Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got it, but still got 6 months to go?

Anyone got it, but still got 6 months to go?

Old Jun 19th 2004, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Anyone got it, but still got 6 months to go?

I have had my visa since last year but because of personal circumstances havent been able to leave. In many ways it never felt real.

We had to enter the country before the end of April so we took a validation trip in April. Had am amaxing time - loved it!!! Ended up buying a house which completed last week.

I am now SOOOO ready to move out but again for personal reasons I sort of have to wait until Jan 05. My question is, are you in a similar position and are you going as loopy as I am?? I am spending 3 hours + a day on this newsgroup. I am already wanting to pack up boxes - yet there is over 6 months to go!!

I am going mad!!!

Dave
Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

We got our visas last spring, we're finally off to Perth in October so I know how you feel.
The worst bit is feeling your life is on hold, can't book a holiday, buy a car, make plans to do anything.
On the plus side the whole moving part is a lot less stressful, you can take time to plan and organise everything.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 8:12 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone got it, but still got 6 months to go?

Poor you, but at least you have a house for when you get out there. I'm leaving 6 weeks after I got my visa, but that'll be 5 months since I last saw my boyfriend, so I'm going pretty loopy about that at the moment!!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 9:36 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya darkless,
I'm lookling at validating before September (flights look expensive for July / Aaugust )

Now the bad news is that I don't think we will be going for another 4 years:scared: :scared:

I know what you are on about when you say you are going MAD:scared:

Oh well only anoter 3 years and a few hundred day's!

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 20th 2004, 11:03 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by markeh
I'm lookling at validating before September.

Now the bad news is that I don't think we will be going for another 4 years:scared: :scared:
You know you'll probably have to re-apply eventually in that case? It works like this: your visa is valid for entry to Oz for 5 years from the award date (presumably in the past couple of months?) After that point you can stay in Oz indefinitely but if you leave then you can't get back in. Normally the next step is either to re-apply or to get citizenship, but in your case you won't be able to satisfy the residence requirements for citizenship (something like a total of 2 years in the past 5), so if you want to be able to continue to leave and re-enter Oz then I think re-application is the only option. I have no idea if this is subject to the same restrictions as applying in the first place is (e.g. age limit, points, etc).

In fact if you're not careful your visa might expire before you get there, if that 4 years stretches a bit!

Sorry if this is all coals to Newcastle. Also it's all from memory so I might be talking complete gonads!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Gabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really nice

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
You know you'll probably have to re-apply eventually in that case? It works like this: your visa is valid for entry to Oz for 5 years from the award date (presumably in the past couple of months?) After that point you can stay in Oz indefinitely but if you leave then you can't get back in. Normally the next step is either to re-apply or to get citizenship, but in your case you won't be able to satisfy the residence requirements for citizenship (something like a total of 2 years in the past 5), so if you want to be able to continue to leave and re-enter Oz then I think re-application is the only option. I have no idea if this is subject to the same restrictions as applying in the first place is (e.g. age limit, points, etc).

In fact if you're not careful your visa might expire before you get there, if that 4 years stretches a bit!

Sorry if this is all coals to Newcastle. Also it's all from memory so I might be talking complete gonads!
Two years in the previous five for citizenship application have nothing to do with the 5 years validity of the visa. It is just 5 years before the application, that's all. I checked with the Immigration in the airport when I did my validation trip. So you have 5 years during which you can stay out of Australia, if you wish so. You must return beforethe expiry date. After that you stay two more years in Australia and apply for citizenship.

Gabriel
Old Jun 20th 2004, 4:27 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Gabriel
Two years in the previous five for citizenship application have nothing to do with the 5 years validity of the visa. It is just 5 years before the application, that's all.
Quite right, my false conflation. Thanks for the correction.