tough to know where to move to.
Where we are we don't really have any issues with druggies or hoons, but it is a quieter way of life for sure. It is also more affordable, and was one of the reasons I chose this state.

There are some areas to avoid, but don't think any of those would be hills areas. And for most areas, there will be local towns if you don't want to go into the city or inner suburbs for shopping, etc. We're in Gawler and have a good selection of general shops (and about to get an Aldi's ) as well as pubs, cafes, etc but if we want to go into the city, we have train access rather than driving if needed. Driving would be quicker as the train is around an hour, but only by a little bit and with the train, there's no hassle with parking. Downside is that from here, the train does go through some of the not so desirable areas but I've never had any problems on the train.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 11:25 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - only just seen this

We're in the southern foothills which is much more affordable. The Hills themselves vary in affordability, depending on where you are. Stirling, Hahndorf, Crafers, and pretty much anything within approx 30 mins of the CBD are expensive (by Adelaide standards) The further along the M1 you go towards Mt Barker it gets cheaper, but again, there are pockets of higher prices such as Oakwood (home of the racecourse).

Stirling is beautiful, and if I had the money, would definitely think about moving there, preferably with some acreage. You could just about get a 3 bed place from $5-600,000, but it wouldn't be up to much - for a nice 3 bedder, you would probably be looking over $600k. 4 beds would be int he high 000ks - $1m. Hahndorf is nice, but very much a tourist trap.

I love the Hills. Beautiful scenery, great driving and interesting places to visit, not to mention the wineries and food places. But the Hills do cover a large area. Where we are, in the Southern foothills, property is more affordable, but we are still well located for the CBD (about 30-40 mins driving), the beach (10 mins) and right on the edge of the country, so walking distance to the nearest conservation park with some fabulous trails and sites.

We have been here 4 years and have never seen problems with drugs, but we don't venture into the city much (well, ROMFT does work there, but he's oblivious most of the time ) There are hoons, but they seem to be everywhere, and TBH they aren't too problematic.

Workwise, we have been lucky in that ROMFT already had a job, and I got one very quickly. Yes, work has slowed down, however, there are growth areas, retirement living being one of them (which I work in), and there should be jobs created with the new submarines being built.

There is also talk of more infrastructure such as tram extensions, and the all new RAH, when it finally opens next year, may bring more opportunities.

We like Adelaide as it doesn't feel like a city. It is quieter than many cities, but that suits us. Yes, it may not be for everyone, but we're not city dwellers. But we are able to see the cricket at the oval and have seen more concerts in the 4 years we have been here, than we did in the UK (seeing Guns n Roses next year), we go to the basketball and soccer, there is baseball, netball, ice-hockey, AFL, rugby and much more if you want to see it. The Museum of SA is free, as is the gallery. North Terrace is lovely to walk along, with lots of points of interest and the Botanic gardens. The big annual draws are the Tour Down Under, the V8 supercars and if you are into horses, the 3 day eventing is in November/December. Horse racing is very popular with the Morphettville race track and the Oakwood races. And not forgetting the Adelaide Fringe

Lots of food and wine festivals throughout the year which go from the Clare Valley in the north, all the way down to Kangaroo Island.

Just let me know if you want any more information.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rasen78
Hi - only just seen this

We're in the southern foothills which is much more affordable. The Hills themselves vary in affordability, depending on where you are. Stirling, Hahndorf, Crafers, and pretty much anything within approx 30 mins of the CBD are expensive (by Adelaide standards) The further along the M1 you go towards Mt Barker it gets cheaper, but again, there are pockets of higher prices such as Oakwood (home of the racecourse).

Stirling is beautiful, and if I had the money, would definitely think about moving there, preferably with some acreage. You could just about get a 3 bed place from $5-600,000, but it wouldn't be up to much - for a nice 3 bedder, you would probably be looking over $600k. 4 beds would be int he high 000ks - $1m. Hahndorf is nice, but very much a tourist trap.

I love the Hills. Beautiful scenery, great driving and interesting places to visit, not to mention the wineries and food places. But the Hills do cover a large area. Where we are, in the Southern foothills, property is more affordable, but we are still well located for the CBD (about 30-40 mins driving), the beach (10 mins) and right on the edge of the country, so walking distance to the nearest conservation park with some fabulous trails and sites.

We have been here 4 years and have never seen problems with drugs, but we don't venture into the city much (well, ROMFT does work there, but he's oblivious most of the time ) There are hoons, but they seem to be everywhere, and TBH they aren't too problematic.

Workwise, we have been lucky in that ROMFT already had a job, and I got one very quickly. Yes, work has slowed down, however, there are growth areas, retirement living being one of them (which I work in), and there should be jobs created with the new submarines being built.

There is also talk of more infrastructure such as tram extensions, and the all new RAH, when it finally opens next year, may bring more opportunities.

We like Adelaide as it doesn't feel like a city. It is quieter than many cities, but that suits us. Yes, it may not be for everyone, but we're not city dwellers. But we are able to see the cricket at the oval and have seen more concerts in the 4 years we have been here, than we did in the UK (seeing Guns n Roses next year), we go to the basketball and soccer, there is baseball, netball, ice-hockey, AFL, rugby and much more if you want to see it. The Museum of SA is free, as is the gallery. North Terrace is lovely to walk along, with lots of points of interest and the Botanic gardens. The big annual draws are the Tour Down Under, the V8 supercars and if you are into horses, the 3 day eventing is in November/December. Horse racing is very popular with the Morphettville race track and the Oakwood races. And not forgetting the Adelaide Fringe

Lots of food and wine festivals throughout the year which go from the Clare Valley in the north, all the way down to Kangaroo Island.

Just let me know if you want any more information.
Many thanks Rasen, really informative and helpful! I'm fairly sure I'll have loads more questions as I go along so thanks for the offer to provide more info.

In fact, a question already, what is Bridgewater like?