Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Best golf course is the Hervey Bay Golf Club. followed by craignish and then fraser lakes. Maryborough (20 mins drive south) has a lovely course as well. a phone call is essential to book a time and buggy is your not walking the course. Excellent time of year for a visit! enjoy.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missdaisymay
Best golf course is the Hervey Bay Golf Club. followed by craignish and then fraser lakes. Maryborough (20 mins drive south) has a lovely course as well. a phone call is essential to book a time and buggy is your not walking the course. Excellent time of year for a visit! enjoy.
Thanks very much for the reply,will follow info up with a couple of e-mails
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Lisa_Mick is on a distinguished road

Hi isle, Kiwinow and Lil Lis
Just wanted to update - I start a temping job tomorrow in Maryborough. Such a relief to get something administrative at last, even though its not permanent, its such a good feeling. When the agency rang me it cheered me up no end. I have been applying for the few permanent fulltime and part time positions but got nowhere. I will persevere though.

For those of you looking for jobs the local fraser coast chronicle paper job days are Wed and Sat. The positions are updated on the following websites as well - seek.com.au, search4jobs.com.au and careerone.com.au so have a look there and good luck job hunting. Also when you move here register with an agency. I found on our reccie trips that agencies were not interested in you until you made the move.

The OH has done his business management course, though that was messed up. Master Builders in Hervey Bay did not have enough people to do the August course (booked back in July) and cancelled it until end Sept. :curse: I got our money back and booked with S/T Construction Technique instead - they sent him the coursework to do at home and he has mailed back to them. Wish I had found out about this company before, he would have probably got his licence by now. We are waiting for the business management certificate to arrive and then he can get his Carpentry III certificate, then he can apply to the BSA for his Queensland carpentry licence. Its a lot of paperwork again, references, proof of work, photos, paying more money, but it will be worth it in the end. Just annoying when hes been in the trade over 25 years, already done all this for the TRA and having to do all this again for the cert III and then again for the BSA. Oh well....

All the best with renting or selling your houses in the UK and hope to see you all soon in the Toogoom/Maryborough/Hervey Bay area.
Lisa
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

That's great news Lisa. Hope it goes well.
My OH is not a master builder but has been building kitset garages and houses here (NZ) for 2 years. He has been told that he can get his blue card online, but is lacking the time to study at the moment. He wouldn't mind doing that or labouring if he has to, but I will file away that info about courses.
The job thing is such a worry as it could all go pear-shaped causing us to move to Brisbane or Mackay or somewhere which would be unsettling. For the size of the place there don't seem to be many jobs advertised in the papers or online.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Lil Lis is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by Lisa_Mick
Just wanted to update - I start a temping job tomorrow in Maryborough. Such a relief to get something administrative at last, even though its not permanent, its such a good feeling. When the agency rang me it cheered me up no end. I have been applying for the few permanent fulltime and part time positions but got nowhere. I will persevere though.

For those of you looking for jobs the local fraser coast chronicle paper job days are Wed and Sat. The positions are updated on the following websites as well - seek.com.au, search4jobs.com.au and careerone.com.au so have a look there and good luck job hunting. Also when you move here register with an agency. I found on our reccie trips that agencies were not interested in you until you made the move.

The OH has done his business management course, though that was messed up. Master Builders in Hervey Bay did not have enough people to do the August course (booked back in July) and cancelled it until end Sept. :curse: I got our money back and booked with S/T Construction Technique instead - they sent him the coursework to do at home and he has mailed back to them. Wish I had found out about this company before, he would have probably got his licence by now. We are waiting for the business management certificate to arrive and then he can get his Carpentry III certificate, then he can apply to the BSA for his Queensland carpentry licence. Its a lot of paperwork again, references, proof of work, photos, paying more money, but it will be worth it in the end. Just annoying when hes been in the trade over 25 years, already done all this for the TRA and having to do all this again for the cert III and then again for the BSA. Oh well....

All the best with renting or selling your houses in the UK and hope to see you all soon in the Toogoom/Maryborough/Hervey Bay area.
Lisa
Hey excellent news hope you will enjoy ur new job, & hope OH finds work soon too, I am sure he will.
Lil Lis
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Great news about the job Lisa. It may be only temping but you never know, they may find more work for you or at least give a good report of you to the agency. Thanks for the advice of where to job hunt in the area, I arrive in Jan so its good to know what days the Fraser Coast paper advertises jobs. Cookster, how was your girls night out? Hope you had a good one. X
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:59 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Arrive in HB permanently on 15th September. Furniture and everything planned for delivery on 17th, if container clears customs & quarantine as planned - if not we will be sitting on the garden furniture again.

Would love to be included in any meetups anyone is planning.

Good luck to everyone with their plans to move to Hervey Bay.

Gillian
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough

Hi Gillian, you must be so pleased about the final move. and the weather here is just awful just kidding. we were at a wedding on fraser island on saturday, and the gods really turned it on for our bride and groom.

Congrats on coming to a little peace of heaven.

Donna.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Great news about the job Lisa. It may be only temping but you never know, they may find more work for you or at least give a good report of you to the agency. Thanks for the advice of where to job hunt in the area, I arrive in Jan so its good to know what days the Fraser Coast paper advertises jobs. Cookster, how was your girls night out? Hope you had a good one. X
Hello there,
as usual the night out went on far too well, we drank far too much and got home far too late.
Rather jaded the next day too!!!!

Angela
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Wow. A wedding on Fraser Island would be cool.
A girlie night out in HB would be pretty cool too.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:06 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by missdaisymay
Hi Gillian, you must be so pleased about the final move. and the weather here is just awful just kidding. we were at a wedding on fraser island on saturday, and the gods really turned it on for our bride and groom.

Congrats on coming to a little peace of heaven.

Donna.
Thank Donna, What a wonderful place to have a wedding. We went on the dinner cruise to the island on the 5th August which was very nice, if not rather cold. Still it gave me an excuse to test the heating in the house, being the cold mortal that I am.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lisa_Mick

Lisa
Hi Lisa
How is the temping going, When do you take over the company LOL.

Ray2gill Good luck for when you reach the bay. We will about a month behind you, What part are you moving to.

Just a quick question , is there a gym with an in door pool in the bay. That anyone would recommend.

Mrs Isle
To the rest of you, looking forward to meeting you all.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of

Hi There - word of warning from my hubbie - HIS MOTHER IN LAW LIVES THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - he says thats why we moved to Victoria when we landed from the UK........

Seriously - It is a lovely place mom does live there feel free to email if you want any info.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:55 am
The Brains

[QUOTE=isle;6760583]

Ray2gill Good luck for when you reach the bay. We will about a month behind you, What part are you moving to.

Hi,

We have had a house built out a Wondunna - Huntingdale Park. Good luck with your move and may it all run smoothly.

Gillian
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Can I ask a really boring question?
What banks are in Hervey Bay?
Or, as I imagine you have most main banks there, which banks aren't in Hervey Bay?
We're going to open an account with an Oz bank soon and unless I ask this question sods law will mean we'll end up opening an account with the one bank not in Hervey Bay. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.