Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone had knee cartilage transplant?

Anyone had knee cartilage transplant?

Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

pinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant future
Default Anyone had knee cartilage transplant?

After several ops to try and tidy up damage to my knee (two holes in the cartilage) am having a further op in a fortnight to put back cartilage that was taken out during last op, after it has been tweaked in a lab in Denmark.(God bless the NHS)

Doctors have told me to expect 6 weeks in a splint or cast of some description after op,then a lengthy period of rehab.All ops up to this point have been keyhole, the next one will be a zip up the middle of the knee. Have had longer sat on arse after fractures but it may well be this brings forward retirement from current job(PLod) and move to OZ.

So questions, anyone had similar and what have the recovery times and rate been like for you?Is this procedure available in Oz should it need a revisit? What level of function do you now have?
What would this cost in Oz?