Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone had aircon fitted?

Anyone had aircon fitted?

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:46 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone had aircon fitted?

Has anyone had aircon fitted while living in their house/rental in Oz?

Our landlord is having aircon installed on Tuesday, and I just wondered roughly how many holes in the ceiling they make? We're in a 4 x 2 with a large family/dining area. They're fitting the system that cools and heats. (You can tell aircon isn't my thing, can't you? ) We've been warned to expect a fair amount of dust but told that they'll clean up behind them....

Any thoughts?

Sue
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:30 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone had aircon fitted?

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Has anyone had aircon fitted while living in their house/rental in Oz?

Our landlord is having aircon installed on Tuesday, and I just wondered roughly how many holes in the ceiling they make? We're in a 4 x 2 with a large family/dining area. They're fitting the system that cools and heats. (You can tell aircon isn't my thing, can't you? ) We've been warned to expect a fair amount of dust but told that they'll clean up behind them....

Any thoughts?

Sue
It all very much depends on firstly whether its ducted or split units or single units.

Assuming its split units, then it depends on whether they are taking the piping straight out through the wall, or are going up into the ceiling, and then out the wall.

We've just had aircon units installed in our new place, and they drain directly out through the wall, but the connections to the outside cooling units goes via the roofspace.

So in non aircon lingo... two holes per aircon unit. Each hole about the size of a fist. So no, not much dust.

Theres a few aircon experts on this forum, they'll probably correct me
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Anyone had aircon fitted?

If it is a single split wall mount system, you would normally have a hole at the back of the wall mounted unit (if it is an external wall!!!) and all your pipe works, condensate drain, and power/communication cables will go through this hole. If it is mounted on an internal wall, all the above would normally be in a form of "trunking" to a point where it will exit the room. eg; the ceiling or an external wall. If you get a good installation team, they will use a "hoover" to vacuum any dust/debri as they drill any holes.
If you can wait another year, I'll come and install it for you.LOL
Old Nov 27th 2005, 12:39 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, gentlemen - and thank you for your replies - I don't know what sort of system it is, short of knowing that it heats as well as cooling. I know the woman who phoned to arrange it told me that we're very lucky as the landlord has ordered the best one available, but that means diddly to me. (Although if it is the best available, I'm eternally grateful as I'm well into my comfort zone with this heat! ) I think she also said they would be *zoning in the roof* - whatever this means....?

Are you able to tell me whether they put outlets in the bedrooms, or do they just stick to living areas? Only ask because I have one bedroom that is behaving a bit like a junk room right now - mostly dd's toys and we still aren't straight - if they need to go in to work I need to get tidying in a hurry.

'Spose I could just wait until Tuesday to find out, but as they're coming at about 8:00 a.m., I need to be forewarned, as it were. Got Telstra coming in on Friday to put the foxtel in, so there are going to be lots of blokes here this week sticking wires and cables everywhere.....
Got a maintenance man coming about my knobs on Saturday too....they've corroded.... :scared:
Sue
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light

Hard to say, unless you know what system is going in. Keep your temp. set at 21 deg.c and you will be very comfy...... Might be worth pilling up all your stuff to one wall, so engineers can get in if required.
Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Sorry, gentlemen - and thank you for your replies - I don't know what sort of system it is, short of knowing that it heats as well as cooling. I know the woman who phoned to arrange it told me that we're very lucky as the landlord has ordered the best one available, but that means diddly to me. (Although if it is the best available, I'm eternally grateful as I'm well into my comfort zone with this heat! ) I think she also said they would be *zoning in the roof* - whatever this means....?

Are you able to tell me whether they put outlets in the bedrooms, or do they just stick to living areas? Only ask because I have one bedroom that is behaving a bit like a junk room right now - mostly dd's toys and we still aren't straight - if they need to go in to work I need to get tidying in a hurry.

'Spose I could just wait until Tuesday to find out, but as they're coming at about 8:00 a.m., I need to be forewarned, as it were. Got Telstra coming in on Friday to put the foxtel in, so there are going to be lots of blokes here this week sticking wires and cables everywhere.....
Got a maintenance man coming about my knobs on Saturday too....they've corroded.... :scared:
Sue