Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got away with more than 20kgs on a student visa or other with singapore air

Anyone got away with more than 20kgs on a student visa or other with singapore air

Old May 6th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

sharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nice
Default Anyone got away with more than 20kgs on a student visa or other with singapore air

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has got away with more than the 20kgs allowance with singapore airlines.

We are going on a 2 year student visa so are not entitled to the 40kgs each unfortunately. What weight did you get away with each if you did get away with it without being charged? There are 4 of us going, 2 adults and 2 kids, mys sister says she always goes over the weight limit with them and never gets charged but dont want to chance it incase we do,

thanks

Sharon
Old May 6th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

GaznEm is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Anyone got away with more than 20kgs on a student visa or other with singapore ai

Hi Sharon,

We are also going out on a Student Visa in 4 weeks time. We've already tried e-mailing Singapore Airlines to see if we can get anymore baggage allowance and this was their reply:-

Thank you for the email.

Passengers emigrating to Australia are entitled to double baggage allowance providing they are holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to double baggage allowance on production of the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32kgs in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

Singapore Airlines policy on cabin baggage allows you to carry one item of cabin baggage only, per passenger, which must not weigh more than 7 kilos, and must not exceed 115cm in dimensions (height + depth + width). There are currently strict guidelines regarding to carry on baggage and we would strongly advise you to visit www.dft.gov.uk for these restrictions.

Hope this helps with your query. Thank you for choosing to fly Singapore Airlines.

Old May 6th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

sharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone got away with more than 20kgs on a student visa or other with singapore ai

I know, I got the same answer and that basically it was down to check in staff whether they charge or not!

great help eh?

Sharon
Old May 7th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone got away with more than 20kgs on a student visa or other with singapore ai

Originally Posted by sharonmcallister
I know, I got the same answer and that basically it was down to check in staff whether they charge or not!

great help eh?

Sharon
Hay Sharon,

We went Singapore (BA flight Glasgow to Heathrow). Our bags were all a little over, we had 4 big holdalls each with around 23kgs n they didn't bat an eye.

cheers
Mandy
Old May 7th 2008, 1:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

There are 4 of us going, 2 adults and 2 kids, mys sister says she always goes over the weight limit with them and never gets charged but dont want to chance it incase we do,
I reckon most of the time you will get away with 1 - 5 extra kgs. However as you say, you're better off not taking that chance as excess baggage fees are exorbitant and there's no point complaining to the airline if they decide to charge you. Yes some check-in agents may be more lenient than others but it's hardly up to the airline to guarantee this.....then they might as well just make the allowance 25kg.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:44 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

If you have extra stuff try a service like www.sevenseas.co.uk (I've used them myself). You can send stuff pretty cheaply door-to-door and it's easier then lugging it around!
Old May 7th 2008, 4:59 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has got away with more than the 20kgs allowance with singapore airlines.

We are going on a 2 year student visa so are not entitled to the 40kgs each unfortunately. What weight did you get away with each if you did get away with it without being charged? There are 4 of us going, 2 adults and 2 kids, mys sister says she always goes over the weight limit with them and never gets charged but dont want to chance it incase we do,

thanks

Sharon
WE flew SA on a 457 Visa, which is NOT a permanent migrant Visa, neither is yours. I actually popped into Heathrow the day before our flight (we were staying in a local hotel) and checked our allowances as, like others, the website and phone centres do not help much.
The SA desk told me that they actually allow 25kg in as many bags as you want, plus, hand luggage, plus a laptop bag/toybag for kids.
There was my wife and I and our 3 yr old son, we had 3 f##king big suitcases trolleys, 1 full suitcover/holdall trolley , 3 hand luggage trolleys, 1 pushchair and 1 toy rucksack for the little devil.
2 full luggage trolleys overflowing and all was fine!!! Even though the child was half fare he is still entitled to same full allowances.
So if you total it for 3 people it comes to 75kg, but, at Singapore for the changeover (after spending 2 days shopping at Vivo centre) our actual weight was 83kg, they never said a word!! But, if you stick to 75kg, as advised by the SA desk, you will be fine.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Two of us last week got through with 71 kg of checked luggage (split quite evenly over 3 cases) and about 30kg of hand luggage (2 trolley cases and a laptop bag) but we were entitled to 60kg checked luggage anyway. This was just SIN to SYD, BTW.

You gamble, if you do it - we were resigned to having to pay up if necessary.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:17 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

As already said Singapore will allow 25kg without any extra charges. 7kg in hand luggage, and wear as much as you can get on!
Old May 7th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
Two of us last week got through with 71 kg of checked luggage (split quite evenly over 3 cases) and about 30kg of hand luggage (2 trolley cases and a laptop bag) but we were entitled to 60kg checked luggage anyway. This was just SIN to SYD, BTW.

You gamble, if you do it - we were resigned to having to pay up if necessary.
How did you get away with 71kgs between 2? Were you allowed 30kgs each because you went business class? Did they not weigh your hand luggage if you had 30kgs in them? Hope that happens with us, think I will try up to the 25 or 26kgs and hopefully get away with it,

thinking of the kids mroe than us for clothes and some of their toys till our things arrive 10 weeks later,

Sharon
Old May 7th 2008, 9:32 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Sharon, I didn't post in great detail as I just did it on another thread.

My husband's Frequent Flyer status allows him an extra 20kg any time, but they wouldn't give me any extra even though we were on a one-way ticket (I am Krisflyer too, but basic level).

We made sure to spread the weight between the 3 cases so we didn't require a "Heavy" sticker and thus draw attention to it.

They didn't weigh the hand luggage - that seems to depend on the mood of the person checking you in! We just made an effort not to draw attention to it, and all 3 bags were well within size limits (a laptop bag is allowed as extra).

We deliberately got there early, nobody else at all was checking in - though we checked in at the BC/FF desk - and were our usual pleasant selves. A smile goes a long way.

(We've just found out our air freight may take almost as long as our sea freight, so glad we crammed the cases. Also glad I've bought a washer and the dryer is due any minute! Pack wisely.)