Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone had their boosters done b4 they left UK.

Anyone had their boosters done b4 they left UK.

Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:09 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Question Anyone had their boosters done b4 they left UK.

Hi
I was just wondering whether anyone had their boosters done before they left the UK. I know my Tetanus is out of date and needs doing, not sure how often I need polio booster though. I had my last polio booster in 1992. Not even sure why doc made me have it as I don't know anyone else who had polio drops as an adult.
Any help gratefully received, many thanks
Sarah
Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone had their boosters done b4 they left UK.

Def get the tetanus done. Must do mine. Don't know about the polio though . Bound to be a nurse along soon
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:42 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Def get the tetanus done. Must do mine. Don't know about the polio though . Bound to be a nurse along soon
Cheers for that moneypen20.
Sarah
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:23 pm
Going to Perth late 2005

timk is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Anyone had their boosters done b4 they left UK.

Originally Posted by teach
Hi
I was just wondering whether anyone had their boosters done before they left the UK. I know my Tetanus is out of date and needs doing, not sure how often I need polio booster though. I had my last polio booster in 1992. Not even sure why doc made me have it as I don't know anyone else who had polio drops as an adult.
Sarah

When I saw your thread title, I thought you were referring to slang for breast implants.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Sarah
Tetanus boosters should be every 10 years.
Current thinking is that if you have had 5 tetanus jabs in your life (ie 3 initial and 2 boosters) then you do not need any more unless you have an injury which would ordinarily need a tetanus jab.

Basically no more routine boosters are need after you have had 5 in total.

G
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

Hi
Sarah
I went to Morocco last year so had some vaccinations 'just in case'.
One was Polio in the form of drops on a sugar lump which will last for 10 years. Also had a Tetanus + Low-dose Diptheria injection which will also last for 10 years. I went to my doctors and got them for free.

You should be able to join Medicare when in oz to receive free medical treatment, so don't worry if you don't get around to getting your boosters before you go!
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:20 pm
Loving it in Bundy

Originally Posted by Grayling
Current thinking is that if you have had 5 tetanus jabs in your life (ie 3 initial and 2 boosters) then you do not need any more unless you have an injury which would ordinarily need a tetanus jab.

G
Hi G,
Oh I have definitely had more than 5. I spent more time at casualty as a kid than all the kids in my street put together. I never broke a bone though, only ever cut myself, :scared:
Thanks for the info.
Sarah
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:21 pm
Loving it in Bundy

Originally Posted by timk
When I saw your thread title, I thought you were referring to slang for breast implants.
Nice one, . Glad to say I don't need those yet.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:22 pm
Loving it in Bundy

Originally Posted by Briz-chick
I went to Morocco last year so had some vaccinations 'just in case'.
One was Polio in the form of drops on a sugar lump which will last for 10 years. Also had a Tetanus + Low-dose Diptheria injection which will also last for 10 years. I went to my doctors and got them for free.

You should be able to join Medicare when in oz to receive free medical treatment, so don't worry if you don't get around to getting your boosters before you go!
Many thanks, Briz-chick. You lucky, lucky thing you, my last polio booster was not allowed to be given on a sugar lump it was very nasty drops on the tongue. Will go to quack this week to see if I can get them done out of the way.
Sarah
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:38 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Many thanks, Briz-chick. You lucky, lucky thing you, my last polio booster was not allowed to be given on a sugar lump it was very nasty drops on the tongue. Will go to quack this week to see if I can get them done out of the way.
Sarah
Technically you don't need the Polio unless you are going to an area of high risk and it is reccommended. As for Tetanus you will get one in Australia between 15-17 yrs and then at over 50 years of age. If you had a primary course of 3 doses as an adult then you only need a booster at 10 and 20 years post the last dose. If you get an inkury it will be assessed at the time as to what you need. You need to get a clear copy of this from the GP as well as other vaccinations for when you come over as it makes life alot easier when you are the person drawing up the vaccine!!
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:44 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Thats what my doc said to me, I couldn't rememeber if I had the right amount or 1 less so I had it anyway, it did include another vaccination in it as well, something about them doing it a new may, something along the line of hepatitus or something similar, can't remember, something tropical sounding anyway.
If you have anything that needs doing get it done, dentists any last minute ops you fancy (the snip) etc as for women there is a long waiting list here to have it done, so if you ever felt like such things now might be the time.
Its amazing how quick the NHS can be sometimes.

Jenny