Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a pool?

Anyone got a pool?

Old Jun 21st 2006, 10:25 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone got a pool?

Originally Posted by wargod
Is that a salt water or a chlorine jobby?

Not that i'd know the difference if it hit me between the eyes!
Salt water ones are much easier to maintain and are better if you have skin problems (eczema) or asthma as inhaling the fumes in a chlorine jobby is not fantastic.

I speak from experience as our first house had a chlorine pool and was changed to salt-water and the difference was amazing, it was always clear and inviting and the kids didn't get a rash if they didn't shower straight away.

Our current pool is salt water and we never do anything to it, pool guy just comes bi-weekly to do whatever is included in the rent payment!

LJJ
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Do I assume the maintenance would be more time consuming if you have a lot of bushland and trees on your land? I'd love to know if pools are generally quite hard work and time consuming. We are considering putting in a spa instead.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 2:02 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

It doesn't take any of our time up, look at the piccie we are not surrounded by bush but you can see we have plenty of trees around.
Everything is on a timer. We only have a pool guy as he is included in the rent. Friends do their maintenece themselves and as long as you have a good pool and filter you are fine.

Well worth the money for our family as we are in it most of the Spring - Autumn.

LJJ
Attached Thumbnails Anyone got a pool?-pool-surround.jpg  
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
It doesn't take any of our time up, look at the piccie we are not surrounded by bush but you can see we have plenty of trees around.
Everything is on a timer. We only have a pool guy as he is included in the rent. Friends do their maintenece themselves and as long as you have a good pool and filter you are fine.

Well worth the money for our family as we are in it most of the Spring - Autumn.

LJJ
Looks lovely. I like the fact you have a *garden* and not a new built bare patch.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

We have just ordered a fiberglass pool 4.2 mtrs x 7.5 mtrs for a cost of $18,490 this includes:

A pool cleaner barracuda ( worth $650)

A colour changing led light (6 different colors) ( worth $350)

Self cleaning chlorinator thing !! ( worth $350)

Shimmer colour finish (worth $600)

On top of this we payed $250 for solar provision ( in case we decide to have it heated later)

The company we got it from do cheaper pool which is 6.5 mtrs x 3.5 mtrs in a kidney shape for $15,790 with the same inclusions
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:24 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sunbather
Looks lovely. I like the fact you have a *garden* and not a new built bare patch.
Thats because it's an 'established suburb' rather than a new estate. I remember my mum expecting Australia to be like a desert she loved the fact that you could see trees all around and so many flowers.
Thats why they call Victoria the Garden State! I like the grapes that grow here best

LJJ
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:14 am
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tabby
We have just ordered a fiberglass pool 4.2 mtrs x 7.5 mtrs for a cost of $18,490 this includes:

A pool cleaner barracuda ( worth $650)

A colour changing led light (6 different colors) ( worth $350)

Self cleaning chlorinator thing !! ( worth $350)

Shimmer colour finish (worth $600)

On top of this we payed $250 for solar provision ( in case we decide to have it heated later)

The company we got it from do cheaper pool which is 6.5 mtrs x 3.5 mtrs in a kidney shape for $15,790 with the same inclusions
Hi Tabby

This sounds a good deal. Do you have a link to a website or name of the company?

Ali X
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi Tabby

This sounds a good deal. Do you have a link to a website or name of the company?

Ali X
Hi Ali,

Here is their web address :

http://www.poolwarehouse.net.au/

We can't wait !!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We have 3, 1 chlorine and 2 salt - water quality is fine in all of them, the chlorine one you need to add chlorine daily in the height of summer which can be a pain, the salt ones just see to themselves.

We put one in ourselves (chlorine above ground but fully sunk) and although it's pretty big, with all the hassle and stress, we should have just gone for a fibreglass one with a company. It did work out cheaper and I am really pleased with the result and think, yeah we did that but I almost crumbled under the whole experience. Saying that time and money weren't on our side and if I did it again then I would be a bit wiser.

