Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:18 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

I asked about a possible brochure today while we were up there, the only thing available was a photocopy of what I'd seen in the local free newspaper.
Here's the artists impression:

Last edited by cresta57; Jul 30th 2008 at 7:04 am.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the link to that article Cresta, it says the marina will expand over the next 5 years! I'm surprised it will take so long.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

How's everyone doing over there. We're in the middle of winter here ??? To give you an idea of the bizaarness of that statement, it was so lovely here yesterday i took the rugs of my horse so he could enjoy the warm sunshine. in fact the place is plagued with naked horseys enjoying our fabulous weather.

The new regional council (all qld councils have amalgamated so we dont have so many) has handed down the new years budget. If you want to have a look at whats proposed for the next 12 months in the area, have a look at their new website www.frasercoast.qld.gov.au Lots of interesting stuff there to look at.

For those of you moving in the next 6months to 2 years, and looking to purchase real estate, you couldnt have picked a better time. Advice from the real estates, banks and builders, its a buyers market (and we havent seen it truly bottom out yet) but the feeling is that in 2 - 3 years, it will recover and get stronger.

The Courier Mail, a Queensland newspaper has had recent articles that has named Hervey Bay as the most affordable seaside city on the Queensland coast to invest in.

So that's my little say for now. Hope everyones plans are happening as you wish.

Cheers

Donna.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:19 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by missdaisymay
Hi all,

enjoying our fabulous weather.

The new regional council (all qld councils have amalgamated so we dont have so many) has handed down the new years budget.

Donna.
Hi Donna,

Your weather will change on Tuesday as we will be arriving!

Many thanks for the budget link I was looking for that a couple of days ago.

Container was packed up on Thursday and will be on it's way this week hopefully. I felt sorry for the guys doing the loading in 47c temperature.

We are looking forward to some cooler fresh air without smog and building debris in the air.

Gillian
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Hey Gillian,

Yes you are right about the change in weather, and actually it starts tomorrow. We have showers/rain scheduled for the rest of the week. (So i probably shouldnt have been too smug about warm weather and naked horseys! ) Luckily it's not cold though. We are certainly experiencing a warmer and wetter winter than last year. Only 2 frosts to speak of so far, and we're heading to the last part of winter. Although traditionally we do get a cold snap again early in August.

Enjoy your trip and happy unpacking!

Donna.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Gillian,

Yes you are right about the change in weather, and actually it starts tomorrow. We have showers/rain scheduled for the rest of the week. (So i probably shouldnt have been too smug about warm weather and naked horseys! ) Luckily it's not cold though. We are certainly experiencing a warmer and wetter winter than last year. Only 2 frosts to speak of so far, and we're heading to the last part of winter. Although traditionally we do get a cold snap again early in August.

Donna.
...and if one of the current BoM models is to be believed it'll be seriously wild and wet by Thursday

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 20th 2008 at 4:04 am.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:05 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

The Courier Mail, a Queensland newspaper has had recent articles that has named Hervey Bay as the most affordable seaside city on the Queensland coast to invest in.
That's what they said about Noosa not so many years ago. Now, unless your rolliing in money, you can't afford to live there.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:27 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
...and if one of the current BoM models is to be believed it'll be seriously wild and wet by Thursday
Thanks for that Pollyanna! It means I will have frizzy hair to deal with again - oh what a pain.

Seriously though we are looking forward to being able to breath fresh unpoluted air and doesn't make you feel like you are in an oven.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:30 am
The Brains

Hey Gillian,

Donna.
Thanks Donna,

Unfortunately will be departing again in 5 weeks to extricate ourselves from Dubai - not looking forward to that challenge!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:08 am
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

I did notice a recent dip in house prices which was a pleasant surprise as I felt prices were rising quite quickly for a while there. We are still desparately trying to get out to Hervey Bay but I'm still waiting for a vacancy for a Social Worker. Can anyone help?????????? I am worried that the notion of emigrating will wear off as time goes on!!!! Very frustrating.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

