Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone had any leads in Railway/Signalling avenue?

Anyone had any leads in Railway/Signalling avenue?

Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Absnmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Anyone had any leads in Railway/Signalling avenue?

Hi all, have been a member for a while but havent been on in a bit!

M OH now an Installer for London Underground...made a few contacts but nothing with any substance...any advice guidance god anything !!!

Thx in advance all !!

Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone had any leads in Railway/Signalling avenue?

I knew someone who worked on the engineering side of railways in Victoria. He said the signalling people viewed themselves as a cut above the rest, freemasonry was rife and was pretty much a closed shop/invitation only as far as recruitment went. Having said that I understand that QR are recuiting at the moment in signalling.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bjddavies
I knew someone who worked on the engineering side of railways in Victoria. He said the signalling people viewed themselves as a cut above the rest, freemasonry was rife and was pretty much a closed shop/invitation only as far as recruitment went. Having said that I understand that QR are recuiting at the moment in signalling.
Many thx for reply.

My OH is the other end of the scale - very nervous that he wont get anything, good at what he does but underestimates himself - so im pleased to say that he wouldnt be with those who thought themselves to be 'special '!!

Thx again
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard that this guy occasionally has openings.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone had any leads in Railway/Signalling avenue?-fat-controller.jpg  
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:34 am
Just Joined

heidishiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Shame he's not a tester. A number of jobs may be coming up in WA soon.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Anyone had any leads in Railway/Signalling avenue?

Hey - thx fr fat controller lead.....

He does testing but im not sure if he has the tester licence - is it just testing work in WA?

thx
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

heidishiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are talking about an IRSE licence, he doesn't need one in WA. And, depite what others may tell you, he doesn't need an electricians licence for testing but he will for installation.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

West Sussex Si is an unknown quantity at this point

try http://www.railpersonnel.com/jobs/pr...h.asp?region=7

I got my job through these guys, I leave for Perth this Friday !!!

In my experience you get paid more as a Tester as you'll be away from home quite a lot. With maintenance the money tends to be a bit less but at least you wont be expected to do loads of travelling.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

sorry, havent been on here for a tad. Can you give a few more details, I work in rail in nsw, there are ALOT of opps at the moment...if you have rail experience you are always certain to find some work...
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

simmoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked on the Railway in the UK for 15 years as a Project Engineer/Manager before moving to Oz in late 2005...I nearly had my arms torn off by prospective employers offering me jobs...I would be confident in saying that you will have no problem getting a job with signalling experience.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:45 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

check out www.artc.com.au
They are responsible for the freight network in SA, NSW and parts of WA and QLD.
There are also plenty of opportunities to work direct for some of the major signalling contractors who have significant work on in many parts fo the country.

good luck
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Anyone had any leads in Railway/Signalling avenue?

Originally Posted by sharonm5
sorry, havent been on here for a tad. Can you give a few more details, I work in rail in nsw, there are ALOT of opps at the moment...if you have rail experience you are always certain to find some work...
Hi sharon, his exact job title here in the UK is 'MDT Installer' he works out of a signals and electricals dept on the london underground and has been doing this for near on 5 years. The work that i keep coming accross on job websites are for engineers/managers and he isnt either thats why i posted this thread on here.....please let me know what other info you need to know.

Aside from the railway he is a qualified PADI Master Scuba Instructor
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simmoman
I worked on the Railway in the UK for 15 years as a Project Engineer/Manager before moving to Oz in late 2005...I nearly had my arms torn off by prospective employers offering me jobs...I would be confident in saying that you will have no problem getting a job with signalling experience.
hiya thx for reply - posted this thread....all job ads that i have seen have been for both of these roles..he is an MDT Installer (job title here) and its hard finding the alternative in Oz.

regards
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stevemich
check out www.artc.com.au
They are responsible for the freight network in SA, NSW and parts of WA and QLD.
There are also plenty of opportunities to work direct for some of the major signalling contractors who have significant work on in many parts fo the country.

good luck
many thanks for info much apreciated

ive had a look on th site you linked e to and there arent any at the mo for signaling Installers or similar but will keep checking and big signalling contractors ? Are you able to pass on any names at all? Google searching can be a black hole sometimes......thx in advance
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:57 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Absnmark
many thanks for info much apreciated

ive had a look on th site you linked e to and there arent any at the mo for signaling Installers or similar but will keep checking and big signalling contractors ? Are you able to pass on any names at all? Google searching can be a black hole sometimes......thx in advance
I sent you a PM, but you may also want to check out www.railcareers.net.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.