Diane
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:40 am
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tabby
Hi Ali,

Here is their web address :

http://www.poolwarehouse.net.au/

We can't wait !!

Looks fab, spoilt for choice! Many thanks.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We are coming to the end of our pool build - you can see it up to a couple of weeks ago on our blog under my signature. Will be updating in a week or so when it is finished but without the concrete slab surround.

It's 10m x 4m concrete and everything we have done so far - us doing most of the landscaping - retaining walls etc we are up to $44,000 :scared: shit I wish I hadn't just checked that Anyway it will be $50 at the end.

It is a salt water one (rainwater one at the mo) because they are the best for skin, maintenance etc. Always get a cartridge filter, not a sand one. We are on acreage on quite a slope which is why we have so much landscaping to do. The actual pool came in at $24,000. Have been really pleased with the company and the work done so far.

Water needs checking every few weeks at the local pool shop and not a lot else needs doing. There will be a fair amount of leaves falling in, but the tree that will cause the most annoyance is the one the family of five kookaburras sit in and chat to us, so weighing up the pros and cons at the moment We have had the solar pipes put in for the future, but probably won't do that until next autumn. When it's finished, we will make do with a net thing to take the leaves out, see how we go and then in August/September when the pool shops have their bargains see if we need a barracuda thing.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:01 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We are coming to the end of our pool build - you can see it up to a couple of weeks ago on our blog under my signature. Will be updating in a week or so when it is finished but without the concrete slab surround.

It's 10m x 4m concrete and everything we have done so far - us doing most of the landscaping - retaining walls etc we are up to $44,000 :scared: shit I wish I hadn't just checked that Anyway it will be $50 at the end.

It is a salt water one (rainwater one at the mo) because they are the best for skin, maintenance etc. Always get a cartridge filter, not a sand one. We are on acreage on quite a slope which is why we have so much landscaping to do. The actual pool came in at $24,000. Have been really pleased with the company and the work done so far.

Water needs checking every few weeks at the local pool shop and not a lot else needs doing. There will be a fair amount of leaves falling in, but the tree that will cause the most annoyance is the one the family of five kookaburras sit in and chat to us, so weighing up the pros and cons at the moment We have had the solar pipes put in for the future, but probably won't do that until next autumn. When it's finished, we will make do with a net thing to take the leaves out, see how we go and then in August/September when the pool shops have their bargains see if we need a barracuda thing.
I presume the other $20000 is for the hole to be dug, landscaped, fenced etc?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Looks fab, spoilt for choice! Many thanks.
Also forgot to mention on the pool we are having the heating (which also cools a little the summer) is $3100 and for the cheaper pool is $2600 both have 10% discount at the mo also
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
I presume the other $20000 is for the hole to be dug, landscaped, fenced etc?
Not for the digging - that was in the pool quote but yes for the rest. We had to build up the pad a lot before they could come in and dig it out again otherwise we would have to have had a lot more expense. The fence has come in at $5,500. There are two retaining walls of about 15 - 20 metres each and about 1.5 metres high the paving slabs for around the pool I paid for today - $2k + but it is 65 square metres to cover and we got it cheapish because it is year end and they are clearing their stock.

We had the space so went for the biggest we could manage but we got the house for a good price so although it's a lot of money, for what we have in the end, we think it's worth it.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:20 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not for the digging - that was in the pool quote but yes for the rest. We had to build up the pad a lot before they could come in and dig it out again otherwise we would have to have had a lot more expense. The fence has come in at $5,500. There are two retaining walls of about 15 - 20 metres each and about 1.5 metres high the paving slabs for around the pool I paid for today - $2k + but it is 65 square metres to cover and we got it cheapish because it is year end and they are clearing their stock.

We had the space so went for the biggest we could manage but we got the house for a good price so although it's a lot of money, for what we have in the end, we think it's worth it.
Ta - there goes the budget (again) !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.