I can only imagine your frustration. Are you able to go "outside the square" so to speak, and maybe your qualifications can help you in another direction. Hervey Bay does have a high population of older people, so we have quiet a few retirement villages and nursing homes. The government is also desperate to keep people in their homes longer due to shortages within these homes. I know these facilities have people come out and assess the older residents before they can be put on waiting lists and the like, or to sort out what they need to stay at home. Is there something that you can do in this sort of field. I'm not sure how you go about finding positions like this. My suggestion would be to contact the different homes, or the Hervey Bay Neighbourhood Centre offers all types of couselling (has its own website) http://www.hbnc.com.au/joomla/content/view/69/112/
or there is a womens health centre in Torquay http://www.herveybaybusinessdirector...Health-Centre/

Hope some of this helps, and don't lose faith.

Donna.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

I can only imagine your frustration. Are you able to go "outside the square" so to speak, and maybe your qualifications can help you in another direction. Hervey Bay does have a high population of older people, so we have quiet a few retirement villages and nursing homes. The government is also desperate to keep people in their homes longer due to shortages within these homes. I know these facilities have people come out and assess the older residents before they can be put on waiting lists and the like, or to sort out what they need to stay at home. Is there something that you can do in this sort of field. I'm not sure how you go about finding positions like this. My suggestion would be to contact the different homes, or the Hervey Bay Neighbourhood Centre offers all types of couselling (has its own website) http://www.hbnc.com.au/joomla/content/view/69/112/
or there is a womens health centre in Torquay http://www.herveybaybusinessdirector...Health-Centre/

Hope some of this helps, and don't lose faith.

Donna.
Hi Donna
We are hoping to be in HB October, We put our house up for rent yesterday with a move in date available sept/october. Fingers crossed we will manage to find a tenant, Because property's are not selling here, more and more are going to rent, it does not help us that the house 6 doors down as also gone up for rent. Same amount of bedrooms as well, put ours up for less so fingers crossed any one looking will have ours first. We are having to rent when we come but may be that will be good as we can check out different areas when we eventually have sold and are looking to buy.
Hubby is a wall and floor tiler & painter/decorator so hopefully he will get a job and I will have a go at anything. Need to work to stay so keep your fingers crossed.
mandy
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:06 am
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Hi Donna

Thanks for those links. I have been contacting other agencies but no success so far. Nothing for it but to keep trying!! As we say in Scotland "whats for you will not go by you". i'll let you know how I'm getting on.

Claire
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi Mandy,

Yes it probably is a good idea to rent first to get a lay of the land so to speak. As I've said before, 90% of the areas in Hervey Bay a great, but there are some you should stear clear of as we do have areas close to mangroves, and that means sandflies. Best way to find these out (apart from checking with locals) is to visit areas you like, early mornings or on dusk, and especially on still days. Everywhere has mozzies, you dont get away from them. But they are usually only nasty in summer for about 15 - 20 minutes on dusk.

You've also probably picked a good time for hubby to find work as that time of year, we builders are desperately trying to get our clients in by Christmas. The down side is that the building industry takes it annual break for about 3 - 4 weeks after christmas. My suggestion would be to try and get in with any of the bigger companies as they are more likely to have work ongoing than us little guys.

I've said before, if anyone wants any advice on what areas are better than others in the bay, let me know. I've no bias to any real estate agents (except for my sister who is a rental property manager here) and hubby's family has been here forever. But if you need a good builder, i can certainly help you there, i married one haha.

Keep battling on everyone, it will be so worth it in the end when you get here.

Cheers

Donna.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

But if you need a good builder, i can certainly help you there, i married one haha.
Cheers

Donna.
Hi Donna

We've been here about 8 months now and are thinking about building. Never done anything like it before. As an insider to the local market what are your tips for what to look out for - good and bad- when choosing a builder / style of building?

Which builder is you OH? (PM me if you'd rather.)

Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.