Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone got woodworm stories!

anyone got woodworm stories!

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Manda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone got woodworm stories!

Hi, probably a strange one this, but here goes!!
We are looking at shipping out some furniture, and one or two pieces have HAD woodworm. They are sound now, but still have the holes. We have heard stories from possible shippers that stuff may be fumigated, treated or destroyed at our expense if customs spot it, but no-one seems able to give us any idea what the treatment would cost. These are sentimental items, not really any value, but we would like to bring them, as they have always been part of my home. Has anyone out there had this problem?
Manda
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:12 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone got woodworm stories!

Originally Posted by Manda
Hi, probably a strange one this, but here goes!!
We are looking at shipping out some furniture, and one or two pieces have HAD woodworm. They are sound now, but still have the holes. We have heard stories from possible shippers that stuff may be fumigated, treated or destroyed at our expense if customs spot it, but no-one seems able to give us any idea what the treatment would cost. These are sentimental items, not really any value, but we would like to bring them, as they have always been part of my home. Has anyone out there had this problem?
Manda
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...00060B0AA00014
check out this web site for more imformation...............mm
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Manda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mr Mover. I have just had a guy round to quote for shipping, and he suggested I would be best getting the items treated here and take them with a certificate. On the link that you sent there are UK contacts for gamma radiation, but not for fumigation which I assume is the bromide thing. Having said that, the cost of fumigation may only be $300-$500 for a part containerif done in Oz according to my removals man, with AQIS charging a further $175.00 for inspection. Can't help but think that if they are done in Oz they will be done to the correct standards.
Am I on the right track do you think?
Manda
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mr Mover. I have just had a guy round to quote for shipping, and he suggested I would be best getting the items treated here and take them with a certificate. On the link that you sent there are UK contacts for gamma radiation, but not for fumigation which I assume is the bromide thing. Having said that, the cost of fumigation may only be $300-$500 for a part containerif done in Oz according to my removals man, with AQIS charging a further $175.00 for inspection. Can't help but think that if they are done in Oz they will be done to the correct standards.
Manda
Hi,
I am in eactly the same process, have two victorian bits of furniture one with old woodworm. I emailed AQIS and they sent me this link and suggested i get them treated here, there are five allowed treatements, two of which appear to be prohibited in Europe, two need licensed places that aer costly and one which is using a preservative treatment is cheapest but there are different active compounds and i am waiting for AQUIS to mail me which is ok..

the link is
http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex...sionID=2287022

If you PM me i will forward you the email i was sent by AQIS.. if you get any info i woiuld also appreciate if you pass it on..

Cheers

Chris
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Manda
Most of our 20' container was filled with old English/European pine. I was very concerned that we would have to pay for fumigation at this end. Spent some time looking into getting it treated in the UK (despite the fact it has been done when originally restored - really just to get paperwork to satisfy AQIS here) but in end decided not to go ahead with it because couldn't get a straight answer out of AQIS as to whether or not they would accept the UK paperwork. Took risk that we would get it done at this end. In the end it all got thru. Someone told me they will look for evidence of "active" woodworm. I really think it is a case of luck. I don't think they even looked at our furniture much but instead focused on gardening equipment and Christmas decorations, which we had been told about. In haste, I had forgotten about a nativity set so they confiscated that and charged us $80(?) for the privilege.

HTH